The World Cup

Mr Barguzin

The Argentines only win by cheating, punching the ball in to the goal, diving in the penalty area and using their entire navy and army to invade a group of British islands populated by a few shepherds.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Barguzin

• snowleopard

• allfurme

• introalfa

I dont know what you said but it was called for. So lets clam down here and look at the facts.

In such circumstances as the Malvinas, if Aregentina had used diplomacy would have meant they would have been Argentine territory now....it wasnt the claim...it was the invasion of soveriegn British territory.

Maradonna did cheat....and they do use every trick in the book.....but its a game of high passion...so you cant blame them.

But Argentina are a brilliant footballing nation and we should give them that respect.

However, they are UNMASTERED at polo.

If Polo does get into the London olympics, we may aswell give Argentina the Gold medal now. Their horsemanship at the game is unbelievable.

Give credit where credit is due if we are going to criticise too.

However.... about Patagonia.....it belongs to Wales.

And oh...English people, are you still wounded with The Hand of God??? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I think everybody still does - It's that sense of Fairplay which is lost on some nations...... Still the Druggie got caught a few years later taking Ephadrene

Back to footy though, good game & I think Argies will be relieved they got away with a win, Ivorians showed maybe a little nievity at times wheareas Argies 2 chances = 2 goals - still early days so wouldn't crow too much yet

In South American football the stakes are very high. remember one player got shot (killed) after the world cup a few years ago by a dissappointed fan.

Now there is a difference between cheating and cynical exploitation of loopholes.

One such loophole is the now changed law on offside.

Already I have seen it exploited (though only once significantly) by teams here.

What there is now is that a player can be offside if he isnt interfering with play.

However what is happening is players are deliberatley getting offside in non threatening situations to confuse and distract the defencsive line. That is bad...but its not technically cheating...but watch as the tournament develops...I will be surprised if its not an issue.

So no...I dont agree with chearing, or even exploiting loopholes as its not in the spirit of fair play. However to some teams it much more than a sport...so hardly surprising victory is more important than sportsmanship.

A recognition of what is, rather than what should be...is not an agreement with it.

SHAM 69 !!???

well good to see them back and an appropriate anthemic reinterpretation of "hurry up Harry".....except it hurry up England and were gonna win the cup. Fun from jimmy Purseys punk combo.

I think I asked for the refs to be fair and evenhanded in an earlier post.

Just as well G-d is...... even handed that is *grin*

This time it was the "body of G-d" rather than the hand.... and he actually managed to disprove the laws of physics by being in two places at the one time.

Anyways, Guus prevailed... as did Mr. Cahill and M. Aloisi And Duke's dun good, and Harry lasted the entire 90+ minutes. Four yellow cards may prove to be a pain, especially against Brazil... but then again... in Guus we trust.

Now, what about other teams?

Germany looked good, as have Czech republic, Poland and Italy. As for the Poms and Argentina..... the jury is still out.

this could be the World Cup that might, just might eliminate the "get a goal up and then sit on it" mental attitude of the Europeans and South American countries.... cause persistance sometimes DOES pay off.

Now, let's see how Brazil go against Croatia before I make any predictions about Australia V Brazil.

I think I asked for the refs to be fair and evenhanded in an earlier post.

Just as well G-d is...... even handed that is *grin*

This time it was the "body of G-d" rather than the hand.... and he actually managed to disprove the laws of physics by being in two places at the one time.

Anyways, Guus prevailed... as did Mr. Cahill and M. Aloisi And Duke's dun good, and Harry lasted the entire 90+ minutes. Four yellow cards may prove to be a pain, especially against Brazil... but then again... in Guus we trust.

Now, what about other teams?

Germany looked good, as have Czech republic, Poland and Italy. As for the Poms and Argentina..... the jury is still out.

this could be the World Cup that might, just might eliminate the "get a goal up and then sit on it" mental attitude of the Europeans and South American countries.... cause persistance sometimes DOES pay off.

Now, let's see how Brazil go against Croatia before I make any predictions about Australia V Brazil.

It's always nice to see the non-footy nationals speaking as if they've followed the game for years & know all 'bout it

"Get & Goal & sit on it" Mentality is a Latino thing, we oop North like to chase & run our sox off right to the end.....!

"Poland looked good"

"Juries still out on the Poms"

Gotta say I felt for Aussie cause they looked done it at HT & in that heat I could see them wilting like Engerland did, but fair play to them & it all turned on Gus subs (Our Man Cahill doing the Biz like he's done all year for the Toffee's - good to see his knee's ok!??) Reckon the game vs Croatia mind end up 9-a-side but yer in with a shout now!!!

Very Impressive start - Good on yer!!

Next up my Favs for the Cup - France

I thought Switzerland were unlucky not to snatch a win. Forget france on that evidence.

Czech Republic were my tip along with Ukraine. We havent seen the latter yet but the Czechs were hot.

I Never thought I'd ever be able to say this.... but check out the group F table..... yes folks, Australia are NUMBER ONE... for at least the next 5 days *grin*

BUT have a strange chilling feeling that the real Brazil will stand up on next monday morning (my time)...... and can see us being well and truly canned.

Ah well, **it happens.

Come on Mr B, look on the positive side. These Brazilians are there for the taking. If they start with big fat, big fat Ron again your boys might just spring a shock. Mind you I think the croatian defence might just be a tad beter organised than your boys. Havent you got a Palace defender back there somewhere (that cant be right)

Also it must be time for Harry Kewell to finally do something during a big game, heaven knows he's been waiting his whole life and has never contributed thus far.

Good to see Cahill grab a couple always rated him. I take it the reason he didnt start was that he wasnt 100 per cent fit?

Missed the rugby on the weekend fortunately. Robinson Out!!! We are going knowhere with him. Can't see him developing anything. At least Clive always was working towards the big one.

HMmmmmm before making any comments, here's summat to ponder that has to do with statistical sampling... also known as "just how do TV ratings work?"

According to the official ratings business in Oz, the ratings for the Mainland Capitals for the match Australia V Japan played at 11.00 PM or 23.00 hrs and finishing at 1.00 AM or 01.00 Hrs averaged out at 2,166,000 (Gave SBS the broadcaster a night share of 19.3 ... close to their best ever I'd say)

So, I thought... hmm that's just Sydney, melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth..... ssssssssssooooooooooooo what if I did a bit of extrapolation on those figures given a rough guide to city and aussie population.

Folks, According to my figures, 4,350,000 aussies watched that match AT HOME GAwd only knows how many others were at the pub or park or club or wherever. 21%......... Amazing... and we don't follow Football... just wait 'til we do WEG

Snowleaopard.. from an Aussie standpoint, it was just GOOD to see him competing for the full 90 minutes. If I recall, he showed what he could do against the Poms in 2003 WEG but the best will come in this tournament... when we least expect it.

I thought Switzerland were unlucky not to snatch a win. Forget france on that evidence.

Czech Republic were my tip along with Ukraine. We havent seen the latter yet but the Czechs were hot.

Yep defo - shoulda been more adventurous earlier & maybe they'd sneaked one

&

Yep BUT..... I think the Czechs are gonna miss the big man Koller & need Baros back in a hurry if their gonna progress past Italy & then possibly Brazil - I'll take Czech's (40.0) or Italians (12.0) over Brazil anyday mind.

Ukraine, now I'm hoping they won't go the way of previous Russian & former states of the past teams, they got the talent now hope they jus go out & play, win the group & a QF place at least beckons for them. Spain are odds on to win today so a little on Ukraine (5.5) isn't a bad punt

Either way I hope todays games are better than yesterday's fare

Maybe we been spoilt as apart from England's 2nd half all the games to date have been fantastic

How's the head Mr B?

Got the alarm set for Sunday.....or is it Saturday for you?

Hmm when has the UK been ahead of Oz timewise?? WEG..... Game starts at hmmmm I think it is 2.00AM MONDAY Morning *sigh*

Oh, and hope you weren't able to get any money on Ukraine, cause after 26 mins, it is 2-0 Spain... and not bad goals either.

Hmm when has the UK been ahead of Oz timewise?? WEG..... Game starts at hmmmm I think it is 2.00AM MONDAY Morning *sigh*

Oh, and hope you weren't able to get any money on Ukraine, cause after 26 mins, it is 2-0 Spain... and not bad goals either.

Oh YES but created enough of a window to cover on the Draw & Spain.... In fact I don't really care what result I get, jus Ukraine pays out more

Well Spain look good. However I think they were flattered by some very bad refereeing. Ukraine should have had an early equalizer, and that was never a penalty let alone a sending off.

Same with germany tonight. They TRIED to get that guy sent off and succeeded. They fell over every time they came into contact with him (Ballack especially...who is a master of that tactic) and it worked....the guy ran across him after taking it off his mates foot and crossing him....cost Poland the match.

Well, well, well.

England's hero returns and England win the game 2-0...... by goals actually scored by their own team members.

Pity that the last (first) T&T goal was disallowed, cause 2-0 FLATTERED the Poms, incredibly so.

Now, wouldn't it be interesting if Sweden and Paraquay draw... really make for a congested race for the 2nd spot.... and the result would be in all teams' hands what with Paraquay V T&T and Sweden V England in the final round.

Well, well, well.

England's hero returns and England win the game 2-0...... by goals actually scored by their own team members.

Pity that the last (first) T&T goal was disallowed, cause 2-0 FLATTERED the Poms, incredibly so.

Now, wouldn't it be interesting if Sweden and Paraquay draw... really make for a congested race for the 2nd spot.... and the result would be in all teams' hands what with Paraquay V T&T and Sweden V England in the final round.

Svengali majic fellah - Lulling you all into false sense o security