The World Cup

Mr Barguzin

Hi ho hi ho, t'is off to Allemagne we go....

just keep on playing as we have... hi ho hi ho hi ho

Hi Ho Hi Ho we're in the cup ya know

We may win one or two or none

but we're there we're there... WE'RE THERE!!!

Sorry that it don't really scan proper... but what does ya expect from an aussie football fan who thinks that football is either Rugby Union, Rugby League or Aussie Rules *grin* (Go SWANNIES!!!)

BUT since our last inglorious appearance in 1974... funnily enough in Germany then as well, well, has been a trying time for we aussies on the World Football Stage..... except when we beat England hmm 3-1?? *grin* and Brazil 2-1 I think it was at a Confederations Cup tournie.

Anyways we are there now.... and so the fun begins. Guus as coach.. Dukes as Captain and Harry wants to show Liverpudlians just how good he can really be... and there are others players from EPL, and Italy and BElgium and Holland et al. Oh and even a couple of local players *grin*

Will we win? a game? I sure as hell hope so.. maybe even two (a draw with Brazil will be a topper *grin*) Would be nice to get through to the second round and run up against England WEG or the US VVWEG.

However I can feel quite a few late nights coming on *Sigh* whatever happens.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Barguzin

• snowleopard

• allfurme

• introalfa

Wasn't there just a big scandall with the Italians conspiring to fix matches and all that? From what I heard, the story made it look like the mob was in on the fix and everything!

Or was that last year? The story I heard on NPR radio was about ramping up to the World Cup and talked about the Italians' history of corruption.

The head of the Italian team was quoted as saying, "People just complain against me because my team wins all the time and they lose too much!"

It is on-going and effects Juventus... this time. In the past, Palma and a couple of other teams have been at the centre of various similar scandals.

I doubt if it actually reflects on the Azurri, other than via team selections.... how's that fur an open-ended statement *grin*

For more details:

http://theworldgame.com.au/italy/index.php?pid=st&cid=71344

Would be nice to get through to the second round and run up against England WEG or the US VVWEG.

Sadly, the earliest England and Australia can meet are the semi-finals. Australia could face the US in the second round, but in order for that to happen one of them would need to win their group. Whilst it's conceivable that the US spring a surprise on Italy, I can't see them bettering the Czech Republic, and the chances of Australia topping a group that includes Brazil would seem slim to say the least.

Still, it shouldn't stop us all from dreaming. People in this country are seriously talking about England winning the tournament, so hope is abundant. My opinion? If the first 11 stay fit (or get fit in Mr Rooney's case...) then they have a chance. My concerns are the lack of strength in depth, and the consistency of the team: if everyone plays well then they're good enough, but it seems all too rare that they all perform together...

Who would have thought Greece would have won the European Championships? They were 250/1 outsiders at the start.

My tips are The czech republic and the Ukraine.

Problem is with England is we play without spirit until we are in an almost impossible situation.

What I like about the eastern euripean game is its ruthlessness at disposing of teams that others like England give too much respect too and get in trouble. Russia for example was the only team that beat greece in the European championships.

The USA have performed well in the last few world cups and may spring a few surprises. Australia could go far....until their progress is interrupted by a swarm of flying pigs

Who would have thought Greece would have won the European Championships? They were 250/1 outsiders at the start.

My tips are The czech republic and the Ukraine.

Problem is with England is we play without spirit until we are in an almost impossible situation.

What I like about the eastern euripean game is its ruthlessness at disposing of teams that others like England give too much respect too and get in trouble. Russia for example was the only team that beat greece in the European championships.

The USA have performed well in the last few world cups and may spring a few surprises. Australia could go far....until their progress is interrupted by a swarm of flying pigs

Greece rules!! Haha

what we lived the last Euro championship was amazing. Too bad we didn't make it to the World Cup, but it was because the Albanians and Ukranians didn't need points and handed the victory to te Turks.

My opinion is England, Spain or Argentina could do it this year. They are great teams and did not do anything good for many long years. I would also not be surprised to see a team like Ghana or another African team making it to the semifinals. Last world cup was a marketing openng for Asia, and they pushed Korea to the semifinals. It could happen now as well.

Hmmmmmm Nerds FC 2

Olympic 14

OOOOOOOOOOOPpppssss sorry, wrong site *grin*

Now let's get back to reality...... Australia 1 Greece 0.....

Will we get past the first round? Who knows. And to be perfectly honest, not even Brazil is guaranteed a spot in the second round at the moment. All the games are being played in a very safe place... away from the pitch, and as "friendlies" (opinion may change if Oz beat Dutch on Sunday MT).

The days are dwindling before the real thang starts, and it is at that point that all the thoughts of all the pundits will be for nought as it will be the players on the various pitches who will determine just what does happen in this year's World Cup.

Oh, and Puhlease... Refs... remember YOU ain't the showponies... you is the drafthorses... so act accordingly.... and be even handed.. to ALL!!

Hmmmmmm Nerds FC 2

Oh, and Puhlease... Refs... remember YOU ain't the showponies... you is the drafthorses... so act accordingly.... and be even handed.. to ALL!!

Agreed BUT After the protection Ronaldinho & the cheats of Barca got in the Champions League Final I fear for the competitive nations this summer, everyone banging on bout the Samba skills is getting right on my wick at the mo' - hope Aussie gives them a right kicking!!!! (& get away with it )

Tip for the cup - France - Thierry has some unfinished buisness this season & his pace will kill most sides & at 15.5 on the exchanges a very good price

Dark Horses - Croatia (QF), Serbia & Montenegro (Could beat Holland for 2nd place), both qualified with relative ease & Yogoslavia was always a hotbed for footie players.

Tip for the Final

France vs England!!! If they get past the Argies in the QF!!!

Some football jokes;

* enter team name as preferred

The * goal keeper was so depressed with his form so he decided to end it all. He jumped in front of a bus and it went under him.

There was a fire at * football ground. Somebody cried, "quick rescue the cups". so they all ran to the tea room.

A * fan of thirty years died and at his request was stuffed and on match day placed in the stands. At half time he got up and walked out.

A * supporter was in a panic. "Goodness", he said, "I've lost my season ticket and a box of matches". A fellow supporter looked up and consoled him, "don't worry mate, i'll give you a light"

Okay. Second-last friendly before the real stuff starts.

Australia 1 The Netherlands 1

Australia played last 30 mins with just 10 players, but the first half was basically a football lesson for the Aussies. The second half, methinks Guus said a few "kindly English Expressions" cause we did start closing them down in the first 15 mins. So, #5x v #3 in the world at home. Personally I'd have settled for a 2-1 loss, but guess you just can't get passed that fighting aussie spirit *grin*

Next stop Luxemburg... and then the real fun starts.

BTW, was rather cosy to watch a soccer match wrapped i fur. If you've never done it before, and it is your thing... try it. Of course, does help I guess if the temp is 10-11C and wet.

Thank the lord a world cup thread. In my element now!!!

Firstly Mr B use of the term EPL is not to be encouraged. I take it that means English Premier League over there. Thats almost as bad as calling it soccer. Its football or footy all other terms are just wrong.

As for the draw that your boys achieved with 10 men against the dutch. Well quite frankly i am suprised that is acceptable to you. After all your cricket team only had 1 player last summer and they still nearly got a draw in the ashes. (Of course that 1 player did drop said ashes when he put down super kev at the oval)

I also think France may be dangerous. Henry is the best in the world for me and Trezeguet is also dangerous. If ZZ can fire the midfield they can still be a big threat, though the defence and keeper are dodgy and the coach sounds like a nut job.

Brazil will get knocked out in the second round by the Italians who will only finish second in there group to the Cechs. The italians will then lose to spain as over confidence sets in.

The final will be England V France or Argentina. I dont care really becuase Peter Crouch is going to head the winner at the back stick after coming on as a second half sub. England in fact win every game. Rooney will be beck by the quarters to destroy the portugese in a revenge mission for the last euro championships. The spanish are undone in the semis and then crouchy nets the winner as we win the final 2-1. You heard it here first

Snowleopard

For the Poms to draw 1-1 with the Orangemen might be a downer, but for the Aussies who have a relatively new head coach/manager and are getting used to a new style plus playing their second trial match, well, without Schwatter we could have been done by a whole lot more. What was encouraging is that we didn't fall in a heap after the dismissal and maintained form and possession when required... and Scwatter pulled off a few doozies *grin*

Now comparing the Socceroos with the Aussie cricket team is like comparing your tennis players with the Poms World Cup Rugby winning team*grin*. You like it when they (the tennis players) win... but are not surprised when they fail to make the Quarters of Wimbledon. And as for just a one man team... well, methinks you got that wrong....if ya means Warnie... cause the real gap was oh-Ah Glenn McGrath and his twisted ankle at training. He was a bigger loss. One could also chuck in the selectors failure to select Stuey mcGill in the last two tests... Two different Leggies would have had you poms in a right proper spin.... hmmmmmmm what happened with you lot against Murali in the last test?? WEG

England 2-1?? Possible.... Does that mean that they will play Australia to wipe out that tarnish on their record?? you know... the 3-1 from a couple of years ago...... When frnk Farina was coach, not GUUS!! *grin*

Look we dont do spinners over here. Murali, Warney anyone who bowls remotely slowly is gonna cause us problems. As for suggesting playing two leggys agaisnt us thats just darn unsportsmanlike.

Yeah you did miss glen as he has destroyed us plenty of times but then he should have watched where he put those clumsy big feet in training. After his loss you were pretty much all about Warney.

Quite frankly i dont get the comparison with the tennis players and the rugby. Our tennis players have always sucked. Timid tim just annoys me and dont get me started on that miserable brat Murray. Must say i did like greg though at least he had a bit of fight. The rugby boys however are a different kettle of fish. They were the best simple as, they peaked at the right time and no matter how much your coach bad mouthed us all through the build up, your ageing side was running scared. As for the rugby at the minute i hearby congratulate you on your forthcoming mauling of what will be an experimental english touring side to say the least.

Lets not mention that game at upton park. I might have known that the first time the side played at the home of my team it would all go pear shaped. Still for this world cup i would like to see you guys get to the second round if only for skippy lazaridis who played for us for a few years

Well, Skippy might very well be in the run-on side come monday.... And harry might be in the run-on side.... with a young 'un who just might cause a few palpitations amongst the defenders of Brazil, Croatia... AND Japan waiting for about 60 minutes to pass and then replace him. name?? Kennedy, Josh Kennedy. An Aussie Bolter *grin* Nothing like a surprise present.

Now about the Wallabies v Britain on Sunday night.... well, new coach... new members, but still Peter Hewitt (no relation to the other one *grin*) can't even make a 43 man training squad *GROAN* So, we might actually give you a run fur ya money.

Word of warning... Come the Sydney test, Warnie AND Stuey SHOULD be selected.... if they haven't been in at least one test beforehand (either Melbourne or Adelaide) Glen McGrath may be back, but there are a coupe of newbies who just might continue his good work... and Dizzy just might want to prove that he isn't a spent force.

Yet *grin*

HMmmmm England 2 Lichtenstein 0

Australia 4 Lichenstein 0

(Okay... ok.. so one of 'em was an own goal..... BUT>>................)

Have you still got the old villa keeper mark Bosnic?

Trinidad and Tobago still have Dwight Yorke.

I think you will find Snowleopard that last year Wales won the Grand Slam....yet only three welsh players were selected for tour with the Lions which sucked.

thats why I wont be supporting England.....victory is bad for the British....look how bad wales have got at Rugby this year. We are at best when fighting back....I start cheering them on when they are a couple of goals down but find it painfully boring when they are a couple of goals up.

Like we played against Cameroons (3-3) or in defeat against Germany in the European cvhampionships when we lost on penalties...but we played with spirit.

Dont undersetimate Germany...they are at home. And the Czech republic arent far away either. But I think Ukraine will play very well. i hope all the underdogs play out of their skins and teach the bigger teams a lesson or two.

I thought we'd banished him to the backwoods of Nottinghamshire. Would you believe that Dwight was a star player for Sydney City FC when they won this year's Premiership? HMmmmmmm maybe we should see about getting him to switch allegiances to Australia WEG

waltzing marilda waltzing matilda you'll come a waltzing matilda with me...will be ringing out in my head when you put yout first goal in the net. I would love to see Australia...and the US actually, wipe the smug faces of a few of the big boys.

I didnt know Dwight played in Oz...wondered where he got to.

Results so far for you Americans who dont know whats going on:

germany 4 costa rica 2

Poland 0 Ecuador 2

England 1 Paraguay 0

Incredibly , as I speak, Trinidad and Tobago are holding Sweden 0 - 0 at half time,and this in itself is a feat , but thay are doing it well and have had a few good dtrikes on goal themselves. Old Dwight Yorke is playing a blinder, as is the white guy, and Chaka Hislop in goal has made some tremendous saves...not bad for a cricketer. And someone is playing who plays for Gillingham ...in the world cup...its incredible.

Are you Americans following it? Its a really international sport, there will be giant killing galore, and you guys are in it so I hope youre watching.

England were good in the first half but very negative in the second.....I though Pataguay deserved to get one back.

Ecuador were impressive defensively and good on the break....they made Poland look devoid of ideas but they seemed to have two Ecuadorians on them whenever they moved.

Nou doubt, folks: the World Cup Champion will be my country, ARGENTINA!!! Don't discuss about probabilities, just watch the Celeste Y Blanca and enjoy with our players.

If Trinidad And Tobago, the smallest country ever to compete in a world cup, can hold the mighty Sweden with ONLY 10 men....then anything can happen.

It is an utterly incredible result. These boys play for the likes of Gillingham and Wrexham and Los Angeles Galaxy(?!) for goodness sake.

That was as brave and heroic game as I have ever seen despite the fact ther were no goals. THAT is why football can be so great....you dont need golas to enjoy it...its about endeavour.

We sahll see what Argentina are made of now...I heard they got beaten by Parguay; so they arent invincible. Hand of God indeed.

I have an Argentina polo shirt, so everyone thinks I support them! So your boys had better not show me up here....

Edited by Guest

Nou doubt, folks: the World Cup Champion will be my country, ARGENTINA!!! Don't discuss about probabilities, just watch the Celeste Y Blanca and enjoy with our players.

HA HA!!

2nd Group of Death & Like Japan You go Home in the group stages!!!!

1st Holland

2nd Ivory Coast

No Messi Tonight!! What's that bout? Too many changes in the warm up games will hurt you I think & if Riquelme (world class Yes) doesn't perform you'll loose the plot...... & with that dodgy D of yours......!

I got 2-2 tonight for this one - Need it after T&T heriocs

you werent far off Furelli...I thought the ref let the argentinians off with some sly little cynical trips and also some bad time wasting in the last few minutes. Taking a minute and a half of stoppage time with a substitution was bad.

When Argentina can be as brilliant as they were in the first half it is annoying when they resort to stuff like that....it just took the sting out of some of Ivory coasts attacks; stopped them building momentum...especially when I counted at least five that the ref paid no attention to.