• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• ThoughtFox

• Worker 11811

• White Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrcQqCii4Rk

I must have heard this song on the radio a dozen times in the past week. A blast from da past.

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.

If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.

If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.

You're the love that I've looked for, come with me, and escape."

E's post re: flight instruction put me in the mood ...

Oh, kiss me and smile for me

Tell me that you'll wait for me

Hold me like you'll never let me go

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

I don't know when I'll be back again

Oh, babe, I hate to go

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered this song ("Making Love Alone") last weekend and found it amusing. Song starts at 1:40.

There's a special kind of bliss, not engendered with a kiss. Syruptitiously indulged in less well known. For when one cannot make love with another, one can still make love alone.

There's a certain special magic to the touch of your own hand. And a special thrill knowing that you will for sure soon be feeling grand. And the tender smell of rapture, you don't have to try to postpone, that's what it's like when your Making Love Alone.

Oh the sweet sound of your own breathing, as the sky turn pale pink to hot, and the special thrill knowing that you will not catch god only knows what.

How reassuring to know when it's finally time to go that you'll still be there when you leave, and as dawn is breaking you hear yourself making a date for New Years Eve.

It's the kind of love that fits hand in glove, especially when the glove is your own! For the date when you can see their faces, the one who knows all the best places, who'll never ask your sign on the phone, no no no signs, due to the simple magic of making love, not taking, faking, mistaking love, the simple magic of Making Love Alone. Save on cologne! That's what its like when you're Making Love Alone.

Saw this video for first time this evening. Kinda weird. But still one of my favorite '80's songs. Gotta love the signature Steinman "Wall of Sound".

I've been trying for hours just to think of what exactly to say.

I thought I'd leave you with a letter or a fiery speech

like when an actor makes an exit at the end of a play.

And I've been dying for hours trying to fill up all the holes with some sense.

I'd like to know why you gave up and you threw it away,

I'd like to give you all the reasons and what everything meant.

If I could only find the words then I would write it all down,

If I could only find a voice I would speak.

Oh, it's there in my eyes, oh, can't you see me tonight --

Come on and look at me and read 'em and weep!

We let the past slip away, and put the future on hold,

Now the present is nothing but a hollowed-out dream.

It's there in my eyes and coming straight from my heart,

It's running silent and angry and deep!

It's there in my eyes, and it's all I can say,

Come on look at me and read 'em . . . and weep!

"Being Alive" - One of musical theatre's best songs sung by one of musical theatre's greatest ladies.

Someone to hold you too close

Someone to hurt you too deep

Someone to sit in your chair

And ruin your sleep

And make you aware of being alive

Someone to need you too much

Someone to know you too well

Someone to pull you up short

And put you through hell

And give you support for being

alive

Make me alive, make me confused

Mock me with praise, let me be used

Vary my days, but alone is alone,

not alive

Somebody hold me too close

Somebody force me to care

Somebody make me come through

I'll alway be there

As frightened as you of being alive

Someone you have to let in

Someone whose feelings you spare

Someone who, like it or not

Will want you to share a little, a lot

of being alive ...

• 1 month later...

"Being Alive" - One of musical theatre's best songs sung by one of musical theatre's greatest ladies.

Someone to hold you too close

Someone to hurt you too deep

Someone to sit in your chair

And ruin your sleep

And make you aware of being alive

Someone to need you too much

Someone to know you too well

Someone to pull you up short

And put you through hell

And give you support for being

alive

Make me alive, make me confused

Mock me with praise, let me be used

Vary my days, but alone is alone,

not alive

Somebody hold me too close

Somebody force me to care

Somebody make me come through

I'll alway be there

As frightened as you of being alive

Someone you have to let in

Someone whose feelings you spare

Someone who, like it or not

Will want you to share a little, a lot

of being alive ...

Thanks for sharing all these links. I've really enjoyed listening to these tracks!

Now it's Guilty Pleasure time:

This song is silly but quite cleverly written. I like the Sound of Music allusion in the video...

Edit to add: As you can see, I have impeccable taste in music...

Just listening to an old album called Mason Wililiams Phonograph Record. Some of the old albums of that area had real class. This one for instance actually has an overture to it, etc. And the pieces on it really do tend to be a masterpiece. Not really rock. Not really folk. Definitely NOT classical though there were a few similarities on the way it was done with a tiny orchestra, etc.

For those of you who don't know Mason WIlliams was about the same time as the Smothers Brothers. I believe that he might have been involved with the music of their show on TV if I remember correctly.

On this one there is a really neat little song about Dylan Thomas. On the other of his albums (seem to recall he only had two) was a particularly interesting one called J Edgar Swoop. A real comedy song but a substantial bit of comment thrown in as this was right around the time of the Woodstock era!

Anyhow, just a thought as I listen to it while working. A classy album.

Another album where they were really kind of exploring the idea of an album being more than just a collection of songs was one by the Carpenters. Don't remember the name for sure (too lazy to get it to find out), but they recreate a lookback to the early rock era. Late 50's and early 60's. It has a radio announcer, and the whole works. Really a classy idea! Both were attempts to make a record into more than a record.

W

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite songs. Originally done in England in the 80's by girl group Pandora's Box ... Re-done in the US in the 90's by Celine ... Both versions are purt durn awesome. I think this is the song that made Celine a full blown star.

But when you touch me like this

And you hold me like that

I just have to admit

That it's all coming back to me ...

• 1 month later...

Have just listened recently to a couple of albums by a couple of guys called .... "Perrey - Kingsley".

Now then, my bet here is that not one person here would know who they are. I should probably wait to see it anyone really does. Maybe someone like OFF might. A music lover and collector from the past.

Well I am not even sure but think that "Perrey - Kingsley" are two guys from the past. It would be dead easy to find out with a search but some times it is nice to wonder. A bit of mystery.

They are credited with being among the first to fool around with computer music. Back then was the days of an instrument called a Moog Synthesizer. (pronounced as if it was written moag) It was also by times called a Theremin. I am not certain on the difference. Sometimes they are considered similar. Sometimes not. I think that a Moog is like a particular type of Theremin if I am not mistaken.

The moog looked VERY much like an old LARGE telephone operator's console with a keyboard. the old jumpers with the phone plugs on the end to join any line to any others. And infinite dials and switches besides. This was the first electronic music that lead to things like rhythm sections on electronic organs, etc. The music that these guys made was totally and completely experimental. That is. You might hear something like a machine gun shot in the middle of a song like "strangers in the night". It might sound like it was coming from outer space being played by Martians. Or it might sound very similar to pipe organ music.

In some cases it actually makes you laugh to listen to it. I am sure that this is probably still available. I did not check, but there are few things from the 60's that aren't these days. If anyone likes fast funloving music from that era their records are great. The two I have at least. They may have only made two. I have not checked. I've also got another called "switched on country" by another experimenter but don't recall his name without looking up the album again.

Yep it is music. Yep it is unbelievable similar to 60's music in some ways. And Yep, it is from "Way out there". Just like the title of one of the albums! Well worth a listen.

Now then. Has anyone here ever heard a full album of Moog music? I am betting one person might have but probably not. And no more than one. Let's see how close that I am. Others may well have heard some but my bet is that they have forgotten it completely if they have.

W

Had this song running through my head ... Love Gloria ... Never seen video before ...

'cause when I close my eyes

I still can see your smile

it's bright enough to light my life

out of my darkest hour

please believe it's true

when I tell you i love you

Were you raised as a conservative Lutheran too?!? Oh the guilt!!

I occasionally refer to myself as a "Recovering Baptist".

Just listening to an old album called Mason Wililiams Phonograph Record. On this one there is a really neat little song about Dylan Thomas.

"Dylan Thomas has come and gone,

Come and gone, come and gone.

Dylan Thomas has come and gone.

His blood turned to words."

That's Mason William's whole song about Dylan Thomas. I remember it well as well as "Classical Gas" his one and only hit. Still have the LP; time perhaps to burn it to CD and iphone.

That whole album was absolutely beautiful. Done with so much class!!!

The other J Edgar Swoop was a great song too if you listened to the words. Don't recall the whole thing though.

There once was an eagle who was not very regal by the name of J Edgar Swoop

Story goes on that J Edgar was not behaving properly so they had to replace him as the American symbol. And the best replacement they could come up with was the poodle. Hilarious little song actually. And pretty pointed for it's time period too.

No power metal in these posts??

Err ... As someone who spent his formative years listening to The Carpenters, Carly Simon, and Carole King, "power metal" is currently outside my musical realm.

Oh, c'mon! Tell me you haven't at least listened to Led Zeppelin!

Err, wasn't that destroyed in a fiery crash in New Jersey in the 30's?

Yes JG did you not hear? It took them all this time but they finally found out how it crashed too!

It was made of lead! Instead of aluminum or something like that.

W