For the music lovers in the den...

ThoughtFox

Just wondering what music you like or are listening to at the moment - any favourite artists, bands, composers, pop groups etc? Actually, while we're at it, what music do you not like? This is a less frequently asked question but an interesting one in my view. Any artists/composers you feel get too much credit.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• ThoughtFox

• Worker 11811

• White Fox

There was a thread something like this back on Melody.

I'm a classical/Folk/Jazz lover.

Some Pop/Rock but mostly the older stuff of course like Pink Floyd.

I like Contemporary Classical very much along with Baroque.

Though Beth Orton, Tracy ChapmanWillie Nelson, Indigo Girls and Lucinda Williams too.

OFF

That was a great thread too. OFF, is there a way to bring that over here? I think all we really can do is post a link. Correct?

Linda

Great topic, Thoughtfox!

The musical idiom I'm most familiar with and that I find overall most satisfying has what for me seems an inadequate name: classical. In that tradition, the composers I most strongly identify with are the German symphonists Beethoven forward: Schubert, Brahms, Mahler, and Bruckner along with music dramatist Wagner. An outlier but nonetheless a favorite is Tchaikovsky. I love plenty else in this European longhair tradition as I've heard it sometimes nicknamed, but if a radio service doesn't serve up a share of this repertoire I'm likely to get restless. Over rated? I'd say Respighi gets played way too often, though I do love his orchestration of Rossini "La Botique Fantast" or something like that.

If it doesn't stray too far from your topic, your question brings to mind the strained relationship I've had with music and my love of fur. Maybe some of the fetishists here would identify. I believed that my love of furs emasculated me. I was determined to strangle it. This repressive attitude left me scarcely a spiritual connection, but I found spirituality in the passions of this music. The thing is, because I found the music so rewarding, I didn't consider myself worthy of it unless I'd refrained from fur fantasies for however many days. And I even set up a calendar so I'd know at what date I could listen to a given favorite. If I remember correctly, I had to go without all music of my choosing for three or four days. Once I'd regained choice in music at all, there were still more cherished works that I wouldn't allow myself without more abstinence. Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto no sooner than a week. Beethoven's fifth symphony at two weeks. Saint Saens Organ Symphony was out there too, I believe something more than three weeks. At 46 days Beethoven's ninth symphony. Finally at 92 days, I'd allow myself all the works on my old CBS Masterworks LP with Ormandy and the Philadephia Orchestra: Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Walz from Eugin Onegin, and Romeo and Juliet Overture Fantasy.

For the most part this was a very private ordeal. I don't know if my mother knew the particulars of what it was about but she did say something of how good I was to be doing such a thing. For 11 months of the years of my life that I endured this treatment, I had a girlfriend, and this rigid set of rules created some conflict then.

What a compulsive life I lived back then! Music deprivation wasn't the only punishment I tried to control this part of my life, but it was certainly a big paddle to pummel myself with. I'm so glad I'm not still stuck in that foul place!

Thanks for this opportunity to share a bit from my bad old days. And if there's anyone lurking here that can identify with that kind of experience, you're not the only one, and life can certainly get better. I deserved better treatment from myself and so do you!

frugalfurguy

A Mass by Arvo Part is playing over KPBS as I write this. Heavenly music in the extreme. Contemporary as it gets with "Classical" music yet unbelevably rest full. It is final music for the dead after all.

Then the oposite extreme is Biondi playing Vivaldi .. any Vivaldi but especially The Four Seasons. Rock never rocked this fantastic and not an electrical current flowing

Or the extreme mania of A. Schnittke .. the crazy Russian. Wild and harry.

Most Rock after this is anti-climactic

OFF

Hello Frugalfurguy and thank you so much for your thoughtful post. I know that it is difficult to talk about such a sensitive subject and I really appreciate you sharing it, particularly as it reassures people like me that we are not alone. I am glad that you are, like me, somewhat more reconciled now to the way you are. I am sure that there are many in the den who can identify with the feelings you describe. I'm also a big fan of classical music and it's interesting to note that a lot of people here seem to be - perhaps there is a connection between classical music and fur, who knows! Love the composers you mentioned, and I'm also a big admirer of Verdi, one of the greatest melodists in my view. I tend to be very choosey when it comes to pop music these days, particularly as it seems to have degenerated in recent times (I can't stand the world of Simon Cowell and pop idol!). I've always loved the Beatles and although it is true that Paul McCartney lost all inspiration after they split, I do feel he deserves equal credit with John Lennon for his outstanding contribution to popular music.

Boy, I just about remember that last thread about what music we each listen to - almost decended into a theological debate about music as art, if I recall correctly.. Let's just hope that doesn't happen again!!

Anyway, have been listening to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes a lot recently - their versions of "Annie's Song" and "On the Road Again" are excellent, but their cover of the Dixie Chicks' "Goodbye Earl" is top notch!!

Well, I grew up in New Jersey in the 1970s and spent pretty much every waking hour in Asbury Park, so that ought to give you a clue as to who I listen to regularly. Apart from Springsteen and other Jersey shore artists, my tastes run to classic rock - Stones, U2, etc. to 'garage rock' - White Stripes, Ravonettes, Mooney Suzuki, etc. to alt country artists like Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams.

FLinFL

• 1 month later...

Ciao.

I'm one of those cats with the 'eclectic' musical taste and one or two true favorites. However, my musical appetite tends to change with my mood. In college, I listened to mostly classic rock and folks like OAR, Matchbox 20 and Dave Matthews. In 2000, I discovered Ani DiFranco, an indie singer-songwriter from Buffalo, NY whose music pretty much changed my life and everyone in it. I've since been to about ten of her live shows, and own her complete recorded works. I'm also building a collection of bootlegged live performances; do we have any Ani fans among us?

My last girlfriend was passionate about the pianist and singer/songwriter Tori Amos, and over the course of a year I became a fan too. When we broke up, we each ended up with one-half of each other's bootleg recording collection, somehow.

Last summer, my 60GB iPod was stolen while I fell asleep on the beach in France. Since then, I've been using a tiny 512MB iPod shuffle that I got for free in 2005. It's just the thing... my musical attention span is shorter than Berlusconi's cazzo, as they say. I used to be a serious classical musician, and when I'm working, music without lyrics helps me function. Nothing like Helfgott's recordings of 'Rach 3' or Yehudi playing "the" Mendelssohn Violin Concerto.

Does anyone know of the late Compay Segundo, the Cuban son tres player on the Buena Vista Social Club album? I fell in love with Cuban music after a surprise trip to Havana in 2003, right before Compay passed at age 96. If you enjoy Latin music, look up the Buena Vista...a movie by that title was released about eight years ago as well.

My favorites of the moment include the album Night Ripper by Girltalk (ever heard of him?), an astounding, virtuosic album that takes the mash-up of pop, hip-hop, electronica, rock and other sounds...to a new level. To chill down, I enjoy jazz that runs the gamut from Django Reinhardt to Duke, to Satch & Ella, all the way to Jon Hassell; a friend gave me his '99 album Fascinoma when I went back to the States in February, and it has been in permanent rotation in my iPod shuffle ever since. In March, a computer mishap led to the near-deletion of 11,000 songs of my iTunes library...since then, I've been taking music suggestions and mix cds from everyone I know. I have acquired a lot of world music since I arrived on these shores, as well, which will guarantee this traveler's musical attention span will have much to drift through.

Oh, yes. Before I forget, another band I found when visiting Chicago was a 60's-style lounge act called Richard Cheese (he goes by Dick) and Lounge Against the Machine. Yes, it's bizarre as all hell, but I say bloody brilliant. They do lounge-style parodies of rock, pop, and hip hop songs like Snoop Dogg's 'Gin and Juice' and Guns 'n' Roses' 'Welcome to the Jungle'. Rock on, ladies and gentlemen.

J.

PJ Harvey; Cradle of Filth; Marty Robbins; Rob Zombie, Babyshambles, Vanessa Paradis, Sugarbabes, Tchaikovsky

Now that's eclectic.

I notice Tchaikovsky coming up repeatedly.

I know for me there was much in his biography that caught my attention. I've read plenty of speculation that he was homosexual and it may very well have been. I guess where I intensely identified was that whatever his sexuality was it seemed to be something to be repressed. So much suffering and such grand music.

Be that as it may, there are times I wonder if maybe after all he was one of us.

Then of course there's the obvious association since he's among Russia's greatest voices of the classical traditions.

frugal furguy

Tori Amos: today, all of the best artists are underrated. Tori Amos is underrated.

I enjoyed the music on YouTube (new to me), thanks for posting!

What's up with the ending of "Whenever I Say Your Name"? The song deserved better!

ThoughtFox