For the music lovers in the den...

ThoughtFox

I'm going to see Jimmy Webb in concert this weekend. Sooo excited. He's written some awesome songs. This one is probably my favorite ... IMHO one of the greatest songs ever written. I prefur Glen Campbell's classic version, but there is something to be said for seeing a talented songwriter perform his/her own work. I caught Melissa Manchester and Paul Williams on tour together several years ago ... One of my best Sunday afternoons ever.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• ThoughtFox

• Worker 11811

• White Fox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've heard this song on the radio multiple times in the past week ... Felt nostalgic and looked up the 80's music video. Gotta love youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZYqAeIdYk

I went to a Beatles tribute concert this past weekend. It was great ... but I had a little trouble believing they didn't do this classic song.

Let it be, let it be .....

There has never been anything in pop that has come within a million miles of what they achieved. Amazingly, it all happened in the space of around 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylgchWR-Ig

I must admit I was not a Daughtry fan when he was on Idol ... But he has pleasantly surprised me post Idol.

Another great song ...

Now that we're here,

Now that we've come this far,

Just hold on.

There is nothing to fear,

For I am right beside you.

For all my life,

I am yours.

The song is pretty good but I'm sorry to say the PRODUCTION is awful!

The melody is all right. The words are meaningful. I can even get behind the sentiment.

But, I'm sorry to say it. The instrumentation is strictly "cookie cutter." How many songs do you hear with the fuzz-box guitar, the ricketty-ticketty electronic drum track and the distorted chorus effect on the voice? Way too many!

And, to me that distortion on the voice sounds like NOISE to me.

Back in the 1970's when I was a kid, the sound tech would get booed off the stage if he set up a band with vocals that sounded like that. Now it is de rigeur.

People might like it today but, to me it sounds like the sound man couldn't straighten out his gain structure. It's annoying!

Clean up those vocals. The guy is a good singer. Let's listen to his VOICE, not some electronic gizmo.

Get rid of the fake drum track. (Yes, it is fake. It's too even to be human.) Add in a human drummer. Just a snare, a kick and a cymbal.

Get rid of the synth. Play it on a baby grand piano like the one Elton John plays.

Ditch the buzz-saw guitars. Play it on an Ovation acoustic like at the beginning of the song "Roundabout" by Yes.

The song is meaningful in its own right. It doesn't need all those electronic gewgaws to make it good.

Great song ... And cool video ...

It's kind of a special feeling

When you're out on the sea alone

Staring at the full moon, like a lover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BARLfUmyBJA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCGn_bU_kI&feature=related

Ahh ... The 70's ... Long haired furs galore ... And Styx ...

I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea

I've got to be free, free to face the life thats ahead of me

On board, I'm the captain, so climb aboard

We'll search for tomorrow on every shore

And I'll try, oh lord, I'll try to carry on

The best of times are when I'm alone with you

Some rain some shine, we'll make this a world for two

Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime

We'll take the best, forget the rest

And someday we'll find these are the best of times

Excellent!

Music from the "old days" when people actually PLAYED instruments, not simply turn then on and press the START button!

It's kind of a special feeling

When you're out on the sea alone

Staring at the full moon, like a lover

I've done EXACTLY that many times in my life. And........ it is a special and strange feeling indeed. Especially when you look away from the moon and back down again, and don't know which way the boat turned while you were looking up so you don't know if you are headed up stream or down any more. With no tide sheets to tell you which direction the current would be flowing at that particular time. Yes, I've had that happen. Luckily I guessed right and found the correct turn two miles of paddling up stream.

A strange feeling indeed ...

W

• 2 weeks later...

One of the few true professional musicians in the world.

Can't have Rocket Man without Bennie and the Jets!

• 2 weeks later...