No More New fur Sales in Calfornia

minkme

yea i just seen that on the National news, but i have a Q if some one lives in CA can they still buy furs off ebay or a private owner?

just curious, if somebody buys furs let´s say in NYC or Canada and will sell it to California in a month, that is already not a new fur? or is there something which specifically says in the law what is a new fur, how old?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's mainly for new furs. A year or so ago, even department stores wouldn't allow sales of furs online; it would specifically say not shipping to California. Really fucking sucks. Just last month I went to Neiman Marcus near me and saw racks of amazing furs. I'm guess starting this month they're no longer able to sell those. If only their sale was better and I had more money, I'd buy the furs I saw then.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, furs limited said:

A most unfortunate and misguided law. 

That's an understatement it is  preposterous and despicable law, that must be overturned as soon as possible by a fur loving republican majority 

Correct it applies to new furs.  No more new fur sales 1/1/23.  I am assuming that the unsold Neiman Marcus furs got shipped to another State if they did not sell by 12/31/22

On 1/22/2023 at 2:13 AM, Arab princes said:

That's an understatement it is  preposterous and despicable law, that must be overturned as soon as possible by a fur loving republican majority 

I don't think that will happen. We've seen the gop fight tooth and nail for and against things, and they have not done that for the real fur industry.

I think it's because since fake fur is plastic, the oil industry gets money from it. After all, in the USA, and likely many places elsewhere, a lot of politicians see corporate donors as their true base (and this is a bipartisan thing).

Edited by LordTheNightKnight
  • Like 1

I believe in the reform of the system of electing  where by all branches of government and the judiciary are controlled by extremely fur loving  consecutive politicians, no welfare, ridiculous paying someone for doing nothing, the form election should be based on how much one own, the more residencies one owns the more votes  one is entitled to and CEO'S of large corporations entitled to thousands, that's the only way to have the right people in position's of power consistently. I do favor  gun ownership but restricted to owners of properties.

Edited by Arab princes

https://openstates.org/ca/bills/20192020/AB44/

For any of those interested, the official law has been posted for the public to see.

I am a tad confused about the wording here. Does it seem like it’s only for fur manufactures getting products into the state or does this apply to citizens too? Like could a friend purchase a new coat and ship it to a Californian as a gift?
Would you not be able to purchase let’s say, a used coat on eBay or a custom made fetish piece from Etsy?

There seems to be a very large grey area. I’m not quite sure what to do. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving out of California at some point in the future if this gets too bad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, furlover15 said:

https://openstates.org/ca/bills/20192020/AB44/

For any of those interested, the official law has been posted for the public to see.

I am a tad confused about the wording here. Does it seem like it’s only for fur manufactures getting products into the state or does this apply to citizens too? Like could a friend purchase a new coat and ship it to a Californian as a gift?
Would you not be able to purchase let’s say, a used coat on eBay or a custom made fetish piece from Etsy?

There seems to be a very large grey area. I’m not quite sure what to do. My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving out of California at some point in the future if this gets too bad.

That's the relevant sentence imo:

"It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, display for sale, trade, or otherwise distribute for monetary or nonmonetary consideration a fur product in the state."

It's crazy, not even rabbit or a hunted something is allowed. Only cowhides, goat-, deer- and sheepskins.

But, we might start a religious cult of fur. I hereby volunteer as a priest.

8 hours ago, LeComte said:

That's the relevant sentence imo:

"It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, display for sale, trade, or otherwise distribute for monetary or nonmonetary consideration a fur product in the state."

It's crazy, not even rabbit or a hunted something is allowed. Only cowhides, goat-, deer- and sheepskins.

But, we might start a religious cult of fur. I hereby volunteer as a priest.

I’m not sure if it just means that you cannot sell fur within the state, or if it means one cannot buy furs online and get them shipped into California. 
Because, truly, at the end of the day how would they know? eBay furs are technically used fur. 
I remember reading earlier this month that it would be legally to, say, drive to Las Vegas and purchase a brand new coat and bring it back. So what on earth is the difference between that and getting one mailed to you? Especially if it’s already used!

I’m also curious if this applies to custom made Etsy products too like big fetish mitts or fur bikinis.

EDIT: and to answer LordtheNightKnight’s question: no.

You can still thrift furs in California. As long as the coats were manufactured before Jan 1 2023.

Edited by furlover15

9 hours ago, LordTheNightKnight said:

Does this mean even vintage sales are banned? That's not good wording.

No, there is an exception.

2 hours ago, furlover15 said:

I’m not sure if it just means that you cannot sell fur within the state, or if it means one cannot buy furs online and get them shipped into California. 
Because, truly, at the end of the day how would they know? eBay furs are technically used fur. 
I remember reading earlier this month that it would be legally to, say, drive to Las Vegas and purchase a brand new coat and bring it back. So what on earth is the difference between that and getting one mailed to you? Especially if it’s already used!

I’m also curious if this applies to custom made Etsy products too like big fetish mitts or fur bikinis.

I read it that it also applies to Etsy products, as these are manufactured (like from a furrier).

"Distribute" would IMO maybe apply to the shipping company, but not to you, if you buy it in Nevada and drive it back. "Trade" maybe applies to you if you buy a new fur online (outside CA) and get it mailed.

I don't know about the states, but in Europe there are a lot of sellers of new stuff on ebay.

Anyway, the law is nuts given that most purchases nowadays happen online and CA authorities wouldn't check every parcel crossing the border. Enforcement most likely just affects main street shop owners. Is there talk about hardship of these shops? Dying downtowns and stuff?

1 hour ago, LeComte said:

I read it that it also applies to Etsy products, as these are manufactured (like from a furrier).

That would make sense.

"Distribute" would IMO maybe apply to the shipping company, but not to you, if you buy it in Nevada and drive it back. "Trade" maybe applies to you if you buy a new fur online (outside CA) and get it mailed.

When I said buying one in Vegas, I meant buying one from a furrier and driving back with it. According to this new law, that is 100% legal to do. Problem is new fur is very expensive and I think most of us buy second hand furs anyways.

I do wonder if an out of state friend could buy an item and ship it to a Californian. Or worst case scenario, have to actually drive it down to you.

Anyway, the law is nuts given that most purchases nowadays happen online and CA authorities wouldn't check every parcel crossing the border. Enforcement most likely just affects main street shop owners. Is there talk about hardship of these shops? Dying downtowns and stuff?

This is true. I'm genuinely thinking that they cannot possibly stop online fur sales. Seems impossible.

That being said, I do worry about all the jobs lost over this. California just killed a billion dollar industry and I would expect to see a noticeable effect on the economy in the future.

It sucks because my girlfriend and I haven't been able to start our fur collection yet and we plan to stay in California for at least like 5 more years do to work. Makes me feel a little hopeless. She said she thinks we still might find luck in thrifting, but I've never seen ANY beautiful fox coats while thrifting before. : (

I want to maybe find some ask lawyers subreddit and see what they have to answer about all of this. The only reason I hold back on that is this is a quite embarrassing thing to ask.

• Like 1

From what I understand, this applies to new furs, not used furs.  So one can get a new fur sent to a friend, out of state, then the friend ships it into California. 

• Like 2

Hopefully the law isn't as draconian as we fear. I was worried about furs purchased online as the previous comments stated, but I just remembered I was delivered a brand new fur I ordered from Europe 2 weeks ago, in January. Not sure if it got through the cut off date or what, but they had to know it was a fur package coming into California. I got it delivered with no problem.

I do feel bad for the furriers here. It's probably difficult enough selling furs in California, I'm sure it's harder having their business be just fur services like repairs and storage. Of all the societal problems in the world, and this state particularly, this is what they choose to fight.

I'm determined to buy as much furs as I possibly can. If furs aren't allowed, I better stock up to enjoy for decades. I'm guessing this is how gun nuts feel...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gai said:

Hopefully the law isn't as draconian as we fear. I was worried about furs purchased online as the previous comments stated, but I just remembered I was delivered a brand new fur I ordered from Europe 2 weeks ago, in January. Not sure if it got through the cut off date or what, but they had to know it was a fur package coming into California. I got it delivered with no problem.

That's a bit of a relief to hear that your coat managed to make it through with no issues. Makes me think that maybe buying online is a nonissue from the get go. Like, the law says its unlawful to SELL furs in California, but nowhere does it say its unlawful to BUY furs in California. Seems moreso like a crack down on the distributors than the consumers. That being said, I do wonder if this will begin to make sellers weary about selling to Californians in the future. Even if it does, I'm sure the best work around would be to have a friend in another state act as some sort of a middle man. Only thing is, what an embarrassing thing to ask. ^^;

1 hour ago, gai said:

Of all the societal problems in the world, and this state particularly, this is what they choose to fight.

I know right!? And they pull this shit when there's fast food restaurants on every goddamn corner. Like, I just don't get it! Buy a coat made from animals that will last you a lifetime and probably be passed down for generations, vs buy some meat made from an animal that will be shat out your ass and flushed down the toilet in a few days. Ugh!

That being said, please keep us posted if you buy more furs and they come through okay, Gai. I am curious to know.

I really wish I could start my collection now, but I sadly don't have the money nor the space/resources to well maintain them. : (

• Like 2