I stand here tonight for the star spangled banner

Guest touchofsable

OH, and...

Casey Keller made the two best saves I have ever seen in my life in the last few minutes

I beg to differ..

One example:

World Cup, 1970, England vs Brazil. Pele heads a low and hard ball towards the English goal. He raises his hands in celebration. Other Brazilians raise their hands in celebration!

And then, in a split second..

Gordon Banks makes the most spectacular, most impossible save ever (Video doesn't show it too well, but Banks was at the OTHER SIDE OF THE GOAL(!))

Addendum: And there's a list a mile long with saves better than Kellers in the Italy-USA game. Granted, they were good saves, but not spectacular

Edited by Guest

I am allowing this thread for 10 more hours to give folks a chance to congratulate the US and their team. If this gets into an arguement on whether the refs were correct, etc. it is going to the Pub. If it goes too far remember what can happen.

When it is moved you can post about individual plays on either thread. However, until then please keep these posts in the Off Topic Pub Forum thread.

W

Earendil,

Here is some background that may help those of you understand TOS's post. In someways he was doing this for me. So, I ask you to please understand where his heart was.

Probably the reason TOS made this post is because he knows how disillusioned I am as an American right now. That was the reason. He loves football and simply wanted to share a positive with the Americans that usually don't experience that here.

Hope that helps explain.

I am outta here! Have to go see my Dad!

And, by the way: Happy Father's Day guys!!

Linda

Because Earendil the match was a David and Goliath and the Americans played some beautiful football in attack too. According to the new FIFA rules on offside the USA second goal should have stood.

Wrong fellah, standing in front of the Goalkeeper is "Active" & so rightly offside. Mabe you should stick to polo & all things Horsey

As for the rest.....well you know my stance

PS How Pope lasted as long as he did was a miracle, shoulda gone sooner for all his late tackles & from behind mostly...

Okay, I didn't know, ReFur

Come over to Norway, We'll make you a Viking Maiden instead of an American

PS: Lotsa fur here ^^

Because Earendil the match was a David and Goliath and the Americans played some beautiful football in attack too. According to the new FIFA rules on offside the USA second goal should have stood.

Wrong fellah, standing in front of the Goalkeeper is "Active" & so rightly offside.

This is correct.

ummmm...why arent Norway in the world cup?

I am not having a go...neither are Wales.

The Ivory Coast was fab too....but EVERTONE in the Ivory cOast....no...everyone in Africa...know their great effort and the efforts of the other great African teams...now like Ghana and yesteryear like Cameroons and Nigeria.

The feat about this USA performance is that few Americans will recognise it and I want them to share in something they can proudly wave their flag about....and join the rest of the world in the Passion of football and the way it brings the whole world together.

Now lets see what the Aussies can do against Brazil

Just a small correction TOS

The two players that celebrated the Victory of Ghana over the Czech Republic with the Israeli flag (what a great game) did that because they both play in the Israeli football league PANTSIL John plays at the Hapoel Tel Aviv (quarter finalist in the UEFA cup 4 years ago) and PAPPOE Emmanuel a defender of Hapoel Kfar Saba.

About the draw between the US and Italy - it was really a game of devotion from the American side but you can't compare it to the 6:0 of Argentina against Serbia Montenegro.

PokerAce

ummmm...why arent Norway in the world cup?

What does that have to do with anything? lol.

Because our spectacular individual players can't function in a team for some reason.

Norway was ranked #2 on the FIFA list in 93. When was the last time Engand was that high? In fact, ratiowise, Norway has had a higher ranking than England since 93.

Still can't see what this has to do with the discussion though

Please!!!

No play discussions here or such. Keep those in the Pub Forum!

This is for congratulations type messages re US or other teams only!

W

I say Touch old chap, steady on now. Not terribly British to go quite so over the top and all that.

My toast goes to our Australian cousins who despite a loss, gave the world magnificent heroic football this day against Brazil

Thanks Whitefox for letting that stand.

It is nice to see true spirit of the USA and I hope you feel part of the world cup now. They still have a mountain to climb to qualify but anything is possible. They have to beat Ghana to go through, and they beat the Czechs. Get behind your team on Thursday.

And if the Refs are unbiased, be prepared to meet Australia and "revenge for 1776"

(Hey, did I say that?? WEG)