Any science-fiction fans?

Earendil

Does anybody remeber a show called Tripods. I can vaguely remeber being really in to it from the early 80's when i was about 5 or 6.

In my mind i kind of have it being a bit like war of the worlds, but i could be way off.

Have seen that it is out now on DVD and wonder whether it is worth getting. How well has it dated? Was it only good because i was a kid?

Oh and just because something is not original does not mean that it is a retread. I am sure all the new Battlestar Galactica fans would be upset to hear that the show isn't worth its sort beacuase it is not original. Personally i prefer Starbuck played by Dirk Benedict (the greatest moment of course being actually when he was confronted by a cylon in a theme park whilst playing Face in the A-team) but each to his or her own.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Worker 11811

• Earendil

• allfurme

• Chubby

I vaguely remember Tripods as being good too.

My girlf and my bruv love monkey and the other one in similar ilk.

Do I remember Alexandra bastedo in white fox which had a hood which completely surrounded her gorgeous face or is that my imagination?

Also Man from Uncle had some great furbabe baddies; also the odd Batman.

Talking about man from uncle ...remember the girl from uncle was Stephanie powers?. Well I remember a movie called "Deceptions".

It had bad/good twin scenario and Stephanie was the fur wearing smoking bad girl who I think died/disappeared and the good one who had to take her place. A GREAT fur movie. cant really remember the story as I was too busy on the rewind/freeze frame.

Well, if we're going to go into TV shows...

What about that episode of Dragnet where Friday goes undercover to arrest a bunch of fur bandits?! 8)

I just looked it up on Google. It was called "The Fur Job".

When that show first aired, I was barely out of diapers but I remember THAT episode!

Is all that "Blow into the fur..." and "The grutzen is in da' middle..." crap accurate?

Tripods was good, yes. But the BBC cancalled the series half way through so it just stopped; no conclusion, no ending; nuffin! Due to this i thought it was a complete waste of time me watching it.

Sci-Fi is a brilliant genre.

Star Treck (Deep Space 9 and The Next Generation were my personal faves).

Star Wars, the classic ones. Episode 3 was.. okay.

Aliens (1 to 3)

Babylon 5 was good, though I havent seen it in years.

Lost fanboy here too, though... Sci Fi? Hmm, we shall see.

Also there is a few Anime and Manga films I like, and are quite Sci-Fi-esque.

Yes Alien trilogy was excellent.

Sigourney Weaver did a lot of mink wearing in other movies....any web pics out there?

Seem to remember Working Girl and Ghostbusters????

A girl steps out for a "few days" and comes back to find so many fun posts to respond to.

Being as how my brother was more a science fiction fan than anyone I've known and he spent the majority of his life trying to "convert" me over, I am not the biggest fan of science fiction media for the most part.

I do, however, like OFF's "SF-esque" writing, I used to spend hours reading my brothers old collection of anthropomorphic animal styled comic books (some of which were sort of SF) and I have more than a few friends who found "V" to be the highlight of their school age lives, and/or who can quote Red Dwarf AND speak Klingon.

*laughs*

If I had to pick some SF movies I liked, I did like Metropolis and as a kid I really liked the Star Trek movies. *dodges whatever people choose to throw at her for that*

I'm more of a Fantasy peruser than a Science Fiction fan.

Any Gerry Andersons shows especialy UFO & Space :1999. Most Star Trek & time tunnel and land of the giants and most any good sci fi film.

Did you check the UFO website earlier I posted to read the script about Wanda ventham in fur?

Yeah Time Tunnel was great!!!!!!

Anyone remeber Phoenix 5?

I hear that Klingon has more words in it than Welsh by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Doctor Ho Hum. What a dissapointment Who?

Compare:

The Illustrated Man with Rod Steiger and by Ray Bradbury.

Even in black and white it's a real story. Life altering for me.

A good read as well.

OFF

• 4 months later...

If i had known this thread existed i would have registered a LOT sooner....

Furelli,

Thanks for that, not for saying Star Trek is better than Blakes Seven 'cause it ain't!!!

No rather for reminding me about Servalan's Furs

Has anybody got any decent pictures of her wearing them?

I am going to post this in the Fur Den

This site is very useful for vidcaps from U.F.O., B7, The Man From UNCLE & The Professionals (I know, i know, only the first two are sci-fi. UNCLE is in the 'spy-fi' sub-genre along with Alias and the Bond films which deserves a whole seperate thread And The Profs. (sic) is a straight action/adventure show, but at least they all feature Fur )

http://www.framecaplib.com/index.htm

LOL... since this post started, and i looked for pics of Servalan (B7) and came across the fan pages, have had the theme for that show constantly coming forward in my brain... and it is driving me BONKERS!!!

Anyways... the statement by ToS about WOTW remake is quite true. It was bumkem. (not liking the star doesn't help either.. even if he was married to "our Nic".

And whilst on movies, does anyone remember that oldie "Day of the Triffids"?

And I also recall reeading some time ago an extract from a short story by a famous author who's name escapes me at the moment (2001: A Space Odyssey) set in london where the ships are sailing and he is left behind and all he has for protection is a bunch of fur coats. Any ideas as to what the name of that story is?

allfurme, Mr. Barguzin and anyone else, here are links to see Servalan in her Furs...

http://www.framecaplib.com/b7lib/html/episodes/indices/hostage/thumb05.htm

(I'm not linking direct to the images as the Webmaster doesn't want any examples of "bandwidth theft".) You can see the first two as nos. 113 & 115, the former is a good one close-up but the latter is not as good as it's more blurry on the "Queen Fur Bitch of the Galaxy" focusing more on her Mutoid pilot. (Now you could NEVER even call Joan Collins that in any of her roles )

These last three caps from the 'Hostage' episode are better than that one and can be found at the bottom of

http://www.framecaplib.com/b7lib/html/episodes/indices/hostage/thumb10.htm

There is one other episode from that same series of B7 that features Jacqueline Pearce in that very lovely coat and it's called 'The Keeper' but it has yet to be captured.

Still, some years ago there was a 'Making of Blake's 7" book released, probably out of print- try eBay, that had a quote a from the Costume Designer about the coat, although i can't remember it and a near-full-length photo of JP as "QFBotG" which i cut out and saved in a Scrapbook. Of course, that meant i was able to scan & upload it...

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/297/servalanob1.jpg

Mr. B, "The Day of the Triffids" film starring Howard 'Oklahoma, Dallas' Keel was OK for the time it was made, 1962, but it doesn't stand up to the BBC adaptation, which was more faithful to the book, made in 1981 and recently released on DVD.

I think that story by Arthur C. Clarke (for it is he) may well be this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forgotten_Enemy.

Does it sound familiar

More to come tomorrow as i have to be at work by 10PM.

U.F.O. still today seems so real and perfect.

maybe its because they didnt cgi special effects.

Same with Space 1999 too. I love seeing an eagle crash!

Hi Simon and welcome. Thanks for the great Servelan pics; awesome coat.

Can you believe we have people wo have joined because of the quality of our threads on sci fi and the World Cup? Great huh? Shows we are a real community unlike many forums.

But one that does hold up to the test of time; its dark, sinister, glossy, ocassional fur, glamour beyond belief, violence; dark psychological issues;

mutilation etc etc was the excellent and banned for ages Gerry Anderson

production from the early seventies (yanked recently from a re show on sky...presumably for sex and violence complaints) UFO with ed Straker. Remember all those purple hair chicks on moonbase? I think the fur was provided by the 'more' smoking Wanda Ventham. And still the sound of those UFOs sends shudders down my spine.

STOP PRESS!!!!

I did a search on the site www.ufoseries.com and came up with the episode script "Timelash" which is all about Wanda Ventham pulling open her fur coat!!!

Sadly no pics!!!!Anyone got it on dvd so they can post it? I remember her vaguely in a variety of furs; maybe even lynx but thats a dim recollection but I was very young and impressionable so they may not amount to much. I remember having a good old pull cos my aunt had a puple rinse so she looked like a moonbase chick except she was ALWAYS in fur. If anyone feels the inclination to do a fur search on the following (gosh the names still I can remember!) Georgina Moon,

Anouska Nempel, Gabrielle drake, Antonia Ellis, Dolorez Montez, and Alyshea Bough feel free. I w*****d half my eleven year old life away on them and I can definitely remeber Anouska in fur but she's gone all zen buddhist now since shes Lady Weinberg and an interior/fashion designer and stuff so there isnt much there I wouldnt think.

I have been a life-long fan of UFO, it provided my very first memory of watching television back in 1973-4, specifically the epis. "The Computer Affair" (SHADO guards stalking two Aliens in a 'Canadian' forest and then engaging in a gunfight with them) & "Ordeal" (Col. Paul Foster being abducted by the Aliens from a health farm, equipped with one of the latters spacesuits and watching his helmet getting filled up with the green 'bioaquaphilic' liquid they used to breathe during long-distance spaceflights,) and i hold it responsible for making me become a science-fiction fan i am today.

Sorry to disappoint you tos, but i can't recall seeing much fur in the series, if any at all, and i 've pretty much seen all the episodes a few times & have got it all on DVD. As for "Timelash" if you check the pages for Wanda Ventham's character of Col. Lake in that episode (i.e. at http://www.framecaplib.com/ufolib/html/chars/indices/timelash/group/text01/c0000800.htm & http://www.framecaplib.com/ufolib/html/chars/indices/timelash/alone/text01/c0000800.htm) at Lisa's Video Frame Capture Library and cross-reference them with the "Timelash" script where it mentions her fur coat, you'll see she was wearing her normal purple shirt, scarf & trousers. In fact i think the episode was filmed in the middle of summer that year.

The only amount of fur i can recall is the collar Adrienne Corri wore at the end of "The Square Triangle"

http://www.framecaplib.com/ufolib/html/episodes/images/triangle/trian102.htm.

Oh, and the programme itself never got banned, but the last episode "The Long Sleep" only ever got shown in late-night slots in the seventies because of the on-screen use of LSD and some ITV regions wouldn't screen it for 2-3 years after they started showing it which is a long time for a 26 episode series. By the way, "The Long Sleep" finally got a Network Premiere on BBC2 on 28th August, 1999 it was at the ungodly hour of 12:20PM

I know all this partly because i'm a very clever person (& it's a very small part), but mostly because i have a copy of "The Complete Book of Gerry Anderson's UFO" written by Chris Bentley. PM me and i'll give you the rest of the book's details.

Watched the Thunderbirds episode "The Perils of Penelope" today, which had Lady P. wearing her mink stole i think and if i had to name two episodes of Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons with fur in, they would be "Big Ben Strikes Again" where Captains Scarlet & Blue take two of the Angels out to dinner at the end of the epi and they're both wearing furs/feathers. (The Angels that is, NOT Scarlet & Blue Arf )

The second episode is "Model Spy" where for some reason the Mysterons wanted to assassinate a fashion designer, Andre Verdain, so they had their dogsbody on Earth, Captain Black, kill one of his models so they could retro-metabolise her, turning her into a Mysteron Agent and use her to off Verdain. I know that "Model Spy" had a fashion show in it, but i can't remember any specific furs in it.

Coming up later: My Complete List of Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror TV shows, Films & Sub-Genres I Am A Fan Of. This will show how much i can out-nerd you lot

"Nuzzink in ze vorld can stop me now " (cue manic laughter)

As i promised, no threatened earlier:-

My Utterly, Definitely & Complete List of Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror TV shows, Films & Sub-Genres I Am A Fan Of

PART 1

• Star Trek: All six series & the first eight movies (I'm indifferent toward Insurrection & i'm in no rush to see Nemesis) plus some of the novels. My fav character overall is Voyager's EMH. Fur-wise; i'd like to put Clr. Deanna Troi, Dr. Beverley Crusher, Vash, Lt. Jadzia Dax, Kira Nerys' Mirror Universe counterpart, Capt. Kathryn Janeway & Seven of Nine all into the same Holo-Deck re-creation of a Furrier Superstore, sit back and watch the results...

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy ONLY & Trade Paperback Collections. Nuff' Said.

Aliens: The Films (Fav one is #II, i love the Dropships) & the TPB's.

Gerry Anderson Series: Favs. in descending order- UFO, CG Captain Scarlet, Space: 1999 (the Eagle Transporters are so cool being versatile & multi-functional), Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons, Thunderbirds, Terrahawks.

Babylon 5: Cmndr. Susan Ivanova (played by Claudia Christian) is another character that deserves to be idolised in fur.

X-Files: I thought Robert Patrick added a lot of class to the last two seasons.

Godzilla: ("Up From the Depths/ Thirty Stories High/ Breathing Fire/ He Stands in the Sky!!/ GODZILLA!!/ GODZILLA!!/ GODZILLA!!/ and..." i can't bring myself to recall the rest, it's too traumatic.) The Toho Films; the Hanna-Barbera cartoon which featured the above lyrics; the Devlin-Emmerich film & it's own spin-off cartoon plus the two TPB collections i have in my library.

To be Continued...

Babylon 5 one of my all time favorites. Delenn [Mira Furlan] in fur after she quit being a bone head. Of course Melissa Gilbert who actually wears fur.

From the same time period .. Earth 2. Super sweater girl Debrah Farentino, I much want to see wallowing in furs. Her "buddy" in sweaters, Rebecca Gayheart actually wears fursJessica Steen wouldn't be shabby in furs either. Iwas unfortunately cut short. I thought it was one of the finest Sci-Fi series ever.

X-Files Always wanted to see Scully in furs real bad. Annabeth Gish I thought was a super addition and another of my fur fantasy women.

Star Trek I've already posted some pictures in the Gallery with 7of9 in Mink to be specific. Sometimes use them as Avatar's. Brown Mink and a Blue Dyed Mink. I'm looking for the pictures of TPol [Jolene Blalock] in fur. I'll post them. They are great.

Lesley Crusher [Gates McFadden] wel what can I say .. she's a gorgeous red head. Seeing her in fur would be fantasies come true. Deanna Troi [Marina Brits] wouldn't be bad in furs either.

Now if only the young and very beautiful Mariette Hartley had been in real furs in the original Star Trek marooned on that frozen planet with Spock

OFF

Hi Somon. I definitely remeber Wanda Ventham in a lynx/fox fur in UFO and there used to be pic of her in it on the net but they are gone.

The series was banned by my region because I wrote to complain and they wrote back about complaints. One specific mentioned incident was the mutilation of a cow, the general implied body part use by the aliens and also the drugs. I belive some sex scenes had already been cut.

It is possible that many scenes have been cut because of fur wearing. There were some right fascists in tv in the eighties and nineties.

I was told by someone at Pebble mill that they wouldn't repeat Dead head with Lyndsey Duncan because one of the head honchos said it was utterly politically incorrect because of all the fur and smoking.

They bugger about with movies too until they are unrecogniseable as the movies you remeber seeing. Soldier Blue and Mash are classic examples of movies been utterly wrecked by tv edits over the years until they get to the point they do not even make sense.

Apparently a US tv station producer asked editors to cut all scenes with smoking and fur and showing minority subservience in the Maltese falcon. There was only 25 minutes of the film left!

I also heard that Joanna Lumley's fur wearing was cut from the New Avengers (someone said that that was at her request though I do not know if that is true) so it is possible that happened to UFO too, because I remember Wanda in fur vividly.

If you look at the radio times at the film guide they take pride in telling us that movies have been edited.

Some series even remain on the banned list such as "love thy neighbour",

for racism. yet the BBC still have never shown the Kirk /Uhura snog I don't think.

However Simon your knowledge has added a fascinating dimension to this thread. Gotta look out for the Captain Scarlett episodes. I remember vaguely one episode with two sexy models killed in a plane crash and taken over by mysterons...was that one of the ones you were talking about?

My fave aliens of all time have to be the Borg. A superb metaphor for bureaucrats and call centre employees, multi nationals, etc.

"Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated"

In regards to the X-Files, I stopped watching when the new guy took over Mulders spot. To me, it just wasn't the same without Scully & Mulder.

Hi Somon. I definitely remeber Wanda Ventham in a lynx/fox fur in UFO and there used to be pic of her in it on the net but they are gone.

I also heard that Joanna Lumley's fur wearing was cut from the New Avengers (someone said that that was at her request though I do not know if that is true) so it is possible that happened to UFO too, because I remember Wanda in fur vividly.

However Simon your knowledge has added a fascinating dimension to this thread. Gotta look out for the Captain Scarlett episodes. I remember vaguely one episode with two sexy models killed in a plane crash and taken over by mysterons...was that one of the ones you were talking about?

Wanda Ventham appeared in the UFO episodes, "Identified", "The Cat With Ten Lives", "Destruction", "The Man Who Came Back", "The Psychobombs", "Reflections in the Water", "Timelash" of course, "Mindbender" & "The Long Sleep". I've just fast-scanned through them all and i couldn't see anything of Wanda in fur, but of course it's possible that she may have been wearing it off-screen at the time.

I know of one instance where famous actresses were fur-clad when working, but didn't wear any on-screen. The time: 1985, the Location: Pinewood Studios (where coincidentally UFO had been filmed 14-15 years earlier). The Event: a Press/PR junket to mark the re-opening of the 007 Stage for the production of A View to a Kill after it had burnt down during the filming of Legend. The Ladies: Fiona Fullerton wore a Black Mink Coat (i later read she had been given it as a gift by a Furrier) and Tanya Roberts wore a Silver Fox Fur. I found a photo of them with Alison Doody & Roger Moore in a book, i forget the title, but it was about the production of the Bond films. I've uploaded the pic to http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4383/fionafullertontanyarobertsxt9.jpg

Before she defected Joanna wore Furs in the epis. "The Eagle's Nest" & "Faces" and they scenes were intact on the VHS copies of the stories. I haven't seen neither the programme broadcast in recent years nor the DVD's, so i'm not able to comment on any deleted scenes.

There could well have been a plane crash in the "Model Spy" episode of C.S.&t.M.

BTW, i've also uploaded two pics of Alexandra Bastedo in that fur from The Champions pilot to ImageShack at http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5197/alexandrabastedo1rp1.jpg] & http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4097/alexandrabastedo2ml0.jpg

Incidentally, i just remembered i bought that last pic through a Mail Order catalogue from S. & P.'s Movie Market (http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/index.html) along with similar photos of Raquel Welch, Susan Lucci, Heather Thomas, Jaclyn Smith, Marilyn Munroe, Sharon Stone, Morgan Fairchild, Stephanie Beachem, Joan Collins & Susan Howard. So if they're still available to purchase, i might not have to upload them.

wow you must do a phd on this! Seriously.

however everyone here will tell you I am just as hot on chicks who smoke. Wanda smoked more cigarettes througout the series; and believ me I never forget a lady smoking in fur. She id in the series...it may have been cut...as have may of the smoking scenes for example in Starsky and Hutch recently. There was even a McCloud episode recently which I remember ...Joanna pettet smokes ..again more...throughout in a fur. Every bit with her smoking...including most of the fur scenes...had been cut. The episode made no sense.

Fascists alway destroy Art when it doesn't suit them. This may have happened in UFO.