Guys - wearing your furs

WinnipegFur

Dr Scotty,

Welcome. Although I do not have my own fur, if I did, I would be shy as well. Not to worry, if you Mom and Dad wears fur, maybe you all can go out to dinner together wearing your minks. I am sure you'll get used to it, especailly if it is cold out? Do you live in a Country that is really cold at times?

Yes, but it is a rare occurrence as I try not to hang out excessively with my parents. They can be domineering, especially my Dad, and it is a strain on my relationship among other things. I can't help being under my Dad's thumb as I work under him. So it's full of contradictions.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Fox

• ReFur

• minkme

• mr.beaverlamb

Pretty much every member here would wish that their parents had been the type to encourage them to wear fur!

Just what I was thinking! What fantastic parents you have, dr_scotty.

Amen to that! My mother was so controlling and dominant in my upbringing that there was no way I could reveal my interest in furs. That just might indicate some tendency toward femininity which absolutely terrified her. There was absolutely no reason for her to feel that way --- but she did make me nuts with her insecurities. Forget my ever wearing a fur coat -- good GOD !!!

Edited by Guest

Dr Scottie:

WELCOME to the den! Your story is a dream for many of us. My dad was just the opposite of yours. He WAS very fashionable, but he thought wearing fur was a strict domain for women. I'll never forget when he saw a picture of "Broadway" Joe Namath in the sports section being fitted for his full-length mink. His response was "F#%$^&* f&gg$t". I looked at the picture and just thought "I WANT ONE!" I think I rescued the sports section from the trash, cut out the picture and saved it for viewing and dreaming.

It is good you wear your mink into work occasionally. Perhaps that will lead to more "mink outings".

Welcome again!

JA

Welcome to the Den Dr Scotty! By the way, a few months ago, there was a discussion in the den about the web site of a certain "Dr. Scotty" who showed off his mink coat. Apparently, he was a plastic surgeon and led an opulent lifestyle. I wonder if you are that Dr. Scotty?

• 2 months later...

Love Phantom Beaver.

Have some that will make its way into something?

My computer ''Pad" I rest my arms on is Phantom Beaver from an ancient one from my college days.

Posting it in Et Cetera.

OFF

Dr Scottie:

WELCOME to the den! Your story is a dream for many of us. My dad was just the opposite of yours. He WAS very fashionable, but he thought wearing fur was a strict domain for women. I'll never forget when he saw a picture of "Broadway" Joe Namath in the sports section being fitted for his full-length mink. His response was "F#%$^&* f&gg$t". I looked at the picture and just thought "I WANT ONE!" I think I rescued the sports section from the trash, cut out the picture and saved it for viewing and dreaming.

It is good you wear your mink into work occasionally. Perhaps that will lead to more "mink outings".

Welcome again!

JA

Not to put your father down but he didn't know what he was talking about. Men DO wear fur. It is FASHIONABLE for men to wear fur and there is LOTS of documentation to that effect.

EXHIBIT A:

From the website: http://skiforcancer.net/Psi/History_1917.htm

Quote from the site:

Robert Koehring, David Flambeau, Edward Ziese, Robert B. Sullivan, and Genaro Florez were at the height of college fashion in their raccoon coats in front of the Theta Chi House, 1928-29. In 1928, George Olsen and his band recorded the lyrics to a peppy dance tune called "Doin' the Raccoon," that described how "rough guys, tough guys, men of dignity / Join the raccoon coat fraternity."

Exhibit B:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDmbtj-9RJw

"Do the Raccoon" was a very popular song in the 1920's and 1930's. It was sung by many famous performers.

Note the images in those YouTube videos. The contain LOTS of pictures of men wearing fur coats.

If I'm not mistaken, raccoon coats were an iconic fashion item at all the major colleges and universities in the U.S. right on up until the 1950's.

Your father had the right to his opinion that fur coats are mainly for women but his belief that men should never wear fur was way out in left field.

Lovely coat, but a little out of my price range! I'd have expected better pictures.

BTW, I'm always bemused/amused by the way some US sellers quote the previous wearer's height and weight (the latter in pounds - us Brits have to convert that to stones!) as an indication of size, rather than provide measurements of the garment!

I guess being a furrier we have to take his word for it. But, has anyone ever seen a lamb coat with the shading into lighter streaks like that. That is generally a dead giveaway that it is real beaver.

That would sure be my guess anyhow. I wonder if he thinks that anti fur folks will buy lamb because they think it is old and used but would not buy real sheared beaver.

And since the listing refers to the furrier in question with past tense, me thinks he has passed away, which leads me to the conclusion that the fur in question is probably 20 or more years old...

• 2 months later...

Exhibit B:

And here comes Exhibit C, from the wonderful tv-show "Jeeves & Wooster" with Hugh Laurie and the lovely Stephen Fry:

The fur part starts at 1:15.