Guys - wearing your furs

WinnipegFur

I've been wearing furs since 1996. My first, which I still have, is a coyote parka with hood. I've cared for it well, and it is still my "practical" fur, the one I wear to work and out most often. It has held up well due to the care I've taken to keep it that way.

My first wife was a politically correct fur hater whom PETA would have welcomed. She did not like the coyote parka at all. I still wore it though, and found out that it was a magnet for feminine comment and flirtation in Colorado where I lived at the time.

I've since divorced from Ms. P.C. PETA. Like Jerome, I now live with someone who has several furs of her own, though her favorite is a full length cashmere coat with brown fox collar, cuffs, and trim.

Since marrying my current wife, I've greatly expanded my fur collection. I began on ebay where I quickly learned that most furs for sale were for woman and that I had to examine the measurements carefully to be sure of a good fit. I went to the local furrier who cleans and stores my first fur, and she was kind enough to take measurements and offered advice on purchasing woman's and unisex coats. I still have three of these that fit very well, all fox and purchased on ebay. One is the robe I wear in the house. I didn't reverse the clasps on any of these.

I also have two furs purchased on ebay that are bad fits, especially around the chest. So all my recent purchases including my five best furs are custom made with masculine notch collars except for a silver fox parka which has a high wind-proof neck. One of these I bought from Mailon, a sponsor of this site, and I highly recommend them to anyone. Oliver Furs Canada has been my other custom designer. These all are double breasted and have buttons except for the parka which has a heavy-duty zipper.

I don't find these furs to have a "gangsta" look, but rather more like a furry version of the overcoat I had as an Army officer. Seldom do I get negative comments, and not once this year. I wear my parka around the campus where I work where appreciative looks and comments are common.

I am indeed fortunate to have a life with a woman of like mind about furs, and we often go out wearing furs together. Yesterday, while we were at the local grocery, a woman stopped us and said "I'm so glad to see people out wearing fur. I'm originally from Montreal, and I miss seeing the furs."

My advice on purchasing furs: pay the extra to purchase custom furs to your measurements and specifications from a reliable furrier such as Mailon. If this furrier is not local, find one in the neighborhood who can offer advice as well as store and clean your furs. Finally, have a furrier take your measurements, as tailoring a fur is different from tailoring a suit.

That's my 2 cents' worth.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Fox

• ReFur

• minkme

• mr.beaverlamb

Some great comments here, and I really enjoyed your post, Jerome. You are exactly describing my fur-wearing experience! I too have several phantom beaver coats.

Most - I’d say about 85% - of my fur coats are women’s. As others have said, for me it’s all about the fit (particularly shoulders, chest and arms) and whether YOU, the wearer, are happy with the style, never mind what anyone else thinks. Most of my women’s coats are vintage and have a plain, unfussy styling that could arguably be described as less ‘feminine’ than some men’s coats. Shawl collars tend to prevail on women’s coats and notched on men’s, but there are exceptions. I’m certainly not bothered about swapping the fastenings over - couldn’t give a toss. I have several non-fur women’s coats in velvet (e.g. Boden) and the fastenings are more obvious / less hidden than they are on a fur coat, and I haven’t bothered swapping the fastenings and wouldn’t even countenance it. It’s about how comfortable you feel wearing it.

Great to read that Beaverlamb is so close to my thinkings and likings. His knickname is indeed pointing in that direction. I would love to have my own collection of phantom beaver coats as well. Today I am restricted to just one. My wife has her own nice phantom beaver stroller, but it is too small and too femine for me to wear. The good news is that she has agreed with the principle that I could buy myself another one, provided that it wouldn't look to feminine. I am currently looking for a trench coat model. Not sure it will be easy to find.

Beaverlamb, are you wearing your phantom beaver coats outside as well ? Tell-us about it.

Jerome

Mmm, rather nice. Like the idea of the mink collar, but it (the collar) is far too small, particularly for the length of the coat - it's out of proportion. My golden rule is that a fur coat should have a substantial and luxurious collar, otherwise the coat is pointless.

At this price, I'd expect more - and more detailed - pictures on the listing.

I like the coat. I don't like the collar (fully agree with Mr Beaverlamb). I don't like the price. Conclusion: this is not the coat I am looking for.

Jerome

• 3 weeks later...

I've always had my furs altered so that they appeared to be men's garments. My latest, a full-length men's ranch mink with the horrible epaulets and buttons, etc., I had the eps and buttons removed, beefed up the shoulders and, presto, a stunning man's mink coat. I personally wouldn't do it any other way.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so tempted to rip off my wife's black fox jacket for my own self..

I'd take out the shoulder pads, and after that, it wouldn't be so bad. The sleeves would be a little short.. but OMG, how soft and plush..

It's a great coat that needs more use, dammit!

• 4 months later...

Mailon had the most wonderful red fox f/l coat for sale.Really gorgeous.I own mostly foxes in womens style,full and thick.Never had the courage to wear them outside.I do like to wear my furs in my back garden on very cold days to read on my patio late at night.Most satisfying!!!!!!!!!

Hey, F/C. Take a trip somewhere a hundred miles away for a few days. Three at least. When it is very cold. ONLY bring a fur coat(s). Leave all others at home.

When you get there you will need to wear fur as it is the only coat you have. Wear it to museums. Wear it to gift shops. Wear it to theaters. Wear it to nice restaurants. You will NEVER look back. I absolutely promise that you will LOVE it! And since you are a long way from home you will feel free to do it since no one you know will be there. And since it is the only coat you have you will force yourself NOT to change your mind. You will HAVE to wear it.

W

Hi all... I'm new poster at the Fur Den, but a fairly frequent poster on FFG. It took me way too much time to join up here as well as I can see that plenty of the discussions here are very interesting with plenty of good and serious contributors. This topic especially is one that interests me greatly and one I've given quite a bit of thought. Personally I prefer the more feminine coats. I generally think they look better and appeal to my general taste in women. I prefer feminine girls with a strong fashion sense. I also love wearing these coats, but not in public (unless certain requirements are met) but prefer to see them worn by women. Please don't take this as an attack on people with different opinions than me, but I think that fur is predominantly a female item of clothing and thus love all small feminine touches on fur coats, like big shoulders, slightly drawn in waists, etc. I think these touches and elements of a coat are more telling than the eventual "bad fit" caused by anatomical differences. So, moving the buttons to the other side won't do much good as this is probably the least telling sign of a feminine coat. I think we all have fashion sense enough to instinctively see or feel if a coat is feminine or not. I think this instinct is more important than eventual details on the coat.

I would also like to follow up with another question based on my own silly observations of society. Won't a man in a fur coat or jacket look more "out of the ordinary" than a woman in a fur no matter how masculine his fur might be, and if you agree on this, does it then really matter whether the coat he's wearing is a little bit feminine or not? Obviously some coats are just too feminine too be ignored, but you get my point.

First off holmf

Welcome to the Den. I think you will find that we are a little more like a "Home away from Home" here than some other of the more commercial places are. The Fourure Club (French) is somewhat the same. You will see a thread by them going on right now in this same forum. We truly hope that you will love our little place here. That you will enjoy yourself here immensely.

Now then as to women's coats and men wearing them. My opinion from wearing furs for quite awhile is that it does not really matter if a coat is made for a man or a woman. A furrier told me once that often times a coat will begin as a large women's coat. When it doesn't sell they will change it to a man's coat. And sometimes even change it back again. I think that the different "Cut" of a coat has changed somewhat in the last 20 years or so. I think that a woman's coat used to be more of a different fit than a man's back then than it is today. Yes, there are differences. Refur, one of our gals, often talks of how the sleeves on a woman's coat are actually shorter. (Good excuse for a cuff maybe?) And there are others.

But what I have found is important is if a coat looks good on you. I for instance cannot wear most jackets. I put them on and they look excruciatingly bad on me! Not all. But many. But most full length coats look good. Even ones that men would never ever think of wearing I could often purchase and walk out of the store and look good in them for some reason. I think that when it comes to men wearing fur that the key is ABOVE ALL that they look good in that coat they are wearing. Do you look good in it? Do you feel good in it? Does it fit reasonably well? If both those answers are yes, then you can go out and wear it and people just look at it longingly thinging "God I wish I had a coat like that to wear!"

We all here I think love to see furs warn by women. It would be interesting to actually find out if there is one person here who does not like to look at those gals walking down the street or in a store in fur. But not all of us like wearing fur. Some do. Some don't.

As for looking out of the ordinary, probably. Very often when a guy wears fur he will see people looking at him. But seldom is it a negative look when you really begin to understand things. It is generally a look of admiration. A look of "Gee I wish I was wearing your coat right now!"

Will be interesting to see what others say here. I often talk too much.

I agree with White Fox that the most important thing is if it looks good on you - wear it!

Some of the designs for men I find look artificial and exaggerated, as if the designers who makes these really feel that they have to make a special design since it is a men's coat, just to make sure for everybody that this is not a womens coat.

But I find the design of women's coats is the best design for all fur coats! Perhaps some smaller changes to collar and shoulders, but otherwise I feel that you shouldnt mess to much with the design. A fur is a fur and should look like a fur.

And as for people looking at you, I think that many people take an extra look because they are a bit curious about fur and in particular furs on men. But most of all I think they look because of the self-confident look it gets you when you wear fur, and thats something most people are drawn to. This is not the case for fur only, but most of the things which are a tiny, tiny little bit outside the small, narrow box which we label "normal". If you do something outside of it with confidence, then many people will admire and respect you for that (and wish that they had the guts to do the same!)

PS. And all of this ranting from a guy who himself doesn't have the guts to wear his furs outside! (but slowly getting there)

WELCOME holmf We hope you enjoy your time here.

I too agree that the most important thing is that a fur looks good on you - to others as well as yourself. In my case, I have owned an arctic style coyote parka for several years. What initially surprised me is that many women will comment on liking the look. I am not sure if it is the concept of a long haired fur on a man, the style of the garment, or just a man in fur that causes some women to comment, but either way it does give a boost to the ego and one's confidence to wear fur in public.

Well, I'll share my story.

I actually grew up surrounded by fur. Both my Dad and my Mom owned and wore many furs. In fact, they also both had, and often wore, full-length ranch minks. As a kid, I remember being fascinated by fur starting at age 15, when I remember my Mom slipping her (I think sable) full-length coat on me and me feeling shy but secretly loving it! I think my Dad liked his furs more than my Mom. My Dad was always very elegant and always dressed very well...he very often wore fur coats during months with an "r" in them. He had several furs, a full-length ranch mink, a full-length mahogany mink--a very roomy and large coat indeed especially when a 16-year old tries it on -- a large full-length sable fur coat, some sort of caramel-colored fur coat (maybe mink), many many matching hats for everything and many jackets that I don't remember. I remember them all looking beautiful and shiny.

I was always dressed well, we have the family photos and videos to prove it. We have a photo of me being taken for a walk on a cold November day when I was less than a year old, in a stroller....I had on a mahogany mink jacket! As I grew up my Dad encouraged me to dress well, and he was my great influence in style and fashion--and remains my greatest fan in matters of style. He still always comments on my attire....and whenever he sees me, move away and has a good luck up and down, smiling....and then always still straightens my tie, flairs my pocket handkerchief with his fingertips, and adjusts or does something to adjust my suit jacket lapels, always commenting on the style and the fabric The always familiar arm around me or pat on the back results in comments about fabric quality too, followed by an extended examination of the same!

I am only in my early 30s and I am hetero too, so I am shy of admitting to my passion for full-length, let alone wearing full-length out and about. I stick to reversible leather-mink, leather-sable, etc for everyday. Fortunately I work at the same place as my Dad, and my office is right beside his....so I have every encouragement to dress well at work....I have to, to befit my position and status as his successor there, as well as for fashion's sake.

I've had a full-length Blackglama for a few years now....It's a huge coat with a large sweep, given I am a tall and well-built man...but it's a female pelt coat, so very lightweight. I got it custom-made at a furrier my parents recommended. I remember even being shy at the furriers...Go figure! I remember going with Dad, who supervised the whole thing, including my fittings. You can imagine....He was there supervising the furrier, in command and in his element, sitting one leg bent over the other, arms fully outstretched over the back of the large leather couch at the furrier's, head leaned back and relaxed...a delighted grin on his face...I remember it like yesterday....an unlit cigar in his pointing hand, ordering me me to turn around, stretch my arms out, etc etc, interspersed with winks and muffled giggles, giving the furrier exact orders on what to do. The finished coat was delivered to my home and although I tried it on and loved it, I didn't dare wear it for several days...again, shy! Go figure! Until, I vividly remember, Dad barged in one day more excited than me! I opened the door and there he was, uninvited, hands on waist, pursed smile, walking in. He was wearing a long full-length ranch mink coat himself, and didn't bother to take off his own coat. "You have your new fur coat yet, boy?" ....He was more eager than me. Clap on back. "Show me." Wink. Clap on back leading to a push toward my closet. He grabbed my coat out from my closet. Delighted grin. "Look at that!" He examined the quality of the mink fur with his signature stroking--gently rubbing his palm all over the back of the coat--his way to assessing any fabric, and shook it gently to allow the light to play and dazzle on the fur. "You just going to keep a beautiful coat like that in the closet?" Big smile. Wink. "Put it on. Show me how it fits." Wink. Brought it to me, slipped it on me, gently adjusts it on to ensure it was properly on. "There you go...That a boy! THAT_A_BOY! (almost growling in delight)"... then hiding his chuckling with his hand and trying to keep a straight face...then almost violently turning me around holding me by the shoulders, pushing me away to get a better view...clapping me on the back repeatedly and ecstatically, eyes positively lit up in sheer delight: "You look like a prince, boy...Very nice. It's nice and warm, yes?" Wink. Always ending with the mandatory "Come here! (wink)" and tie straightening and lapel examination...He put his arm around me, and looked at the pair of us in the wall mirror, claps on my back leading to a gentle rub on my mink-coated back, "That a boy."...Then calm and in command, smiling restrainedly...ostensibly not excited. Taking his glasses off, smug smile of self-satisfaction. "Excellent."...leaves the room eyes cast download cleaning his glasses...glances up at the door, smug smile, Wink. Me standing there shy and awkward. Turns around, "Come. Let me take you out to dinner."

But other than the occasional (and highly ceremonious and fanfared) pulling out of the Blackglama to wear to work...to receive winks and compliments, including being told to stand at the corner of his office so he can admire it in full view! ... I have only worn it out a handful of times! So when it comes to fur I have all the encouragement, but not the guts! sigh.

Edited by Guest

It was the encouragement here that got me actually wearing fur though still fur lined (see Gallery).

Some are quite opulent and not too 'hidden'. Like my Fox lined Levi Jacket and Lynx lined, hooded Timberland Jacket.

I'm wearing them more with increasing favourable praise.

With improving fortunes I'll be getting a long haired Beaver or Fisher coat (fur out) and wearing it in public which means at my professional best. As an Architect I can get by with eccentric and I've used that to my advantage.

My "other" fur life is with a closet full of women's furs. Mostly various Foxes and Lynx. They will eventually become at home Kimono's. I have an ancient Sable one too fragile to wear as a model. It's reversible of course.

Then there are the fur bed spreads

OFF

It is hard finding the right fur, and then it's a matter of finding the right occasion and having the right amount in the wallet! It's not easy if you're a guy. I also get annoyed by the perception by many that guys wearing furs is "gay" (I use the term loosely as I have no problem with people being that way inclined, I tend to see it that sexuality is a complex subject that isn't black and white, and hate being stereotyped in such way with prejudice) or that it's something only granny does (or in the case of PeTAtards, you're some hateful scummy twat who hates others... which is somewhat ironic coming from PeTA ARA's!)

Still I try and find time to wear my furs. Guys need to be more open about it. We need to be trend setters for the next generation!

Fuzzin Fox, welcome to the Den! Hope you have a fantastic time here. It is really great to see a new member making a number of posts. That is what gets this place a rockin'! Old guys like me have said the same things too many times. We need new folks like you.

Welcome Home!

White Fox

G'day Dr,

What a fabulous history. Isn't it funny....we can have all the right positive attitudes helping us but we still feel reserved / shy for some reason. Then the exact opposite, and still not wear fur...where is the middle ground???

I'm sure all of us here in the Den say - 'be yourself', celebrate 'fur' for what you like about it, not to get clapped on the back by your father. Hence, smaller more modest fur statements might fit in with your styling brief, a scarf, a hat, reversible jackets etc, and if worn more often the positives outweigh ANY PERCEIVED negatives......just be yourself and smile...

Auzmink.

Dr Scotty,

Welcome. Although I do not have my own fur, if I did, I would be shy as well. Not to worry, if you Mom and Dad wears fur, maybe you all can go out to dinner together wearing your minks. I am sure you'll get used to it, especailly if it is cold out? Do you live in a Country that is really cold at times?

Scotty

What a fantastic story. Pretty much every member here would wish that their parents had been the type to encourage them to wear fur! That really rates among the top stories that we have ever seen on any of these sites.

I loved it and the fact it describes a true experience really makes it "Shine"!

W

Pretty much every member here would wish that their parents had been the type to encourage them to wear fur!

Just what I was thinking! What fantastic parents you have, dr_scotty.