Fur den convention?

Guest furlessinCA

Has the topic of some sort of gathering of fur den folks ever come up? There is much cyber talk and sharing. Wouldn't it be cool to actually meet people? My first choices would be the ice hotels in Quebec or Iceland. But amy cold place would do I suppose.

NOTE: anything like this is beyond my means, I am just wondering.

J

It came up many years ago on the old NTC site. There was a lot of interest in it, and the organizer actually worked out a deal with a hotel in central NJ (I remember this because the hotel was probably 5 minutes from an old girlfriend's house). When it came time to book rooms, no one did and the idea died. The suggestion has been offered several times in the past, but no one has "taken the ball and run with it". If you're so inclined - go for it!

FLinFL

I've always thought it would be a neat idea but, for one reason or another, nothing has ever come of it.

The funny thing is, I know of two other websites where members have had get-togethers and they have always been quite successful.

One is a website for movie theater projectionists. Every year for ShoWest, they book a suite at a hotel in Vegas. Several guys show up and they have a grand old time. Another is a website for photographers. Every so often, somebody will hold a weekend workshop for photography at some location around the country.

The guy will post a message saying, "Come to my place for a weekend of photography. Send PM for directions." They'll set up a grill and picnic tables. Guys will bring their cameras and their film. They'll spend the weekend taking photos and talking shop. From what I read, somebody will strike up a deal at the local Motel-6 for discounts on rooms.

I wonder if the difference between those sites and the Fur Den is that there is separate motive for having a gathering.

The movie guys are going to Vegas for the yearly movie theater convention. They are just meeting up with internet buddies as an extra bonus.

The photography guys are going to the workshop to take photographs, not simply to hang out. (BTW: These are professional Old-School photographers, not just digi-snappers! )

I suppose if there was something for us to congregate around it might work out.

Is there some kind of furrier's convention that lets the general public attend? Maybe some fashion designer has a yearly fur fashion show where the public is allowed?

The reason I mention this is, let's imagine that we did have a fur gathering and everybody got together. We'd all have a drink and shoot the bull for about an hour. After that, people would start thinking, "What do we do now?" It would be like a bad class reunion where nobody knew anybody else.

So, if we could figure out a theme or an alternative reason for the gathering there might be a better chance of success.

Let's just imagine that there was a furrier's convention, some place. The ostensible reason for the gathering would be to attend the convention. Meeting up with friends from the Fur Den would be the secondary reason. If people got together and decided that they would rather remain internet friends instead of real-life friends they could each go their own separate ways and it would be "No harm, no foul."

But, if the reason for the gathering was simply to meet up with people you only know from the internet, it might end up being a creepy situation indeed!

But, if the reason for the gathering was simply to meet up with people you only know from the internet, it might end up being a creepy situation indeed!

While the idea of a "Fur Den convention" used to hold my interest, I would tend to agree with Worker. Our predilection lends itself very well to the luxurious anonymity (and net neutrality!) of the web. The fur fetish and fur fashion fan communities never really found a home on social media (MyFace/SpaceBook) because most information people share with social media is related to their "real", out-in-the-world, working lives. Some of us choose to be forward about what we do and where we're from. Many members choose not to post at all. I remember sitting silent in the late 1990s, watching the old websites like NTC web, Mikhail's, Mr. Barguzin's and the original Den. It took me almost two years to work up the confidence to actually tell my "why I like fur more than leather and chocolate" story (which was kindly archived, and then lost); it took another three or four years to find a made-up name that I actually like.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=joe

My friends, part of the Fur Den's appeal is that we could be anyone...anywhere.

You know, I feel like I have a "Fur Den convention" every time I go to New York in the winter, wearing fur, surrounded by people who I don't know...who are also wearing fur. Somehow, in this era of vintage chic and the infinite craigslist flea market, fur coats have finally lost their classist stodginess. Botox is the new mink stole, but you can't cuddle up at night with a syringe. Even if you're a Lohan.

I like the idea of forgetting, even for a moment, our differences and divisions, our traumas and triumphs -- and celebrating individual freedom of choice. We all must wear clothes, but no one forces us to wear our fur coats. Under our fur coats, we are all human.

J.

p.s. I suppose we could turn up in a hotel somewhere wearing furs and disguises. But that's almost whole different kind of fetish.

I have too thought about this in the past, but the more I think about it the more I feel it could be a bit awkward.

Personally, I am still fairly in the closet as far as furs go. Aside from my fiancee, no one else knows about why I have a fur coat, although several have seen it hanging at home and I have been out wearing it several times now.

For me, the anonimity of the Den is great, providing a place to talk to like minded people, without the embarrasment of being face to face. Although saying that, I am happy wearing fur in public now, although there is not much opportunity in Sydney!

Having said all the above, how about the St Moritz snow polo event in the Swiss Alps as a venue. Pricy, and maybe a bit far to go for many, but we would fit in for sure, and it ticks the 'cold' box!

Everyone brings up great points, especially Worker. What would there be to talk about? Unless of course venders like Mailon Furs would have an exhibit (and "show specials"). I cetainly understand the phtographer get together, there is a goal assicaited with the gathering. You are all correct, we would need a theme or events other than "Hi my name is...

Whoever said it might be creepy certainly hit on something. We all like something that is generally NOT socally acceptable. Anonymity IS a good thing. Further visiting NY or Aspen or St Moritz where one would be sorounded by furs keeps one's anonmymity but allows one to be in the environment. It sounds as if many of you wear your furs in public frequently (I'm dealing with low 90s right now which is COOL for this thime of year!).

At any rate, interesting discussion. Having vendors would be a bonus (I can imagine a Mink Glove booth). Oh well just a thought.

Later!

Beyond the concepts of theme and potential loss of anonymity, there are several other items to consider. We are a global community and no matter what venue would be chosen, many of us would not have the time or funds to travel to the location even if we wanted to. Thus attendance could be rather limited and somewhat defeat the main reason for the gathering.

I think smaller regional meet-ups might be more appropriate. Possibly coinciding with a local furrier's advertised sale or similar fur event. As an example, here in Anchorage, Alaska the annual Fur Rondy (late February - early March) could provide a theme. http://www.furrondy.net/ There are at least 8 fur shops of varying quality and price in downtown Anchorage.

unfortunately I have to comment on this after having only barely scanned the thread.

But I think that the key word here is anonymous. Have I met and/or talked to other members here on the phone or one on one? Yep. But on the whole I just wonder if many people would break that anonymous factor. That is I think why the first attempt fell through.

Everyone had a great time fantasizing about an upcoming get together with so many wearing furs or seeing husbands or wives etec. But when it came to reality it was only that. Just fantasy.

Again, I've not been able to read this thread fully. So hope this makes sense.

W

I think it would might be better if the motive for a get together was something besides fur.

First of all, the stigma of being a fur lover, for any reason, would be avoided.

Given all the strange things to have a fetish for that are available on the internet, having a fur fetish is really, really tame, these days. You've got people on those hard core bondage websites doing all sorts of things to each other but we are over here in our little corner of the internet talking about how nice it is to be wrapped up in a fur coat. In terms of the strangeness factor, I'd say the fur fetish rates about a "3" or a "4" on a scale of 1 to 10 but, somehow fur lovers feel ostracized for it.

I can see how people would not want to attend an event where the main reason was about fur. Therefore, we wouldn't call it a "fur event." We would figure out some other reason.

Second, there would be something to do besides meeting up with acquaintances you made on the internet.

Let's say we rented a suite at some hotel in Las Vegas or New York, etc. People would arrive, they would all shake hands and greet each other. They would have a few drinks and chat. Then, about fifteen minutes later, people would be standing around thinking, "What do we do now?"

Some people might hit it off but there's no guarantee. There's no reason for people to travel half way across the country or across the world just for one evening of drinking and socializing.

However, let's say we could arrange for a weekend at a ski resort. There are tons of things to do at a place like that. It would also be big enough that people could "get lost" if they so choose and nobody would be the wiser. If they wanted to blend into the background and not be noticed, it would be entirely possible.

If somebody set up a "fur convention" with vendors and people giving lectures or holding seminars, it would be a really neat idea but what happens after the first day when the whole thing peters out? Everybody would have gone though a lot of trouble and expense for nothing.

So, let's just theoretically just pick a place like Steamboat Springs in Colorado. (Or any place like that.)

A couple-three people might agree to visit Steamboat on the same weekend and meet up in a bar or a lounge, some place. They could have a drink, share some stories and, if they hit it off, they could take it from there. But, if they decided that they would rather remain internet friends, nobody would have gone through a lot of hassle for nothing.

If the date and location was known to everybody in the Fur Den, others could show up if they desired. They could blend into the background if they wanted to remain anonymous. They could contact one another via e-mail or through PM, here at the Den. If they wanted to meet up, they could. If they just wanted to watch from the sidelines, they could. If the whole thing went bust, people could still go skiing or do any one of 1,000 things that are offered at a major resort like Steamboat.

Imagine it all turns out to be a great success but there were only three or four people. There's always next year. That small group could agree to meet up in the same place (or another place) at the same time next year. There might even be more people then.

I guess there is this fantasy where somebody throws a big party and there would be all this drinking and dancing and camaraderie and everybody would be happy but, in reality there are a million little details that have to be looked after. You can't just snap your fingers and have a big party. I think something like a fur lover's convention would have to start small and grow into a larger event.

If, by magic, an annual fur gathering ever did happen it would probably take a few years to get the ball rolling.

Fantasists, Delusionists and Realists,

This issue crops up on every fur forum about every three to six months and my response is nearly always the same. I think only one other fur community has successfully managed to get something significant going through a combination of a relatively local member base and good resources or member generousity. The idea that any sizable number of mostly anonymous forum members are going to make plans to jet half way around the globe to meet with other people they don't really know isn't going to happen, is it.

My advice to others is, and has always been, to start very, very small. Know what your own commitments and dependencies are and how realisticly you can host or trvel to meet others. Make friends online with local fur fans within the same city, district or even state if you know that you could travel. Then after you get conversing online if you feel enough mutual bonds and connections and feel comfortable and trusting of each other, then consider trying to talk by phone or meet in person. Nothing big or extravagant, just agree the mutual boundaries for such an encounter beforehand so there's no awkwardness or embarassment and - this is the big one - make sure you can commit to it and do attend the call/meeting. Once you've had your first contact you'll know if you got on okay and want to continue such contact, and find it easier to make others. Then, once different pairs of like-minded souls start chatting and meeting - and trusting each other - you can think about extending it to larger gatherings with extended networks of contacts getting together in greater numbers.

I've been meeting fur fans for around 18 years now but rarely more than one at a time. My meetings are social ones, some public and some private but with fur as an added topic of conversation and not the only thing connecting me with the others. It's just like meeting other friends for drinks, a meal or chat really; it doesn't need to involve fur wearing, trips to furriers or anything sexual but just sharing mutual ideas, experiences and information about fur matters. Often those I meet have never met another fur fan before so I hope I can give them a friendly face and more confidence to meet others. I've probably met 15 or so UK-based fur fans since meeting my first contact and had I the venue and time I'm sure I could arrange something to get most of them together for a social. Nothing strange or kinky, just introducing people to others sharing their passions for fur.

It's easy guys - although more difficult for you girls - so find those near to you and reach out if you have the availability to do so.

Good luck!

Regards,

Mr Mockle

All I can think of is where would one put those tacky 'Hello My Name Is' stickers when we're all wearing fur?

Not on my silver fox!

Mr Mockle brings up some very good points and advise about how it would be best done - start small and let it grow.

I just have an image of a bunch of guys, with nothing else in common, standing around in public wearing furs and stroking each others coats/jackets. Could look a bit wierd. If a small group of 2 or 3 friends invite others to join them, it would be a lot easier and less awkward.

And personally, I can't afford to fly to the US just for one evening of drinks, and explain to the Mrs, who accepts my fetish but doesn't quite get it, why I have spent $1000's on a flight, when she thinks it's silly I spend $100's on a coat.

Nice idea, and good luck with it. I hope for the organisers sake that it works and some people can make it.

If one is close to, chats with regularly online, and in the same general area (Say for US folks... the Midwest, Northwest, Northeast... etc) Why not grab a drink sometime? Even iff they met here, they might not even have to talk about/wear fur -unless it's cold and they want to stay warm- but they could talk about other things and merely cite The Fur Den as the place they met over their mutual love of fur, only to discover that they had a lot else in common later.

I'm in Milwaukee, I love going to Alterra Coffee, walking the Third Ward, and visiting the Art museum... anyone interested?

I have met 2 members for the The Fur Den, and consider several here my friends. But, going to a convention of cyber friends is probably not for me. For the obvious reasons, but also would rather spend the money on a new fur!

All I can think of is where would one put those tacky 'Hello My Name Is' stickers when we're all wearing fur?

Denizens are so diverse that when I read through a few posts all I could think of were "topics" for break out sessions like:

*Smoking and Fur: Dunhill and Golden Island Fox, Benson & Hedges and Sheared Beaver - What's your pleasure? (You would not find me here ... Ugh.)

*Fur Masturbation: Is SAGA Blue Fox really the ultimate sex toy? (You would not find me here either.)

*Long Hair and Fur: Do Blondes really have the most fun? (Interesting ...)

*80's Power Furs: A Decade of Decadence! (I'm in!)

*Zuki: Canadian Fur Master (Yeah, Baby!)

I agree with Mr Mockle. It is difficult to make the arrangements and realize the meeting even if you are meeting just one person, whom you have never met in real life before. As you increase the number of people involved in such a meeting, the difficulties would simply expand geometrically.

Well i have to say a little something because the idea was first in the city of Québec or Iceland.

I'm from Montreal and i think that in the area of Quebec city, there is a place that could be very nice. That is the ICE HOTEL! Its not in the city, its away from it, plus its made of ice. Its a real hotel, you can sleep in it too! How cool can that be? (well in fact its about -7 celcius!!!).

http://www.icehotel-canada.com/

Check it out!

I sometimes meet Kevin and Shirley at Ungar Furs in Portland but that's as far as I've taken this.

We enjoy Horst's company and maybe go out for lunch. Portland has great restaurants.

OFF

I've got an idea.

What if we put a sticky thread in the "Fur Freaks Anonymous" forum where members could put a short post saying that they'll be in some location so that others could arrange to meet.

It would be in the locked, "Fur Freaks" forum where only members in good standing can see it.

We stipulate that meetings are strictly social/friendship oriented but, of course, what consenting adults do on their own time is none of my damn business.

If the thread becomes popular we can decide whether we want to expand the concept to include some form of mass meeting or "convention," if you will.

If the thread becomes a problem or if nobody participates, we simply delete the thread and we're done with the idea.

What do you all think?

• 3 weeks later...

You qualify to be able to see that area so I have opened it for you. If I did my homework right, you will be able to enter it now.

See you there.

W