Snow, Snow, Go Away!!!

JGalanos

Rufnaf

Snow can be beautiful. As mentioned above, we get a fair bit. I remember being in Atlanta one time when they closed everything pretty much. There was a mall open and I went in and everyone was asking how I got there. It was not even close to bad driving conditions for us up here yet everyone was staying home there. Maybe an inch of snow with absolutely no drifting.

What some of us have really been describing is that first off, snow can be almost the most beautiful thing in the world. You get up in the morning and trees may be coated with it. Everything is white. When it melts it gives the land a life giving moisture that is so much better than rain. But the bad side is that it can make for dangerous driving both with slippery roads, and whiteouts causing the death of many people each year. It can looks terribly dirty as it melts and if it melts and refreezes it can be terrible to walk on.

***Bit! We do get to wear fur. And that alone makes it all worth while!

In short, yep, most of us would not trade winter here for anything. And, indeed, it can be a pain in the as - sorry - very difficult!

W

I remember being in Atlanta one time when they closed everything pretty much. There was a mall open and I went in and everyone was asking how I got there.

Lots of comedy potential in that situation!

Play up the "I'm from Canada" angle.

Tell them "What? Snow? This isn't snow! When you're up to your a$$ in white stuff... THAT's snow!"

Most Southern folks can't comprehend.

If you REALLY want to make them blow a fuse, tell them about ICE FISHING!

"We wait until the water freezes then we walk out and drill a HOLE in it then we use tiny, little fishing poles to drop a hook and line through the ice!"

Play it right and I guarantee smoke will come out their ears!

That Canada angle can be dangerous...

Was in South Carolina once heading North. Left my coat (fur) in the car as it seemed rather warm when I got out and thought it would look strange. Got talking to some people standing outside, and they talked of how cold it was and how I was standing there without a coat. I got colder. and colder. But since they were talking about this hardy Canadian be damned if I was going to get my coat.

Well. Got the worst cold of my life out of that one! Never again!

W

I have had similar experiences. But, to most of them, "cold" means anything below 65 deg. F. Once it gets below that temperature, they seem to lose the ability to differentiate between "Really Cold" and merely "Chilly".

I just tell people that the shoe will be on the other foot when summer rolls around. They feel a lot better about the situation when you frame it that way. They'll be standing there saying things to the effect that, once the temperature goes above 90 deg., us Yankees can't tell the difference between "Really Hot" and merely "Warm".

Just ask them what they do when it's 100 deg. in the shade.

Simple! They go in the house, turn on the air conditioning and drink cold iced tea! Well, we do the same thing when it gets freezing cold, only in reverse. We just go in the house, light a fire in the fireplace and drink hot coffee.

Snuggling up in a nice, warm fur coat is optional... It comes highly recommended, though!

Finally ... The snow is melting. After this long, dark winter, I'm actually looking forward to spring. Since I purchased my first furs, I've always been sorry to see spring come ... And my furs return to the vault. But this year I have not one but two mink jackets to carry me into May. My goal is to wear each one of my full length furs at least one more time before they are stored ... And my jackets as much as possible. They are perfect for 30 - 40 degree (F) weather.

It`s true that we have had a warm winter in Norway and N Europe.

Last week it was spring wheather here, but suddenly on friday we got lot

of snow and it`s very cold. Have seen several nice fur out today.

a bit of snow in Amsterdam, greenhouse effect? freezing.

In Italy last week, around 15 centigrade, 59 F, so many beautiful ladies wearing fur, I couldn't believe it..... Mama Mia!