Snow, Snow, Go Away!!!

JGalanos

It's snowing again tonight. Enough already!!! There has been snow on the ground here since December 1st -- 96 days and counting. I don't mind the cold (it's ~25 F right now -- I was out and about in my fisher coat today) ... But snow and ice are another story. This has been the snowiest winter of my life -- Over 5 feet of snow has fallen here since December.

Apparently not everyone has "enjoyed" the same winter weather I have.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23467275/

It's been sufficiently cold and even some snow this winter in the upper left hand corner.

Lots of snow in the mountains with lots of traffic stopping avalanches.

Going up this weekend and take a few fur pictures.

OFF

I feel for you. It was never the snow that bothered me. It was the gray days that lasted for weeks-on-end.

I got an email about a huge ice wave near Mackinaw City. It must have been a spoof. It looked like Antarctica.

Wonder if flooding will be bad this year?

Must admit being in Atlanta has not bothered me a bit this Winter. Still freezes here so can wear my furs!!

Linda

JG, send it this way, not cold nor snowy in the UK and I want to throw a snowball - (ok wear some fur also)

Auzmink.

It's the 80s and I've had the a/c running for a few days now down here. Yeah, a blast of cold weather (although you can keep the snow and ice) would be very welcome!

FLinFL

JG, send it this way, not cold nor snowy in the UK and I want to throw a snowball - (ok wear some fur also)

Auzmink.

Seconded!

All the wonderful snow is going away where I am but it's still super cold. I ended up walking my dog for only a half hour because we were both freezing!

It's the 80s and I've had the a/c running for a few days now down here. Yeah, a blast of cold weather (although you can keep the snow and ice) would be very welcome!

FLinFL

I kinda hate you right now. It's been snowing since noon. 30 mph winds, well below freezing and they say we could get near two feet of snow by Sunday.

Come on up. Bring you're own damn shovel.

Sorry wallee, I just can't do that... after all, I left my shovel and show blower in the garage of my former NJ home when I was transferred down here!

FLinFL

We just got hit by snowstory which dumped over a foot of snow on my town in the last day and a half! NOAA weather predicts as much as 20 inches of total snowfall in some areas by the time this is over!

Temperatures have ranged between 15º and 20º fahrenheit with windchills ranging from 6ºF down to 0ºF.

We even had a little thundersnow this afternoon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

Once this storm moves out, there's a chance we'll be caught by an Alberta Clipper right behind.

Winter weather is still with us!

When you live in this part of the country you learn to expect this sort of thing. We don't even start looking for springtime weather until April. Even then, I've seen it snow in JUNE!

PA sounds like MN! We get a reasonable share of crazy weather around here as well. In all honesty though, I miss the winters that we got around 20 years ago. Yes, it was a lot of snow but the temps were more balanced out.

I lived in the Dayton/Cincinnati area as well for a few years and don't recall any major snowstorms... they seemed to go either north or south of that area. I do remember many bone-chilling days and nights though!

FLinFL

It finally stopped snowing here around 3am last night. It started Friday early afternoon. I think we ended up with just shy of 2 feet of snow. Seems like a lot more when you've shoveled 6 times already.

Seems like a lot more when you've shoveled 6 times already.

Tell me about it!

No sooner do you get the driveway all shoveled out than a snowplow comes along and plows you back in!

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't seem like the bastards were making a game out of it!

Strange thing is that this year I have moved much less snow than on most years. In fact, the neighbor has cleaned my lane twice. I cleaned it once. And that is it!

And I am so called Canadian!

I do need to get for one more fur outing this year though.

W

This has supposedly been the worst winter since '78 at least in the US Midwest. The roads and sidewalks and walking trails have been a mess. No one expected this much snow so insufficient funds were allocated for snow removal. Some state and local governments ran out of ice melt. Just a nasty ol' winter.

This was a 4 fur weekend ... I was out and about in ranch mink, American raccoon, Finn raccoon, and fisher. One of the benefits of having a "fur wardrobe" is having a fur to suit every mood, occasion, and pant color in your closet!

In England, if we get 6mm of snow people go in to overdrive here, the effect off 6mm of snow is like 6 inches in the US / canada. When it gets over a cm, then we run into serious troubles (like major road closures, people being ill from the cold etc).

Based on concent of survival of the fitest, We badly need some fat-ass snow storm that gives us a foot of snow a few times over. That way it should cause enough disruption to make people want to buy furs while killing off all the PeTA freaks who are too stubborn to change!

In England, if we get 6mm of snow people go in to overdrive here, the effect off 6mm of snow is like 6 inches in the US / canada.

th_Snow4.jpg

th_Snow3.jpg

(This is a picture of an Interstate Highway/Freeway! )

When my [now ex] wife and me first got to the northwest in 1970 we went up to Paradise which is on the SW side of Mt Rainier at about 7500 ft. elevation.

It happened to be the winter of the deepest snow of any official weather station anywhere. 1100inches deep.

The following winter it was 1400 inches. The snow was up to the eaves of the two story Lodge .. a very tall two stories with a tunnel to the front door through the snow bank. This was in July!!!

That's SNOW!!!!

I loved it

OFF

I'm not claiming my pictures to be a record snowfall or anything. In fact, they are quite normal for winter time in this area. This is just a "Good, old fashioned winter."

When people from most of the US are driving their cars in a snowstorm and they find themselves skidding toward a ditch, they scream, "Oh, my God!"

When people from Pennsylvania are driving their cars in a snowstorm and they find themselves skidding toward a ditch, they say:

"Here! Hold my coffee and HANG ON!"

:rofl:

Indeed, lol, if we had anything more than 4 inches settle on the whole country for a week or two, the whole country would practically shut down and the media would be calling it a national crisis

Sorry if I led you to believe I was laughing at you. I was only remembering some things from days gone by.

For a time, I lived in North Carolina and did a lot of traveling throughout the Southeast US.

Two snowflakes would shut down schools and office for a day. A light dusting would paralyze the city. Anything deeper than a half inch would be considerd a state emergency!

Here I am, a born-and-bred Pennsyltucky driver, bopping along the highway like there was nothing in the world to worry about.

I was seriously thinking about putting up a sign on the bulletin board of my apartment building:

Experienced Pennsylvania driver:

Willing to ferry paying customers anywhere within city limits.

Price: $10.00 per mile.

I should have also gone to Wal-Mart when I was visiting home, up North to buy a dozen or so window scapers for car windows. I could have sold them at a premium price!