Only in America

Foxy Lady

Some food for thought:

American congressman only have 97 scheduled days in session this year. The lowest number in history!!! So far they have worked ONLY 19 days while the average American has put in over 50 days!!! This really made me want to rush to work this morning...*sarcasm dripping from my voice*. This is digusting. I work 252 days per yr for $25,000.00 and they work 97 for $250,000.00?!?! Only in America.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1749900

Sorry, you have to watch the 15 second commercial before the news story, but it's worth it!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReFur

• Foxy Lady

• Mr Barguzin

• FrBrGr

Top Posters In This Topic

they are a frustrating lot! i spend far too many hours trying to see what they are talking about each day on live senate and house coverage... wow, that's like watching paint dry, i can tell ya!

Yeah and they thought CSpan would make Congress more responsible to the People.

They just get to see what idiots they actually are. They don't care that you know.

OFF

Edited by Guest

What will they show on live congress the 268 days a year they are off? I work as many days as they have off!!! I am getting more and more annoyed by the minute!

Yeah, it's scary that these insulated, well-looked after old shits who are so out of touch with the "average joe," are making up the rules of the game! It makes me mad to watch them, but there are a few pending bills before the senate that I want to keep up with... so now and then I yell at the tv in protest. I think it is about as effective as any one person can protest ... they already have their own agendas and hear what they are paid to hear anyhow. So unless you got a lotta cash and a great number behind you, ranting at them on the screen is a good release for me, for now at least.

I feel ya with their lack of time in on the job and effort being exasperating.

Tarnation, and I thought only Aussies were cynical about their representatives. hmmmmmmmmmmmm here?? or somewhere else..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... nah new topic WEG

That is such a good point once again Miss T. The PA legislature has a bill before them right now to raise minimum wage in PA. This is something I am very interested in and moved by because I was a waitress for such a long time, both full and part time. I often work two jobs. Do you have any idea what PA's minimum wage is??????? Ready for this? You better sit down! ...............

$5.15/hr. (A waitress in PA gets only $2.83/hr because of tips!)

And the best part of that is this, they have denied raising it 3 times in the past 6 months to $6.15/hr. Their reasoning for the denial you ask?! It's too much of an increase. They only want a $.50 increase total and to raise it by only $.25 per year for the next 2 years starting January 1, 2007. The last time we had a minimum wage increase in PA was in 1995 when it was raised from $4.85/hr to $5.15/hr. Let's add this up. $5.15/hr for 40 hrs/wk = $206.00!!! That's before a MINIMUM tax of 20%. Wow! $164.80 after taxes! That's 10% below poverty level What the hell do they care right?! They are making 6 figures a year.

It is ridiculous what the minimum wage worker and wait staff (I've been both lots! ) is expected to live on. There were many times in years past when I couldn't rent a place to live because they would see I worked fast food and ask how I could have enough to pay the rent! If you're not buggered one way, then it's gonna be another, that is the only certain thing.

I thank God everyday that I don't have to get another retail/food service job... it is torturous beyond what even the most diligent slaves would desire to take, in so many ways!

I give great credit to those who have to serve the rest of us, in any capacity, but especially those in food service! Tipping well is a mandatory! Cause as FoxyLady shows us, the laws aren't going to change positively anytime soon....

I hear that Miss T!!! I have had my share of crappy waitress/min. wage jobs as well. I ALWAYS tip well, most times over 20% (the general concensus is that 10% to 15% is acceptable, think again!). I know what it feels like to only make $30 in a ten hour shift serving people with 6 figure incomes!

If we want to make things different, then the first thing we have to do is make the People care enough to get off of their sorry asses and become involved! I'll bet you dimes to donuts that since this November is an "off-year" election in the US, you'll not see more than 35 or 40% of the electorate showing up at the polls to vote. Can you imagine that?? And in Pennsylvania, one of the candidates running for the freaking governorship, for crying out loud, hasn't voted many more times than he has voted! Yup - 35-40% of the people will manage to bother themselves to take fifteen or twenty minutes out of their busy lives to exercise one of our most important freedoms. The other 60-65% will say that it was too rainy or too cold, or their kid was sick or maybe their dog was, or the car wouldn't start or they had to go shopping, or worst yet - they had chicken soup for lunch . . . ! (You see, one excuse is about as good as the other . . . )

Contrast that to a certain country that just held a national election where 95% of the people, under threats of death if they showed up at the polls, defiantly did show up, proud to have finally been given the opportunity to exercise a freedom that far too many of us here in the United States apparently take for granted. They have learned first hand that liberty is the best cure for the human condition.

Yeah, you're right - What a sorry mess we have in Washington, DC! And I say that as a dedicated Conservative (as opposed to a "Neo-Con") who has done everything in his power to support the Republican Party. I have never missed the opportunity to vote! I've given that support because I absolutely loathe what liberals have done to this country over almost half a century. But what has the Republican Party done to reward my work and the work of thousands of other true conservatives in the US? Not one freaking thing! Except for the few raging left-wing Marxist a-holes that call themselves Democrats, there's very little difference in what you see on either side of the Congressional isle anymore.

So what can I do to recruit fellow activists who are sick and tired of what they see on CNN? Activists that shake their heads at those who take their constituancy for granted? Activists that will do more than go to the polls? Activists that will affect change by supporting and working for candidates (regardless of party affiliation) who will turn things around in this country and get us back on track to being the strongest country in the world?

Only in America? No . . . Only in a country where its citizens care enough to work for the very best.

FrBrGr,

I hate to tell you that a good friend of yours considers herself to be a Republican "Survivor". (For non-English speaking members, it is popular for people in US to label themselves as being a survivor of some horrible thing, like Cancer, etc)

Can't say I am a Democrat either. Is there a political term equivalent to the religious agnostic? I always have voted. But, to be honest I am so sick of the Cheney "regime" I could just crawl in a hole. The only politician I know of right now that is worth anything is John McCain.

You must be more careful of who your friends are. I don't watch CNN though. Dislike FOX even more than CNN. I do watch 60 minutes on Sunday night. And, I do listen to NPR in the morning. See ya just never know!!

Can I be your token anti-Republican friend?

Linda

Good grief, ne'er seen so much whinging in all my days!!!!

AND It's all yer own fault really, shoulda stayed as a Monarchy & we would have looked after you & nursed you through your infant years,

In fact how about a regime change?

To the citizens of the United States of America

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and

thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of

your independence, effective immediately. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen

Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states,

commonwealths, and territories (excepting Kansas, which she does not

fancy).

Your new prime minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America

without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be

disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine

whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following

rules are introduced with immediate effect: (You should look up

"revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will

be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and

'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without

skipping half the letters, and the suffix ize will be replaced by the

suffix ise. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to

acceptable levels. (look up vocabulary).

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises

such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of

communication. There is no such thing as US English. We will let

Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be

adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the

elimination of -ize. You will relearn your original national anthem, God

Save The Queen.

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns,

lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and

therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns

should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort

things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're

not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything

more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you

wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for

your own good When we show you German cars, you will understand what we

mean.

8. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will

start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you

will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of

conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you

understand the British sense of humour.

9. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been

calling gasoline)-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French

fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato

chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in

animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

11. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually

beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to

as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be

referred to as Lager. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen

Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

12. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as

good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to

play English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English

dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having

one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

13. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of

proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in

time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American

football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds

or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

14. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to

host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played

outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a

world beyond your borders, your error is understandable.

15. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

16. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's

Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all

monies due (backdated to 1776).

17. Edit by White. Every State in the US has lost many of its young folk. Canadians and Brits have died. And above all thousands of Muslim Civilians who are just trying to live an honest life. We should not make fun of something where tens of thousands of people have died!

Thank you for your co-operation.

I agree wholeheartedly except for the bit about Tony Blair whose dominion over us is bad enough.

Since the Americans have demonstrated a clear inability to govern themselves they do not need any kind of government stooge and will answer directly to The Queen.

Furthemore:

Texas shall immediately be given back to Mexico apart from The Alamo

which may have special shrine significance.

France shall be paid properly for the Louisiana purchase and then the land given back to the Seminole.

Pamela Anderson shall be arrested... (Edit by White. I did not see this before but it went way, way over the line of decency! Folks are dying. People reading this may have relatives who are prisoners. Let's remember that here. It does not matter if you are Aphgani or American. Muslim or Christian. Please be careful here!)

An interim government shall be set up of tribal indigenous leaders while the question of reparations to them is arranged, and weapons of mass destruction seized by indigenous appointed deputies of the Crown.

All government officials and members of the armed forces of the US who refuse to capitualte will be held in Guantanemo bay.

The assets of Heinz shall be seized and all existing products sold and land assets/profits given back for the reintroduction of the buffalo.

The American flag may be incorporated as thirteen stars on a navy flag with the Union Jack in the corner....like Australia.

And finally the vileness you call Cola shall be replaced by Dandelion and Burdock.

Form this moment forth The United States of America is an illegal state and its dominion over you as a government ceased.

You are now liberated citizens of the Crown.

Assistant Governor to General Furelli, Governor of the New British colonies of the Americas ,TOS

ps we are serious.

Furelli, and Touch this hurts me. I hope that this post helps you understand why. I was not going to comment, but I respect you both enough to respond.

Our stupidity and decline is not blind to us. Nor are we indifferent to it.

If you let Americans talk, without feeling a need to defend, you will find that we feel very strongly about many of the these issues as well. Most Americans hate where we are turning into. We simply do not have what it takes to change the course of our fate apparently.

Our children have a tremendous debt to inherit, our jobs are going away. Our nation is in a health crises. We could go on and on about what we are afraid of when we look at our government.

But, if that criticism comes from the outside, then we will not tell you what we really think. We will defend as any honorable citizen would.

Of all the Countries that might have room to attack our obvious stupidity, I believe history would reflect that the UK should not throw stones. Your turn at world power certainly has been criticised.

I agree with the German car comment, I believe the world knows that. But, would you buy an English car? I don't even know, do they still make them? Japan and Germany make wonderful cars. Actually, some of our cars are great too, but not in the same league as the leaders.

We excel at other things. Each Country excel at different things? What is there about the UK that makes you think that we are bad and you are good?

Just as the population in the UK could not stop their loss of power and status in the world. I doubt the US can either. It is simply history repeating itself over and over. It is not fun to know your country was once in Power and lost it and now we are in the same boat. I just hope the next world leaders do a better job than the previous.

Why do you think that expressing these things to us will help? It is hurtful to me. I already feel helpless. Just as helpless as you are in your country.

My Great-Grand Parents were American Indian, Irish and German. As an American this makes me very different. I am not just aligned with one nationality as you. Americans are a melting pot. We are a young nation compared to the UK. In many ways we are a mosaic of all of the rest of you.

In the end, we are all human beings, that seem to repeat our history over and over again. Please don't separate us into some supreme category that deserves to have stones thrown at us.

Linda

PS Please don't tell me these posts are kidding and teasing. That is just not honest.

I dunno about teasing and kidding... but I do understand some satire can actually cut to the quick.

In Oz, we have what is known as the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" where someone succeeds beyond expectation and we "cut them down to size". Greg Norman is a prime example of this. It is made up of envy as well as being a defense mechanisism for individual success by self or others.

There will always be envy where humans are concerned. It is as natural as rock. The degree may vary, but it will be there.

To outsiders, the US sets itself up on the world stage as "THE BOSS" as in do it my way or hit the road (Hm not unlike some bosses I have worked for *grin*)

The thing is that as the world grows smaller via the net and satellite TV etc, more and more people are seeing the imperfections not only within there own societal structure, but within others as well.

US legislation set up the corporate body as an individual. The same applies in most western countries. The corporation is now the biggest threat to mankind. Forget your christian/muslim factional fighting. Corporations and the people that run them see but one thing and that is the end result (this year) justifies the means. The US holds itself out to be the home of capitalism. Well, capitalism has made quite a place for it there, where it can assist candidates to attain politcal power and then sit back and wait for the chance to recoup some of that outlay, not for the general good, but for their own balance sheet.... and hence the highflyers extravagent lifestyles.

Personality cults are another fools paradise. Who really cares if brad pitt marries genna davies (you read it here foirst folks). But it provides a mindless diversion from meeting the weekly bills for the greater majority of the planet... and in Namibia... the question is... who's brad pitt?

PS Please don't tell me these posts are kidding and teasing. That is just not honest.

Sorry but they are, no more no less, it's something we do, we don't take ourselves so seriously on our tiny little island. Perhaps it's because we're not the ones up there on the pedestal, getting feeling's of paranoia about what world opinion thinks about us? Everybody gets shot at now & again but I jus don't get it to be honest - are Americans that protective? French will have a pop at the Germans, the Norwegians the Swedes, The Brits & the Irish & so on - it's no big deal really.

Take it with a pinch of salt

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states,

commonwealths, and territories

Oh, great. Does this mean that we have to put up with the likes of Camilla Parker-Bowles-Windsor, too? With all due respect, I think I'd rather have Teresa Heinz-Kerry.

I do think we've found common ground, though. Unbelieveably, we still have chaps in the USA who are still fighting our Civil War . . .

I dunno, Refur - I found some of that good ol' dry Brit humor amongst the vitriol. Kinda brought a chuckle to this old guy's throat. I do have one observation about the superiority of the German cars, though. Paris tunnels and British Intelligence have proven to be too strong for them. Maybe Camilla should take a vacation to France. Could save the Kingdom further embarrassment . . .

Furelli,

Then maybe you don't realize how much Americans are hurting right now.

There is nothing humorous about this. Everything we have believed that we stood for is in question. Most of us do not trust or respect our leaders. Look at our polls.

There was nothing funny about many of the points you made. The state of the world right now is not funny. The role we have played in making it worse is even less funny.

Linda

Linda, IMHO you would feel much better about a lot of things if you would wean yourself away from NPR, CBS and CNN. I have found that organizations such as these (and let's not forget the nearly defunct Radio America!) deal more with a Marxist agenda than they care about truth.

The greatness of America is still intact. We just have to be more aware of who is trying to undermine its foundations. I hate what many would like for us to believe America is turning into, and what we will turn into if those people continue to have their way (much of it is first getting you to believe that their agenda is right). I also disagree that Americans don't have what it takes to challenge those who seek to destroy a proud heritage. Like Peter Finch's character screamed in the priceless old movie, "Network," "I'm mad as Hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!" most Americans are sick-and-damned-tired of being told what they should believe and what they shouldn't, when it comes from an agenda that is clearly dichotomous to our basic socio-economic beliefs.

I am of the humble opinion that in order to take back our liberties, it will take massive uprising from all the down-trodden, all the poor, all the needy and overlooked to do a bit of change - ala mad mob style, civil uprising and mass demonstration shows of force. Our republic, not democracy, operates very much without the average Joe knowing what time of day it is, let alone why they should be infuriated and take a stand. I do believe our fate, as a country, is sealed. The wheels are in motion, and I am just biding my time till I can get out of this "free land"... kinda like waiting out a prison sentence.

The powers that be don't care about the drones that make up the expendable masses here, votes were and are bought and sold and we weren't invited to the auction wherein our rights were given to the highest bidder.

Oh, can you tell I choose not to participate in a system that works to the advantage of some and ignores the needs of most? I am all for survival of the fittest and desire a more primitive, balanced and realistic way of life where one works with the planet in a more sybiotic manner... one that is lost forever in our "civilized society."

I'm waiting for it all to come down, actually.