Any Transformers fans in?

Unclejoe420

Hey peeps!!

Sorry to let out my inner nerd, but was just wondering if there were any other Transformers fans in here? Just thought I'd ask, what with the live-action movie being scheduled for release in the US tomorrow (us Brits have to wait another 3+weeks), am hoping I'm not the only robot-lovin' nutcase in here!!

Unclejoe

It's actually been a source of conversation amongst old childhood friends of mine and I. We aren't living anywhere near each other these days but we've all discussed checking it out and seeing what they changed when they made the film. Aside from seeing old familiar characters and being reminded of easier days.

I'm not trying to burst anybody's bubble but, if the trailers are any indication, the whole movie looks like "CGI Soup" to me.

Plus, the fact that Michael Bay produced the thing means that the whole movie is going to be one long series of "machine gun" edits. I like to see an image remain on-screen for more than 0.68 seconds.

The idea of "Transformers" in a movie is cool but I don't think this particular incarnation is going to be all it's cracked up to be. I want it to be so much more but I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed.

Well, while the animated movie that came out 'back when' was good. A live-action version should still be good to some extent. Even any doubters shouldn't mind, at least I don't think so.

I'm not trying to burst anybody's bubble but, if the trailers are any indication, the whole movie looks like "CGI Soup" to me.

Plus, the fact that Michael Bay produced the thing means that the whole movie is going to be one long series of "machine gun" edits. I like to see an image remain on-screen for more than 0.68 seconds.

The idea of "Transformers" in a movie is cool but I don't think this particular incarnation is going to be all it's cracked up to be. I want it to be so much more but I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed.

Then you must hate Dark City, as it has cuts that average just as short.

The argument was against CGI in place of production values.

It seems that, when a producer can't make a movie that people would want to watch on its own merit, they try to spice it up with special effects.

Take "Star Wars" for example. The first three parts were wonderful, imaginative and engaging. The special effects were great but they didn't overshadow the plot.

The second three parts were "good" movies but couldn't hold a candle to the originals. The special effects overshadowed. The acting, although "decent" was not on par with the originals and the plot seemed to be thrown together in such a way as to give the guys in the laboratories of Industrial Light and Magic the most opportunities to insert special effects.

Thus the term: "CGI Soup"

I'm sure the "Transformers" movie will be "good enough" for the faithful. I'm just afraid it's going to go down the same road George Lucas took "Star Wars".

When "Star Wars" came out in 1977, I thought it was awesome! When the second and third episodes came out they were as good as or even better than the first. Some say that "Empire" was the best of them all!

You can imagine my anticipation when "Episode I" came out in 1999. The movie was "good" but it was not George Lucas' best, by FAR. "American Graffitti" was better. Even "THX-1138" was better!

"American Graffitti" had virtually NO special effects. "THX-1138" was made when Lucas had only begun the concept of Star-Wars-like special effects. It was his "beta test" of sorts.

The difference is that people would have wanted to watch "Star Wars" even if there were no special effects. They wouldn't have cared if you could see the fishing line holding up the space ships. The story was THAT good!

I think, by the time Lucas was ready to make the second trilogy, he had a built-in audience demographic. They would have come to see the movie no matter WHAT it was like. I know *I* did! And, I went to see "Episode II" and "Episode III" for the same reason: Just because it's "Star Wars".

I'd even say that Episodes II and III were progressively WORSE than their predecessors!

It's pretty much at that point when I decided that computer generated 3-D special effects aren't so special anymore. To be honest, any idiot can do them at home on his computer these days! (I am one such idiot. )

Special effects no longer drive my will to go see a movie. It's nice to see them if they add to the movie but I won't go see a movie based on the special effects.

The only exception to that are Pixar films. But, then, there hasn't been a Pixar film that I WOULDN'T want to see, regardless of the type of animation used.

Well, as it turns out, I'm going to be seeing this tonight. Compared to friends here, I'm 'behind on the power curve'... (fellow enthusiasts) I'll be sure share what I take away from it and I won't give any story away either.

Well, now that the holiday has come and gone, I want to follow up with what I posted earlier.

The movie itself wasn't bad. They had some of the main characters for each side of things. While I didn't recognize some of the decepticons, I do remember they introduced new characters in later evolutions of the story. They reworked the story line a little but it 'worked' in my opinion. They also changed up how each 'transformer' aquired their shape or profile. There was a good deal of CGI but I don't think it was a negative in my opinion. If you're a fan of the story and characters, I think you'll enjoy the movie. If you have any experience in the military, you'll get an added laugh or two out of things. I spent some time answering questions during the movie from people sitting around me, both people I was there with and people I sat next to.

Depending on what prices are like where you live. I definitely think it's worth the price of a matinee but full price for an evening show I'm not sure about. Where I live, it's around $8 for a ticket at most places, some are more. If you want to play it safe and see it in the theater, check out a matinee. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The official cinema projectionist's movie rating scale:

• 5 Stars ***** = Great! Must see! Classic! (Gone With the Wind. Citizen Kane.)
  • 4 Stars **** = Excellent! Would pay to see it even though I am the projectionist and I can see it for free.
  • 3 Stars *** = Good! Worthwhile to watch since I am the projectionist and can see it for free.
  • 2 Stars ** = Okay. If I had a friend who wanted to see it I would take them because I can get them in for free. But I probably wouldn't watch it otherwise.
  • 1 Star * = Not so hot. Probably wouldn't watch it even though I can see it for free unless I didn't have anything else better to do.
  • 0 Star = Hey! I'm the projectionist! I've got better things to do besides sit in a movie theater on my day off!

How would you rate it on that system? I'm estimating three stars. No?

Thank you for the scale..

I'll agree with that.. although I will lean more towards 4 but I won't argue with 3 stars.

Might go see it Saturday afternoon. I've been into Transformers since I was 10, & now I'm 32 almost 33. You can grow-up but the kid in you doesn't have too

Might go see it Saturday afternoon. I've been into Transformers since I was 10, & now I'm 32 almost 33. You can grow-up but the kid in you doesn't have too

...very true.

Here's the thing. Of course it had a lot of CGI, but that was due to many things that couldn't work without CGI, rather than it being used gratuitously. I should add that the script will work as long as you don't expect anything Oscar caliber. It's not meant to be. Yet I do concede some of the comic relief will be a little much to some.

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

There is a scene where the autobots are trying to sneak around the Witwiki's house, and not doing a good job. It may seem silly, but it's to show that the autobots are not perfect, and they can be as destructive as the decepticons if they are not careful.

END ALERT

As for your rating, I give it a 4. It's not perfect, but it's not meant to be. It's meant to make us believe a giant robot invasion could happen.

And with the money it's already making, it gives me hope we will see Voltron and a movie version of Evangelion.

There's nothing wrong with a movie that's just meant to be "eye candy" as long as you know what to expect going in.

There's nothing wrong with a movie that's just meant to be "eye candy" as long as you know what to expect going in.

I demand eye full course meals!

So how was the film? I'm going tomorrow night with my Aunt, a former comic book artist. OK, this is technically an action figure movie. She's jumping up and down with glee. I'm...looking forward to some CGI soup with a side of LaBoeuf.