Nicholas Ungar Furs visit today

Guest OFF or Old Fur F##t

Went to Ungar Furriers today and met Kevin.

Unfortunately Shelly was taking care of her ailing mom.

Horst was telling more true tales about furs and many other things.

I also got to meet his two son and their visiting relatives from Germany. It was like old home week or the local Barber Shop and not like what you would think a Fur Shop would be like at all.

Furrier business did happen in amongst the talk and fur fondling. Ironically there was only one female in the stroe. His ? sister from Germany.

I saw a magnificent unsheared Beaver man's long coat which was large on me! It was incredibly soft and I HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!!! At first I thought it was Fisher it was so incredible. It was also very inexpensive for such a magificent fur.

I am getting my Fox Spread fixed and cleaned. I'll miss it for sure so I hope I'll have it back soon.

Getting my forest green Pendleton wool jacket lined with sheared Alaska Fur Seal iI got off eBay. It's a dark brown and Horst thought they would be a fantastic match.

I think unlike most Furriers Horst is very accomodating and not at all condesending over eBay furs or doing what other Furriers wouldn't think of taking on. I got to show and tell my Carhart Mink lined jacket which Kevin wanted to take away from me

The second item I'm having put together after the Pendelton/Seal is a tan lambskin hooded Timberland (long) jacket lined with Lynx. This is what had me thinking to go see him in the first place since I didn't want to risk taking the Lynx back and forth over the border into Canada ... even though I bought the Lynx on eBay from a Canadian seller. We selected from two Lynx coats I took with me.

Kevin was also getting his furs fixed and looking in on one of his at the store.

All together we were there for two hours and we could have stayed all day I was feeling.

Kevin and me had lunch after and talked Fur Den.

Thinaks for treating Kevin.

A good time was had by all.

OFF

OFF,

You are very welcome for the lunch. As busy as I've been with home remodeling projects and work lately today was a nice relaxing change of pace for me.

Shelley's Mom is fine but will be going to assisted living this next week.....She just needs someone close so when she topples they can help her get back up.

I liked the full length Beaver, but will stick with my Golden Island Fox and then new Crystal Fox:)

Shelley really wanted to go but will be there next time we go in. I told her about the Carhartt jacket you brought and maybe I can do one of those for myself one day........Sooooooooo many furs, and so little time:) and maybe the money might come into play........Now.............If I eat Top Ramen noodle for the next year and only drink water;)

The only problem I've found is the cost of storage for all of or coats and blankets.....Maybe the next home remodel project should be a fur vault??

The only problem I've found is the cost of storage for all of or coats and blankets.....Maybe the next home remodel project should be a fur vault??

Amen to that as I contemplate adding a 10th item to my wardrobe this season! 8)

• 2 months later...

Another visit today to pick up two furs. My Alaska Fur Seal lined Pendleton green wool jacket and the Lynx lined Timberland hooded parka.

Both are incredible and with the US to Canadian dollar thing I won't be going to Vancouver to Ace of Suedes any time soon. Horst did maybe better at the work.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days.

To answer RonGav on Mink at Ungar Furs. YES!!!!!

I saw and tried on more than one incredible Mink coat today to my utter delight

All made by his very own hands!!! Minks of all types from 2K to 10K. The differences in price were the type of Mink and the cost of the pelts .. not in workmanship.

I got a lot of looking in hoping Shelly and Kevin would show, but the didn't.

I got very personal lessons in many fine points of different furs as usual but we focused much more on the details of craftsmanship and differences in Minks and other furs. Origins and the way those factors influence the qualities of the different furs. Horst is always willing and eager to show you anything you want to see and then some.

Two Mink coats of equal beauty and quality of craftsmanship but different types of Mink. One at $3500 and the other at $9000. Both were gorgeous and super fine. Soft and silky fur. Light weight and flowing cuts. Both fit me well and I would be ecstatic with either as should any woman.

Got to visit my favorite Beaver coat. It hasn't left yet

As I was coming over to the shop from the parking lot across the street I passed by the lone 30 something fashion challenged PeTA protester.

When I say Fashion challenged .. I mean many of Portland's legendary street bums would have been more fashionably attired.

No one was paying ANY attention to him. Certainly not a very good image for the alternate of not wearing furs. Got the impression I could have gone over an blown my nose in his shirt and he wouldn't have protested. Here I was going down there loaded for Bear after Kevin had warned me. The pan handlers are more aggressive

The less expensive one was Mahogany Mink and I don't recall the other but it was a very unusual medium brown with a lot of blue cast in it. I have never seen one quite like it. It was NOT dyed.

OFF

I wasn't in a situation to negotiate. One could probably get it for less.

The custom hooded Beaver I want is no more than that.

I would say he's 'reasonable' since my jacket remodels are very reasonable. $300 to $400 for labor depending. I supply the jacket and fur.

OFF