Nicholas Ungar Furs visit today

Guest OFF or Old Fur F##t

Had to go down to Portland today to photograph a historic building I'm going to copy parts of for a new one.

After that I had map in hand to track down the elusive Ungar Furriers.

To paraphrase ..

OFF,

Great story and nice you were given a great reception. I guess in the Fur business in order to survive you have to attract more custom by being more open and accepting of business. I too have come across many 'snooty' furriers - not nice to do business with - much better the open relaxed types - may they do well from your support and perhaps attract more business.

Auzmink

OFF,

I'm so glad that you finally got a chance to visit our favorite furrier in Portland:) Mr. Grimm has been so great to work with and we can't say enough good things about him and his Son who run and own this store. They have taught Shelley and I so much in the last six years.........We were in there Saturday and he had made a Crystal Fox Coat to my specifications..........Now I just need to get it picked up for this next Winter, the only deal is Shelley wants a Lynx blanket trimmed with White Fox........I'll need to get a second job;) Maybe an apprentice to Mr. Grimm?

In closing next time you come down this way PM us and maybe we can meet at Ungar Furs?? We usually do the Saturday trip once or twice a month as we are usually not asble to get there during the week.

Anyway take care and I know Mr. Grimm will do a great job no matter what you need done.

Kevin and Shelley

Shelly and Kevin;

I might say that Mr. Horst Grimm is neither a horse nor grim.

I certainly will give you a pm. Planning on a trip in a few more weekends to bring down a few furs for remake. Maybe see you then.

I was going to post anyway on this to continue part of Horst's and my conversation over Beaver, Nutria and Muskrat. He has enormous amounts of information on these species and others.

Seems if every person in North and South America had either a Nutria or Beaver coat AND Bed Spread it might begin to put a dent in the truly catastrophic damages these two rotents have caused.

Maybe ALL cars be required to have Nutria or Beaver Seat Covers too.

Remember a Nutria and Beaver are rather large and very prolific. They weigh in from 12 ponds for a Nutria to 55 pounds for a large Beaver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat

The Unreported numbers are staggering for each and all because of two identifiable individuals.

Edmund McIlhenry [Tabasco Sauce fame] and Eva Peron.

McIlhenry brought 40 Nutria to Louisianna and Eva brought a few Beaver to Argentina.

After the Nutria escaped in a flood which New Orleans often has, they escaped and now they can be found in prolific numbers in Washington State and Canada. Also from coast to coast. They tunnel and cause Levies to collapse because of their borrowing which was part of the problem in the Katrina flooding. They don't tell us these things

Similar problems are being felt in South America where the Beaver is proliferating at a very rappid rate and causing similar damage.

In both countries their natural preditors can't readjust to the change in species habits rapidly enough to effect any population reductions and in both cases these natural preditors are or have suffered reductions due to the encroachment of man. The ultimate creator of all these problems.

The Europeans pulled a similarly stupid stunt of importing the Muskrat [Musquash for you Brits] to Europe. It is now approaching a Billon in population and wrecking havoc. They have no natural enimies and have addapted extremely well to their new home.

These things are grossly Under Reported. Whos interests are being protected anyway? Eva and old Edmund are dead.

So if we just start trapping and skinning many Nutria, Beaver and Muskrats we will go a long way to saving our envioronment despite PeTA.

Besides everyone would have furs inexpensively with lots of folks learning a new and growing industry. Making coats .. the old fashioned way.

Just start growing Hemp for paper pulp instead of trees and we're nearly there

The tree huggers would be very warm and happy then.

OFF

Keep thinking of the many things that I saw and learned at Ungar Furs.

I'm better than average build with broad shoulders and just shy of six feet. I tried on a Slivet Fox Coat that two of me could have fit in and it drug the floor. You could have made a sleeping bag for two out of it.

It was for a very big guy and he had many other men's furs in stock with ones that were special order.

As much as he would like them I don't think they were all for Kevin?

It was in the midst of our conversation over what to do with my furs and it certainly was .. INSPIRATIONAL

Funny how being around that many super furs is so inspirational

OFF

OFF,

So you liked the huge Silver Fox coat:) I've tried it on a couple of times too:) It would need to be shortened about 6 inches or so for me to be able to do it. It is about 6 inches off the floor when I wear it now........We went down there yesterday and I made the commitment to buy the men's Crystal Fox Coat:) Shelley will be getting a blanket of Bobcat and White Fox;) She says she is going to "rat me out to our financial advisor" when we meet with him in a few weeks:( Maybe one of these days we'll see you there. Take care for now.

Kevin

Kevin;

Promise soon.

I'm going through my furs and jackets for WHICH combinations to have him do first.

Definitely the Timberland hooded lambskin and Lynx.

Not sure of the others yet?

Maybe July 14 or 21?

Kevin, I am thinking of pricing a full length white mink that my wife is dying to own. It would be custom made to her design ideas, but needs to be first rate. Horst did a nice job on my simple lining replacment, but can he do the big custom job? I wonder how many true furrier craftsmen are left nowadays.

Not that I can afford it today, but I'm shopping around for the furrier first and the price second. If anyone has a go-to person for this kind of coat please let me know.

Thanks.

RonG

Rongav;

From what I saw [it was quite a bit] he can do about anything you please.

All I saw except for a few owners fixups or second hand furs was of the highest quality. Certainly why I'm headed back soon.

OFF

Did that tour a number of times except for that part south of Ventura.

Do intend to fly to San Diego. Couldn't possibly go to or through LA

Worth going all the way up to Vancouver, BC though. Even vancouver Island and Victoria.

Lot of small towns like Eureka, Ashland, OR [shakespear Festival], Eugene [bach Festival w/ Helmut Rilling], Tillamok, Astoria, Olympia and Bellingham. Of course the Oregon and Washington wines in addition to the California wines.

Been here fo 37 years now and I'm still finding new and exciting things in addition to the glorious landscape

Woops .. I went and spilled the beans. Well there aren't that many people here

OFF

RonGav,

I would highly suggest that you talk to Horst at Nicholas Ungar Furs. He has done all of our work from total remodels to making 3 or 4 complete coats for Shelley and I. I would suggest if time and money permits traveling to Portland with the wife as he will need to take measurements and talk about what you want for the finished project. The prices are more than Ebay for some of this stuff, but I'd rather pay for something I know will fit and will like. He will make sure you are happy with the finished project before you finally take it.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

OFF -- Just curious ... Ungar Furs does not appear to have a web site or any web presence beyond whitepages type references. In the course of your conversations with the owner did you ask about this? Every furrier I have dealt with has had a web site (however outdated or lame!) and I was somewhat surprised to find they did not. No biggie ... Just curious as to whether the owner is either techno phobic or perhaps has deemed the electronic marketplace inappropriate for furs.

JG;

I'll ask but after actually meeting him I'm not surprised he doesn't.

Just an old fart like me who probably would find that kind of thing annoying.

What do you think Shelley and Kevin?

I'll be going down in a few weeks after my car fix up.

OFF

I think that they only list in the white pages as they feel they have enough business from referals and regular customers. They are also only a two person operation for the most part.

I also think that they like how big the business is currently and prefer to keep it at the level that is at now. Shelley and I have talked to them numerous times about this and right now the mind forgets all the details as I've been working out of town for the last two weeks and just got home a couple of hours ago...............

Kevin

Kevin and Off are both correct.

Horst Grimm, an older gentleman and Kai (spelling?) his son operate the 2 man business. They usually have at least 6 months of wonderful fur projects on the agenda at any given season.

It's always interesting to go see them and find out what project they currently are working on. Many times, I have seen Paris originals, that I believe were purchased off the runway models backs, and shipped to Horst for a fur lining, trim, train, etc...

One of his largest projects (that Kevin and I saw) was a couch completely covered in sheared beaver, for a customer in Florida. The customer had the couch custom made and shipped to Horst in pieces. After covering each section and all the cushions, off to Florida it was shipped. Can you imagine having an entire couch covered in fur????

Anyways, their clientele is from all over the United States and Europe. They believe that word of mouth is more important, than fancy websites (and I'm sure Horst would be completely computer challenged), and if they keep advertising costs down, they are able to keep their costs down. If your looking for glitz and glamour... you won't find that in their store front either.... it's saved for their furs, workmanship and quality. Their prices are FAR more reasonable than the other furrier that was in our area, and I believe that you will find it very hard to find a furrier with more reasonable prices, who doesn't trade the price for quality.

These 2 guys are so down to earth and Horst has the most marvelous stories to tell from his lifetime. OFF, when you see him next time, get him to tell you about the winter that was so cold. his beer was exploding before he could get it into the house.

Shelley

It's so nice to see and know people like Horst.

I'm looking forward to seeing him again soon.

Maybe two weeks. Have to get car work done after my mechanic's shoulder has healed.

OFF

JG,

Most really good furriers I have met, could not turn on a computer! Many times their sons will set up sites for them, though.

They live and breath fur, and that does not leave a lot of time, ...or interest, for the Internet.

L

One of his largest projects (that Kevin and I saw) was a couch completely covered in sheared beaver

That sounds awesome! It'll be third on my post-Powerball-win shopping spree: (1) Floor length Russian sable coat; (2) King size Blackglama blanket; (3) sheared beaver sofa with matching chair and ottoman. 8)