wearing furs in public (uk) what’s been peoples reaction?

sammi

i’ve heard of people getting paint thrown them in london, anyone want to share their experiences, specifically asking people who live in the North East area.

many thanks friends 

• Like 1

We live down south and my wife always wears coney and mink. Nobody has ever batted an eyelid. I think the days of over reaction have now gone thankfully. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you keep it discreet & low key, people wont give a second glance.. if you go out looking like liberace you’ll attract attention alright. 

• Thanks 1

Wife wore her silver fox stroller in Brighton and on the train into London for a day/evening trip. Not a word or looks of negativity -but did get compliments. She just wore it like its an everyday thing. 

I think that people now have been through so much other stuff and really just want to get on with thier own things. Maybe there might be a small group of negative people, but from what we've noticed recently there seems to be a move to acceptance by most and even towards liking it. Personally think alot are over all the rubbish.

Our advice is wear it like it's normal and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quite right! Good on you both! I’m doing my bit too. It’s going to be -3 tonight in manchester, so my silver fox blanket is on the bed doing a sterling job keeping me toasty in bed as i write this. Tomorrow i’ll be out shopping wearing my seal leather bomber jacket lined in seal fur.  Only a knowledgeable fur expert would recognise it for what it is. 

• Like 1

I would like to leave my anecdote, I am from Argentina, very far from where people usually wear fur more often or the least is the idea I have, here in Argentina you can wear fur whenever you go to important places such as Puerto madero, right now we are in hot times but the nights are cooler which is ideal for wearing fur, I am a crossdresser and I love wearing my white fox fur with a beautiful matching fur hat, I also wear my long fox or my silver fox fur, too I go out as a boy wearing my beautiful fur, some people tend to look at you strangely when they see you wearing fur, but there are people who approach and usually adore your fur 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, saynotofaux said:

Quite right! Good on you both! I’m doing my bit too. It’s going to be -3 tonight in manchester, so my silver fox blanket is on the bed doing a sterling job keeping me toasty in bed as i write this. Tomorrow i’ll be out shopping wearing my seal leather bomber jacket lined in seal fur.  Only a knowledgeable fur expert would recognise it for what it is. 

Silver Fox  /  Sterling Job   -  Well done!

People have far too much to worry about nowadays without worrying whether a fur coat they see is real or not. I blame the media for jumping on this self righteous bandwagon & pandering to self appointed keepers of public morality who know better than anyone else. 
nobody gives a toss anymore, they’ve done it unto death & bored everyone stiff about it.  You see loads of parkhas with real fur hoods nowadays. No one ever mentions that 

1 hour ago, saynotofaux said:

People have far too much to worry about nowadays without worrying whether a fur coat they see is real or not. I blame the media for jumping on this self righteous bandwagon & pandering to self appointed keepers of public morality who know better than anyone else. 
nobody gives a toss anymore, they’ve done it unto death & bored everyone stiff about it.  You see loads of parkhas with real fur hoods nowadays. No one ever mentions that 

This so true... I posted about a month ago while I was walking in the park in the AM in my raccoon coat and hat... woman asks me quite angrily asks if its real, I said yes... and then I went on to pose the question if the coyote fur trim on her Canada Goose hood was also real fur...  the look on her face was priceless...  Its such a double standard.. why is it OK to wear fur trim.. but the second its an entire fur coat you are now that bad guy...

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

This so true... I posted about a month ago while I was walking in the park in the AM in my raccoon coat and hat... woman asks me quite angrily asks if its real, I said yes... and then I went on to pose the question if the coyote fur trim on her Canada Goose hood was also real fur...  the look on her face was priceless...  Its such a double standard.. why is it OK to wear fur trim.. but the second its an entire fur coat you are now that bad guy...

You ARE the bad guy as you’re the one staying perfectly warm and enjoying your mindfulness of dressing appropriate for the weather while everybody else is freezing their behinds off 😉 

My wife is more open and shared with relatives and neighbors on her ability to stay perfectly content and warm in her fox full lengths while everybody else is fighting this cold winter season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pnwhist said:

You ARE the bad guy as you’re the one staying perfectly warm and enjoying your mindfulness of dressing appropriate for the weather while everybody else is freezing their behinds off 😉 

My wife is more open and shared with relatives and neighbors on her ability to stay perfectly content and warm in her fox full lengths while everybody else is fighting this cold winter season.

Yep... -30C windchill here right now... went for a walk around the pond at the park.. stopped at the mall and went in the department store.. went in the drug store ... all wrapped in a full length raccoon coat and hat... and not one comment, no looks , nothing... no one cares anymore....  its all in your mind if you think anyone cares....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

Yep... -30C windchill here right now... went for a walk around the pond at the park.. stopped at the mall and went in the department store.. went in the drug store ... all wrapped in a full length raccoon coat and hat... and not one comment, no looks , nothing... no one cares anymore....  its all in your mind if you think anyone cares....

Just wondering if you’ve braved the cold yet with your full-length Lynx yet? …and I’ve probably told you already that I’m extremely jealous you have one in your possession 🙂

As I was walking on the snowy sidewalk last night on my way to a theatre performance, deeply wrapped in my full-length raccoon coat as it was in the teens F°, a horn honks and two people in a Jeep were giving me a thumbs up. Reactions are generally very positive. I was warm and happy with that broad shawl collar keeping my ears covered from the chill. And the play was good, too.

• Like 3

You’ll be absolutely fine wearing fur in London. Although there’s definitely better areas to wear it, My wife regularly travels in and wears large fox fur hoods/ collars and when appropriate fox fur jacket. I am yet to see a full length fur yet this year. Here’s hoping the cold weather brings more of them out. 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:13 AM, pnwhist said:

Just wondering if you’ve braved the cold yet with your full-length Lynx yet? …and I’ve probably told you already that I’m extremely jealous you have one in your possession 🙂

I havent yet... I still havent gone out in my massive silver fox either.. too many coats..not enough time LOL

Edited by WinnipegFur

1 minute ago, WinnipegFur said:

I havent yet... I still havent gone out in my massive silver fox either.. too many coats..not enough time LOL

Oh my goodness… full-length Lynx… full-length Silver Fox..the only way you could top that for me is if your said you have a stroller length Sable. My goodness, you must be in heaven…

12 hours ago, pnwhist said:

Oh my goodness… full-length Lynx… full-length Silver Fox..the only way you could top that for me is if your said you have a stroller length Sable. My goodness, you must be in heaven…

No sable... my favorite coat used to be a full length 80s power red fox... it was a good 54 inches long, big puffy collar and cuffs... stupid me used to wear it to the park and go cross country ski (not in the coat) I used it afterwards for the warmth and the drive home..unfortunately over the years of doing this I guess the sweat on my back from skiing worked its way into the pelts and the rear of the coat is a wreck.. from the front its an amazing coat.. Ive mostly been on the raccoon train this winter. probably because of the massive collar it has..once the collar is up its literally to the top of my head and the sides are up my cheek bones...

On a nice find note... I searched facebook market for furs today.. I local shop that sells alot of pelts advertised a bunch of vintage fur coats and vests for sale! Saw some pics... looks like a few nice coats in there, in particular I see what looks like a full length black fox, so Im going down tomorrow when it opens to check things out and hopefully leave with a couple of coats... looks like a lynx and silver fox and a long hair beaver as well... Im going to have trouble not walking out with 5 coats tomorrow depending on the prices...

• Like 1

Looking further at the video and pictures.. looks like theres a lynx vest as well...

So Ive got my eye on at least 5 furs they have listed.. lynx vest, lynx coat, black fox coat, silver fox coat, and beaver jacket.. it looks like there is a coyote coat smashed in between the beaver and silver fox...

I know these coats have some age to them, so I hope they arent asking ridiculous prices for them.... hoping I can leave with a couple....

1 hour ago, WinnipegFur said:

Looking further at the video and pictures.. looks like theres a lynx vest as well...

So Ive got my eye on at least 5 furs they have listed.. lynx vest, lynx coat, black fox coat, silver fox coat, and beaver jacket.. it looks like there is a coyote coat smashed in between the beaver and silver fox...

I know these coats have some age to them, so I hope they arent asking ridiculous prices for them.... hoping I can leave with a couple....

Let us know what comes out these findings! (And perhaps create a separate thread so this one can get back on topic hehe) I’m curious as to your findings AND even if you don’t walk away with the Lynx coat…please take a picture! 🙂

1 hour ago, WinnipegFur said:

Is it any of these pics part of what you’re seeking? 🙂 Checked out the FB marketplace. My goodness your area has a lot of furs to get de-“previously loved” on.

1BCE656F-A3B4-42AC-AC31-74EAB52474CA.jpeg

68AC9FD2-B65A-4B43-A2A7-653B22BE8248.jpeg

Yes , the first image she imported alot of furs from Europe and resells them... she is super nice and friendly... ive gone over and tried stuff on all afternoon... I just didnt really find anything I wanted unfortunately... there were alot of nice coats, but I was like I already have a silver fox... She wasnt selling any of them and stopped bringing them in...

The 2nd image you posted is where I went this morning.. -17C out, -29 windchill.. so wore my Timberwolf parka... the gentleman that owns the place was very nice... complimented me on my parka... I asked him how much the coats were, he said he didnt really know much about fur coats, but I could look around all I wanted... the prices were WAY too steep in my opinion.. there were a few coats I wanted really bad... the furs came from a furrier that closed 15 years ago... I remember going into that furrier and seeing an awesome fisher fur coat... today there it was... priced still at $5500... a beatiful size 14-16 full length black fox which I wanted was still going for $2000... and an incredible mens beaver jacket with a big collar was also still $2000... I honestly wasn't expecting those prices for coats that are 15+ years old... so unfortunately I walked out empty and instead of going for a walk in a nice new black fox coat, I went for a quick walk in my wolf...

It looks like my area has alot of furs, but honestly, Im the only one that I think wears them! LOL  In the 80s and early 90s here, it was rare not to see fur coats everywhere everyday... Ive only seen a handful of vintage mink coats this year even with it being so cold lately...

One of the few furs ive never owned is fisher. It does make a good looking mens coat. What else have i never owned? Sable, too expensive. Even second hand. Though i was tempted with a blond sable last year, it was very old fashioned but could be made into a nice blanket. 
fisher, not often seen in uk. 
chinchilla. 
Many more i can’t think of just now. 
The dark black minks are my favourite, the blacker and shinier the better! 

On 1/17/2024 at 5:24 AM, pnwhist said:

I don’t live in the UK but I get into fights like this with my sister every single time I step out in my furs. She’s not so much anti fur as she is pro synthetic. She truly believes that manmade technology can produce better and warmer coats that can deal with these increasingly intense climates. I usually tell her that’s not true, because if that were the case, people still wouldn’t need to dress in layers just to stay warm, or die of hypothermia and frostbite if these materials could truly block the cold with 100% efficiency.

I also remind her that the fur bearing animals that we harvest today are direct descendants of the same animals or at least the forebears of these species that were capable of surviving the likes of the last Ice Age roughly 2 million years ago. And our ancestors figured out that if they wear these pelts in the winter then they would be able to survive as well. If they hadn’t, human beings would have most likely died off.

Fur is literally evolved to be as warm as it is because it is designed to protect mammals from the intense cold. There is no other substance like it on earth and no synthetic will ever be able to match real furs level of protection. 

Edited by Panther10

1 hour ago, saynotofaux said:

One of the few furs ive never owned is fisher. It does make a good looking mens coat. What else have i never owned? Sable, too expensive. Even second hand. Though i was tempted with a blond sable last year, it was very old fashioned but could be made into a nice blanket. 
fisher, not often seen in uk. 
chinchilla. 
Many more i can’t think of just now. 
The dark black minks are my favourite, the blacker and shinier the better! 

Yep.. it is a beautiful coat.. I remember going in the fur store that was closing 15 years ago and was immediately drawn to that fisher coat... I went in that store wearing my wolf parka.. and today, wolf parka again and come across the fisher coat! haha $5500 though for a 15 year old coat... Im not sure how it was stored either... I really like the mens beaver jacket , but once again $2000 15 years old.. dunno if the pelts are drying out etc etc.. I know from buying used coats , its a crap shoot,  some look great on the outside and then you wear them out for a season and you start getting the splits in the pelts and sometimes its not repairable, or they fix one, and another one comes.. I know Ive had my wolf in a few times for splits forming.. Im almost scared to wear it sometimes for fear of it getting a split again....

8 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

The 2nd image you posted is where I went this morning.. -17C out, -29 windchill.. so wore my Timberwolf parka... the gentleman that owns the place was very nice... complimented me on my parka... I asked him how much the coats were, he said he didnt really know much about fur coats, but I could look around all I wanted... the prices were WAY too steep in my opinion.. there were a few coats I wanted really bad... the furs came from a furrier that closed 15 years ago... I remember going into that furrier and seeing an awesome fisher fur coat... today there it was... priced still at $5500... a beatiful size 14-16 full length black fox which I wanted was still going for $2000... and an incredible mens beaver jacket with a big collar was also still $2000... I honestly wasn't expecting those prices for coats that are 15+ years old... so unfortunately I walked out empty and instead of going for a walk in a nice new black fox coat, I went for a quick walk in my wolf...

It looks like my area has alot of furs, but honestly, Im the only one that I think wears them! LOL  In the 80s and early 90s here, it was rare not to see fur coats everywhere everyday... Ive only seen a handful of vintage mink coats this year even with it being so cold lately...

I guess my follow-up question would be - next time if you circle back to the shop and just be totally upfront with the storekeeper and state that these were the same prices of the coats 15 years ago, and they do depreciate and would they accept a fare offer? If they see that you have expertise and know how much items of similar quality are going for, perhaps they will cut you a deal. 

I guess throwing out an offer, even a lowball offer and CASH - there’s a small chance even if it’s a small chance. Walking out the store with zero offer gives you zero chance. Do you think he would have considered $700 for that Black Fox?