13 days & counting......

Guest furelli

A short History lesson first........

English cricket's finest summer

It is easy to say it with hindsight, but even as the 2005 Ashes were being contested, everyone involved was aware they were part of one of the greatest series ever.

Perhaps it had to do with the history of the rivalry between England and Australia, dating back purely in cricketing terms to 1887.

Maybe it was because England had not beaten their great rivals in a Test series since 1987, the weight of expectation growing as time wore on.

Certainly it had a lot to do with the fact that the two best teams in the world - in English conditions at least - were going head-to-head.

Even without that off-field baggage, a series that had more twists and turns than the route from the Lord's dressing-room to the hallowed turf would have carried the attention of a nation.

Appropriately the Test series began at Lord's, where England's bowlers shocked Australia with their pace and hostility.

The home of cricket turned into a coliseum as Steve Harmison hit three batsmen on the head in the first morning on his way to a five-wicket haul.

Aussie skipper Ricky Ponting refused stitches after his cheek was split open, and wore the resulting scare like a badge of honour throughout the series.

Veteran McGrath hit back in the best way possible, though, with a wonderful display of accurate seam bowling, taking his 500th career wicket in the process.

Along with Shane Warne, he ran through the English order on the fourth morning and it looked like business as usual for the Australian juggernaut.

However, England players accused of being a "bunch of drips" by just one of the newspaper headlines that week, proved to be anything but.

The second Test at Edgbaston was described as one of the best ever, and the comparisons with the infamous "Botham's Ashes" of 1981 started here.

McGrath was ruled out after a freak training accident when he trod on a ball, and Ponting's decision to put England in to bat first was exposed mercilessly.

Move over Botham

The home side could still have capitulated, though, were it not for Andrew Flintoff's heroic second innings batting as he hit four sixes in adding 81 for the last three wickets.

Australia were set a ground record 282 to win, but had no intention of capitulating and it took a tireless display from Flintoff and Harmison to squeak a two-run victory.

Flintoff's conversation with Brett Lee after the tailender's defiant and almost successful unbeaten 43 came to define the mutual respect that pervaded the series.

On to Old Trafford, where 19,000 people were turned away on the final day, denied the chance to see England come a single wicket short of victory.

Again Australia's lower order bailed them out, with Warne and Lee fighting a valiant rearguard action.

I can't remember celebrating a draw before in my career

Justin Langer Test diary

Amazingly there had not been a single century until the third Test of the series, but here there were two of the highest class, from rival captains Ponting and Michael Vaughan.

Amid the excitement, it was almost possible to miss Warne becoming the first bowler ever to pass the mark of 600 Test wickets.

Now cracks were beginning to show in the once-impregnable Australian armoury.

The plans laid by Vaughan and coach Duncan Fletcher to combat their rivals' attacking batsmen were paying bigger dividends than they could ever have expected.

Even so, England came within three wickets of losing the entire series on a surreal Sunday afternoon at Trent Bridge as Warne worked his magic.

England dare to dream

After a match in which the momentum had swung this way and that with exhausting regularity, England set about chasing a nominal 129 for victory.

Enter Warne, looking like he could win the series single-handed, dismissing Marcus Trescothick first ball and Vaughan with his seventh.

When Geraint Jones was the seventh wicket down with 13 runs still needed, the tension was at its height.

But Ashley Giles and Matthew Hoggard, two uniquely English characters, got across the winning line and guaranteed folk hero status.

The country was at fever pitch, and England were certainly in the ascendancy going into the final match at The Oval.

Even though two days were ruined by rain and bad light, the series remained in the balance as England sought a draw and Australia pushed for a win to tie the series and retain the Ashes urn.

Day the Aussies were beaten

Kevin Pietersen had demonstrated his attacking intent on his Test debut eight weeks previously but his most high profile contribution to the series since then had been six dropped catches.

Now was his turn to shine as he survived a crucial drop by Warne on 15 and took the attack to Australia, belting seven sixes.

Australian legend Richie Benaud's attempt to sign off from the commentary booth for the last time in England in low-key fashion was ruined as Pietersen was out off his final syllable.

By then, though, the urn was safely in England's hands, the only anti-climactic part of the series being the moment when bad light ended the game early.

Flintoff, who emerged bleary-eyed from the team hotel for an open top bus parade to Trafalgar Square, will be remembered as England's larger-than-life hero.

But every one of the 12 players who celebrated in front of 25,000 on the streets of London played a part in a series which live on in the memory forever.

C'MON ENGLAND!!!!!!

HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Where to start..... oh yeah.... the "yawn"

"World Series" Baseball...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *YAWN*

ANYTHING that the yanks include "World" as the principle descriptive: *BIGGER YAWN* (and they wonder why.......................

Now then...... Nice summation Furelli. Just remember that there will be no English cricket balls lying around to hinder our efforts this year, or rather to trip up Pidgeon.

Oh, and Stuey MacGill WILL be used more often this summer than last. NOW let's see how good you lot go with the WORLD'S TWO BEST LEG SPINNERS having a go at your pitiful batsmen.

Oh, and FLinFL, in this case "WORLD" is undeniably being used in and as the correct descriptive. Even the Poms have to acknowledge that one.

Yeah... Phil Jacques is feeling quite safe and secure.

AVE V Poms (so far) 106

Yeppers... False sense of security... cause he ain't in the Test Team.

Pietersen, who has been singled out as having a weakness against short bowling, survived a barrage from the Test opening attack of Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee to make an aggressive unbeaten 80.

"The boys did fantastically against possibly four of the bowlers we could face in the Ashes," Pietersen told BBC Sport.

Back on track!!!

Yer "Dad's army" are gonna get battered by KP & freddy this Winter/Summer if they can keep this going, only draw back so far is we've got a "Dodgy Keeper" with geraint as No.1 behind the stumps which will kill yer at this level!!!

Well, the Poms can bat on a flat wicket.... and Warnie can extract spin on a flat track... but can the Poms bat against Warnie on a flat track??

Brisbane will have more life in it than Sydney or Canberra..... and Warnie can also spin 'em there..... sooooooooo a bouncer at the SCG is a flat bat shot..... At the Gabba, it's a threat to life and limb.

Bring it on!!

Reading this thread makes me feel like I'm vacationing in a foreign land or I've just managed to stumble into a bar on the other side of town.

I understand a few words here and there I think I'm getting the jist of what is being said and then someone goes and say something that makes my head swim and my eyes cross.

On the plus side, I can use what's been said to make it seem like I know something about Cricket the next time one of my Cricket watching friends tries to drag me into a conversation about it.

You know who you are, if you read this. Be prepared!

2006-11-17 11:58:16 Over 12.6: Hoggard to Ferguson, OUT! Gone!! Fuller delivery, Ferguson plays, it cuts back in and wraps him on the front pad, players appeal as umpire Davis simultaneously raises his finger

2006-11-17 11:55:24 Over 12.5: Hoggard to Cosgrove, OUT! Horrible shot. Hoggard digs it in short and way down leg, Cossie follows the ball with his, playing no shot, and gets a thin glove to the keeper.

2006-11-17 11:45:21 Over 10.1: Hoggard to Harris, OUT! Two wickets in two balls for the visitors! Harris goes to cut, but gets a thick edge and Collingwood does the rest at third slip

2006-11-17 11:41:28 Over 9.6: Anderson to Elliott, OUT! Short, Elliott goes to hook but gets an edge through to keeper Jones

31/4 'av some of that!!!!

Ha Ha

So are you for the "Poms" or the "Cons" then Furman?

Er...*eyes cross* I'm the...uh...guy hiding in the bathroom listening in with his mouth shut.

Stumps: Day One.

Australia 3 for 346 Ricky Ponting and Mr Cricket both not out with the young'un and Gillie to come.... and that master blaster of a tail ender, Pidgeon.....

Australia 1 England...... well Zero, I guess.

Hmmmmm just thinking... England will be chasing on day 6 wicket (day five, but today it played like a second day pitch.....

1st ball to 2nd slip said it all for me Mr B plus leaving Monty out, maybe the only bowler whose been perfoming over the past 12 months with the ball, so what if he can't bat or field...... It's only Day 1 & there's plenty of hope yet, don't forget we let you go one up ooop North last time out!!!!

Jus letting you regain your superiority complex that's all

Quote of the Test Match so far:

Richie Benaud to Michael Slater: " Is he a happy dresser or a cross dresser?"

(The comment was referring to Mr Swathe, Ian Healey.)

JUS HOW CAN ENGLAND BE EXPECTED TO WIN WITHOUT THEIR BARMY ARMY!!!!

Barmy Army threaten Ashes boycott over Aussie fun police

Fri 24 Nov, 11:38 AM

BRISBANE, Australia (AFP) - England's Barmy Army have threatened to boycott the rest of the Ashes series after accusing Australia's "fun police" of ruining the atmosphere at the first Test in Brisbane.

The English support group complained they were being treated like children by overzealous security guards at Brisbane's Gabba and were fuming after their trumpeter was thrown out of the ground Thursday for playing his instrument.

Barmy Army founder Paul Burnham described the ejection as "surreal" and accused Cricket Australia of trying to curb England's fans as part of their campaign to win back the Ashes.

"It seems to me that Cricket Australia just want to win, full stop," Burnham told Australian Associated Press.

"They believe the Barmy Army will help England win so it just seems everything is geared to try and make sure there is no fun in the game.

"We just want to come over and have a good time ... not to be treated like school children."

Burnham said many England fans were so disillusioned with their treatment at the Gabba that they were boycotting the ground and watching the game at their hotels.

He said the Barmy Army would consider cancelling a wide range of activities planned around the Ashes series if the heavy-handed treatment continued at other Test venues.

"We are waiting to see how it develops before giving advice to people coming over (from England) for the Sydney and Melbourne Tests," he said.

Cricket Australia has adopted a zero-tolerance approach to crowd antics after South African players were subjected to racist taunts by Australian fans earlier this year.

More than 40 fans were ejected from the Gabba during the opening day of the Ashes Thursday.

They included including Barmy Army trumpeter Bill Cooper, whose brass horn is deemed a banned item under Gabba regulations alongside weapons, guns and knives.

Even Australian fans, many of whom would normally dismiss the English complaints as yet more pommie whingeing, have been taken aback by the lack of atmosphere at the Gabba.

"It's been very quiet, the Barmy Army were far noisier last time they were here," Brisbane local Margaret McVey told AFP.

Australia's dominance on the pitch may have subdued the Barmy Army in any case, but supporter Craig Gill said the English fans had a proud tradition of singing loudest when their team was at its worst.

He blamed Cricket Australia's ticket allocation, which favoured home fans and dispersed England supporters throughout the Gabba, meaning there was no focal bloc of fans to generate chants and songs.

Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young denied the tournament hosts were being killjoys and said the Barmy Army was welcome at matches because it brought colour and vibrancy to the stands, as well as generating revenue.

He said the clampdown was not aimed at the Barmy Army but at "a small minority of idiots who have been ruining people's day out at the cricket for some time now".

"We make no apology for doing that," he told AFP.

"By all means come along, have a few beers and be boisterous but don't cross the line. We will not tolerate people who are just coming to make a nuisance of themselves by indulging in drunken behaviour, profane language or racist abuse."

Young said Cricket Australia would meet Barmy Army chiefs to discuss their concerns.

On the troublesome trumpeter, Young said musical instruments had been banned at the Gabba for 12 years and Cooper was warned not to play before he entered the ground.

"People don't want to turn up to the cricket to have a trumpeter alongside them blasting their eardrums all day long," he said.

The Gabba has beefed up security, with 130 police officers and more than 300 security guards and ushers on duty to control the crowd.

Authorities are also monitoring the stands with 85 security cameras, almost double the number installed across Brisbane's entire central business district.

Crowd members are being urged to "dob in a yob" (inform on a lout) by sending mobile phone text messages to stadium security.

Activities such as the "Mexican wave" and bouncing beach balls through the crowd during quiet periods of play are also prohibited.

Shocking, jus shocking :roll:

Warnie and Pidg ko'd??? I think not. Adelaide is like Bass Strait: Flat one minute, flippin' dangerous the next. Should we avoid the follow-on, and thereby necessitate you lot batting again.... it could be very interesting given the amount of time you lot wasted in the first innings.

TIME WE WASTED!!!!!

At least our lot aren;t afraid to bowl at the stumps!!!! How many Wides did Warne toss down at KP????

Still it's all bout the 1st hour on day 4, Gillie to throw his wicket away then clark'll get knocked over & it's into the tail....... worth staying up for I think

Didn't see the umps rule on any wides when I was watchin'. And Gillie is due... and Pup is improving with age.... and warnie, bing and Clarkie all managed to swing the bat just right up in Brissie.....hm might have to call in sick in the.... later today *grin*

Warnie: 4 - 49; Pidgeon 2- 15; Pup 120+ AND 21 NO; Mr cricket 61 NO.

KP bowled round his legs... a couple of dodgy lbw's..... and a team that declares at 6-551 gets beaten by 6 wickets on the final day when all odds favoured a draw or possibly a pommie win.

9 Days to recover before Perth.... and then Melbourne and Sydney.... and we were actually writing off Warnie and Pidg.... However, Mr martin may be in trouble.