Problem with inactive users

Hindus

What you say is true in many organizations I belong.

I have belonged to several organizations that are in my community. We have found that about 20% of the members are active. Over time this group did change, but seldom did the % change.

I know in business there is a well known 80/20 rule. 80% of your business will come from 20% of your clients. problem is you never know which 20% since it is constantly changing.

Linda

Hindus, I post quite regularly.

I've just started to look through the polish site; it is amazing. I love your post of the stoles; white fox stoles are my favourites, especially from the 1930s and 1940s.

Hi, Hindus.

Did you receive my pm?

Your post took me awhile to change to links instead of posts.

If it had been spam we would have moved it to spam.

As I said in your pm, this is a site rule under our code of conduct. We do not allow images to be posted by members, just links.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Linda

I just saw your collection of fox fur stoles. I am a great lover of fox stoles myself, it is a real tribute to the animal who gave his live for it. Love it very much.

Love,

Francoise.

There is only one change you should make and that is change the signature link to a clickable image. We can give you a bit of time to do that. You might check our Fur Den for Dummies. I believe there is a tutorial there, if you need it.

I know, we don't allow images in the post and we require them in the signature. It has to do with our bandwidth concerns that we have not resolved yet. And, we have to write procedures. With all of our changes, this has just not been the top priority.

Here is the rule from the Code Of Conduct:

Members may setup a signature in their profile that will be included in their posts. Signatures can include an image that is no more than 100 pixels tall and no more than 35KB in size, and there must be fur in the image. Links are prohibited in signatures, except that if an image is included in the signature, the image can be setup as a clickable link to the member's website.

We would only have a problem with it if it links to paysites or sites with XXX pictures or banners.

Hope that helps!

Linda

Hindus, as Linda said, as long as you are not continually posting links to your site and as long as there is no form of "Pay" on it, you can post a link here. We do not allow you to continually post links to it. We do allow you to post a link now and then. Just something we like to do.

White Fox

Ok, so I do not post onec again the link to the gallery of women in fox stoles on Polish forum, but I woud like to inform you that I updated it - I put another 134 pics on it

Jeni Love - some of users of The Fur Den forum are Polish nationality - they also are users of Polish Fur forum.

But if I put some informations from Polish forum here I always try to translate it in posts (in case galleries is is not necessery

Well i don't realy post alot, and i don't realy intend to do it. But let me speak for all the not-posting members, we all appreciate your work for posting all those wonderfull links. If you won't get too many reply's on a link you posted, look at the number of how many times the tread is looked at, i think that's a better indication of how much a thread is appreciated Just some thoughts off me

If you won't get too many reply's on a link you posted, look at the number of how many times the tread is looked at, i think that's a better indication of how much a thread is appreciated

This is very true.

I do admit to joining certain forums just to get the pictures, but I think for the majority of users here, they are still embarrassed to discuss their feelings.

Maybe we should have an off topic section for general discussions. That way we could entice the more timid to talk about other things and them make them more comfortable to talk about fur.

I like to discuss video games, so I might post more often if we could discuss that as well.

Are you kidding me? lol

http://thefurden.com/bbden/viewforum.php?f=2

We've had an off-topic forum since day 1 here.. A vert active one too I might add

The thing is that I didn't notice until you pointed it out. The title of the section doesn't indicate in any way that is what it is for, and the phrase "off topic" is buried in the description.

And there are only five pages, while the fur den section has seventeen, so it isn't attracting the inactive users.

Positive as always, aren't we?

Just to amuse your rather annoying negativeness though;

It changed name to "Ye Olde Denne Pub" from "Off-Topic" not too long ago. You have been the first to complain about it. Others love it. (WOW, Shocker there, huh?!)

Many of the posts have several pages of replies. Some up to 10 thread-pages. Split these into smaller threads and I'm sure you get a few extra forum-pages

If you read through the posts you will see that there have been many people who have registered just to be able to participate in the off-topic discussion. Among these are the Sci-Fi thread, and the World Cup thread to name a couple.

They did not have any trouble finding it at all.

Have nice day LordtheWhatWho

Positive as always, aren't we?

Just to amuse your rather annoying negativeness though;

It changed name to "Ye Olde Denne Pub" from "Off-Topic" not too long ago. You have been the first to complain about it. Others love it. (WOW, Shocker there, huh?!)

Many of the posts have several pages of replies. Some up to 10 thread-pages. Split these into smaller threads and I'm sure you get a few extra forum-pages

If you read through the posts you will see that there have been many people who have registered just to be able to participate in the off-topic discussion. Among these are the Sci-Fi thread, and the World Cup thread to name a couple.

They did not have any trouble finding it at all.

Have nice day LordtheWhatWho

Did I write that few users found it? I did not. I wrote that the inactive users aren't taking part in it. That's a big difference.

This is why everyone (both new members and those of us who've been around awhile) needs to explore the site... LTNK found the eBay and album-related photos and discussion forums but did not come across our non-fur discussion board (formerly known as Off Topic, now known as Ye Olde Denne Pub), even though it was located right under the Album-Related Photos board!

Expand your horizons folks - there's a lot out here...

FLinFL

(PS - I'm not saying you have to read every forum, every day, just take a look around at everything this site has to offer!)

That is exactly right FL. This is a site where you cannot just come to one forum and look at it. You MUST explore all forums if you are going to have the whole benefit of the site. And of course not everyone will be interested in "Off Topic". The moment someone enters "The Pub" they will realize what it is if they don't from the description. And, as described, we hope they will create a pub area atmosphere just like pubs in so many countries have where active conversations are wanted and deep arguements are not.

Lord you mention that inactive members are not using The Pub. Well, think of it this way. Inactive members are not using the Den Forum either.

Folks you need to explore around. For instance, did you know you can make this site look so totally different that you would not even recognize it? Do you find the look of it not to your liking? Then change it. I would venture to say that most of you did not know you can do that using FAQ in maybe 5 minutes the first time including reading instructions. And maybe 30 seconds each time thereafter. Just look under "Styles".

Also, there is another huge change here on the way. It involves a whole new area of this site! Many of you will love it. That is all I am going to say. Just realize if you do not explore around and find the different forums you will then not find an area that will on it's own be bigger than most other fur sites when folks begin to use it.

To get inactive members to come in we must provide them with a great site. And when this site is completed we will have one like none other. Then, we must convince them that we are just like them. After all of that we have to just give them time. Some will come in and post. Others won't. we certainly hope to see more of you folks out there though.

White Fox

Hi Hindus and All!

This is pretty much in response about those members that either don't post or appear to be inactive on this forum.

In relation to myself, at times I am inactive on this forum too (not always though.. so I guess that makes me a 'sometimer member'). I realize that I don't post as often as I should. I think that others are like this too (at various times) and although they want to participate more, I think this can be attributed to what I term them as having "the spectator syndrome".

And as Linda (Refur) pointed out, there will always be a small percentage of people who wind up carrying most of the weight anyway. Just like in elections for political office and such. A small percentage of people elect the public servants that control the masses. In the city that I live in (which used to be just a part of the county), 9,100 people elected to form a new city and its officials, in which there is over a 95,000 population count. Only 8,900 people voted against having the city formed. The previous four times we voted the new city measure down. As almost everyone didn't want the added bureaucracy then.

But the last time the measure was on the ballot, most of those who voted no, kept silent and didn't bother to vote at all. What usually is needed to bring folks out into the open, is a subject that manages to touch a nerve or jogs them into action. It depends on how strong a subject matter is and how passionate they are about it, that affects them. All members here may love fur, but perhaps most just aren't that vocally passionate about it. As for the people who kept silent and didn't vote no on the new city measure, now realize they should have. Because they are pretty darn vocal about the increase in taxes they get to pay from now on. ...Imagine that!

At any rate, I often sit back in the wings and just muse over the forum. Then when the mood strikes me, I tend to respond. I also realize that for me, I should be starting new threads of my own, instead of just responding to everyone elses subjects. Perhaps if I and a few others did that, more inactive members that often don't or won't respond, may feel compelled to join in the fun and participate.

I suppose if we all just took a minute or two to jot down a line or three about something, sooner or late more members would be involve themselves more frequently. Only time will tell. I must applaud those members and moderators who consistently offer continous and wonderful subject matter for the rest of the members who prefer to keep sidelined, for they are at the heart of what keeps this forum moving forward.

To get the rest of the membership motivated though, obviously is tougher than it looks (..and irregardless of how nice the site is or what it has to offer). Given enough time though and as more new members join the forum down the road, there will undoubtedly be more people involved anway.

-Just my two cents worth and now I don't feel so inactive myself now!

Furry regards, -ROBINFUR

This post is to confirm that I am far from being "inactive" here, just that I'm dealing with some non-related issues that have been taking up a whole lot of my time these days...wait...doesn't that mean that I AM "inactive"???

More info to follow in the vaunted "Off-Topic" forum

--S

As the saying goes, you can lead a person to a sable coat, but you can't make 'em wear it!!!

...and Scott, don't sweat it. No one is suggesting that you make 5, 10 or 20 postings a day. Enjoy the site on your own terms. We're all here because we love fur and want to share that love with like-minded people!

FLinFL

You know, I was just rereading this thread title. "Problem with inactive users". I do realize why Hindus began it this way, but the way this thread has changed directions somewhat that title is now misleading.

I know that there are a lot of users out there who are hesitant or even scared to post here for various reasons. Yet they love to read the posts. You know, I've no problem with that. I do realize that they are missing out on so much, and I do wish that they would post. However, on the other hand, I am sure those people are getting at least a fraction of what they would get if they post from the forum or they would not be reading it.

In short, we should not consider them as a problem. As Rob says, each member is free to decide when and if they want to post. And, as my fellow mod FL says, it is not a competition here on how many messages to post. We love to hear from everyone no matter how little or how often that you take part.

White Fox

It could also boil down to something like one's definition of just what is inactive.

If they have joined just to see the Gallery and possible forthcoming attractions, does this make them inactive? Quite recently we have had a member come out of thesalon and make a first post after a while of just popping in and reading.

As has been mentioned above, we are not just about furs, but we also have the Pub where other things can be discussed. Sure, fur is the fibre that holds us together, but if someone makes their first post in the Pub or somewhere else for that matter, WELCOME.

By at least registering, the member has shown some intent towards maybe making a future contribution. Besides, not everyone is outgoing. Of course there are those who register and then go away and forget all about us.... or give the wrong email addy. **it happens. And those who do so are "eliminated" over time.

So guests, and also newbies..... come along and say something. We don't expect a treatise on the way fur has affected or infected your life.

Register and just say g'day. You may be surprised at just how freeing that action makes you feel. Oh and Ladies?? .... if any male member (hmmmmmmmmmm is the pun intended?? I'll leave that to you) gets too personal/pushy/inquisitive, let the Mods/Admins now, and we promise to act accordingly. No, that doesn't mean immediate castration..... there are other ways and means of inflicting corrective actions WEG