Did I bag myself a sable? Any advice welcome.

sydcat

Hi All,

I'm back again!

I  bought this coat today at an antique shop, and it does look 1950s-ish on the lining.

It was labelled as mink, but feels quite silky and soft.

I've been trying my best to identify on google, but haven't come up with anything conclusive.

I'm really hoping it might be sable, but have never seen a sable coat in real life, so have no clue!

Any advice much appreciated xx

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500 (4).jpg

s-l500 (3).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

• Like 2

Very beautiful! Great find. Look I'm quite experienced but I find it difficult to answer with certainty. It looks really sable to me, apart from the collar (slightly worn) the rest of the coat is splendid

• Like 1

I don't know If you havent bought the fur or not, but do, bc mink is a sought after fur to own...

I've been wanting one my self..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul2809 said:

I don't know If you havent bought the fur or not, but do, bc mink is a sought after fur to own...

Try to buy one second handed, you can do great business

On 2/6/2023 at 9:55 PM, LeComte said:

Mink imo. Hairs are too short for sable. And it's a classic technique, of which I don't know the english term ("auslassen" in german, see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auslassen_(Kürschnerei) . And mink can be pretty soft.

Nice coat.

Thank so much for this link - very good information. I've seen this technique a lot in coats, but never really thought about the process! Yes, I'm thinking mink, too, now on this coat. 

17 hours ago, paul2809 said:

It is a beauty - very well styled. I was thrilled to find it. I do love a rummage in antique and junk shops ... you never know what you'll find. eBay is a great place for buying, too, but prices can run high!

• Like 1