Questions about fur blankets

bigfur1

I am looking into grtting a real fur blanket and would like some advise. I would like full skin mink or possibly fox, but not blue fox. I even thought about finding a sable on Ebay and making it into a throw. Has anyone bought a coat or coats and made them into a blanket or throw? I guess

a coat with "let-out" skins would not work due to the tapper? Can anyone recommend a dealer in the U.S.?

Look in the LINKS at Glacier Wear. They make some of the finest full pelt Fur Spreads going.

I got a very nice pieced Blue Fox Fox from Furcorner on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Furcorner

Also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Fox-blanket-throw-furblanket-bedspread-fur_W0QQitemZ220003027512QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60178QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm having a local woman make a Coyote spread for me now and Glaciae is my next purchase. Probably Lynx.

I'm sure there are others.

OFF

I do know that Tsarevich has given members info on making items like this from used coats. You might try to give them an email. I am sure I spelled that right. A search will find them, or if you ask, I can do the search for you.

J

Thanks to all for your advise. I was also thinking of buying fur "plates" and having them worked into a throw/blanket, but these tend to be pieced together and of lesser quality. With all the Rex-Rabbit out now and the

lower cost I would think someone would offer these items. You would think they could fill a market between faux and high end ?

if you are looking for plates of fur i have bought a few from oliverfurs on ebay which are lovely. they are of lesser quality, pieces that are left over, but if you are looking for something a bit cheaper they will do fine. also, premier furs and leathers, another ebay seller is offering plates, although i have as yet only bought full fox pelts, they are great quality and very reasonable.

Fur Plates vs full pelts is mostly an economic issue.

There is little issue over quality. The best fake is still lesser quality than a plate or even a Rabbit or sheared Lamb spread.

Size is important for a spread and it takes two plate widths to make the width. This brings up the cost and when I did my purchase it was as cheap to get a pieced Fox spread ready made [actually made to order] from Furcorner at the time than two plates from the several sources. I considered 72 to 76 inches wide by 80 plus inches long as a minimum. The one I got is 80x90 inches.

Glacier and I'm sure Tsarevich Furs or Lars Paustian will make full pelts to order in any size and from any fur .. for a price.

The backing is important and I had Furcorner put a wool flannel backing rather than the usual satin backing and I'm very glad I did. Lars is correct in this choice. My Pieced Fox and wool flannel spread is as light and more comfortable than the thick Down filled cotton comforter it replaced.

What is remarkable about a full pelt fur spread is it is less expensive than an equivallent coat and far more useful for a much longer time.With cool nights in the upper left hand corner I get to enjoy it almost year round. My best fur investment to date and a full pelt spread will be ready for the fall.

OFF

a full pelt spread is still a goal of mine... one day. i agree they are a great investment, particularly for a prop, since i only buy furs i know i can shoot with.

I bought 2 lovely silver fox coats through e-bay. I had a furrier in melbourne convert them to a large bedspread and 2 pillows - WINTER BLISS.....

Do it.

Auzmink.

My new brown mink blanket of 2m20 x 2m20 cost me EURO 7000.-- last winter in Milan, Mec and Gregory's. It's a good adress and very good quality of fur.

OK, here is the deal. You can buy fur plates in sable or mink, or fox or rabbit or whatever (wholesale sable plates run around 1500 US for about a 4 x 5' plate) these are made from areas of the skins that furriers do not use for coats, mainly the arms or butts or armpits of the animals. I wouldn't recommend fox or rabbit for a blanket as they shed with lots of use. Quite frankly, plates are a great financial alternative to having one made from full skins.

You can have a blanket made from a coat or two, but make sure the coats are in good condition first. Nothing worse than a blanket that will fall apart fast. The problem about using two or more coats is that the fur height and color is always different and your blanket will be "piecey"

A good furrier will actually take the coat apart, skin by skin and rework it into a blanket so you would never know it had been a coat.

If you pay a furrier to make you the blanket of your dreams out of new skins, make sure that you see and approve the skins first, and make sure that you and the furrier "match" the skins in an approved pattern before making it. I've seen this on a lot of websites where "furriers" make blankets with leftover skins and the hair heights and colors of the skins don't match. There is nothing worse than paying a huge amount of money for a blanket and having it look horrible.

Also, if you choose sheared beaver, make sure that the guard hairs are hand-plucked rather than machine plucked. machine plucked sheared beaver cuts the guard hairs to the same height as the underfur rather than plucking the whole guard hair from the skin, leaving short bristly hairs on the skin.

Hope this helps.

The boys at Tsarevich Furs

www.tsarevich.com

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your advise. I was also thinking of buying fur "plates" and having them worked into a throw/blanket, but these tend to be pieced together and of lesser quality. With all the Rex-Rabbit out now and the

lower cost I would think someone would offer these items. You would think they could fill a market between faux and high end ?

I wouldn't reccommend Rex Rabbit. It tends to shed after a few years.

Also, if you try fur plates, make sure the first matter used is first of all from the same pelt lots (meaning leftovers from identical pelts that were sold together) and from the same part of the animal.

Here in Greece we sew together the heads, the tails, the feet and other parts of the animals that were not used in the coats manufacturing procedures, each part of the animal to a different plate. You should definately avoid plates made of heads, because they are rough and not what you need for fur blankets. Tails would be good for you. Also, fox plates will give you a softer and fluffier result that you might find more convinient.

Coming to the whole cost, a fur blanket made of paws instead of full skins is extremely cheaper, but the quality difference is huge. Its up to you to decide what you need.

• Like 1

A minor dissagreement with Tsarevich. The pieced Fox I got from Furcorners shed very little and only at first. It is made from the "flanks' and though not real thick it is quite soft and surprisingly rugged. Better than expected.

It is clearly made from Plates and was a very good buy and excelent 'starter' spread.

I certainly agree over fur coats. For this reason I have collected pieced Fox jackets and coats to make a 'casual' and very irregular spread by design. Let you know how it turns out. Have to find a seamstress for making it though.

OFF

• 3 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi everybody,

It's my first message here. I just wanted to share my very positive experience with Paustian! I've recently bought this wonderful blanket after a visit to their shop in Kiel. The advantage of getting there is that you can negotiate and get a better price only because you're paying with cash. I must say that I've got an even better deal because they accept to replace the weasel fur on back with sheared mink for the same price! It was certainly possible because fur prices are much lower now than in 2014, a year with prices at the top.

I've just received the blanket after 2 monthes of waiting (the only bad point). The quality is here, and I'm very tempted to buy another blanket made of fox, because the overall quality is stunning (I've touched nearly every pelts they are using for manufacturing). Another reason to buy two blankets is if you want to sleep like in a fur sandwich, with you in the middle But for the moment, I'm just enjoying both faces of my awesome blanket!

Another word for conclusion: I don't understand why Paustian is continuing to propose such pricey sheared mink blankets, like this one. Mine has two faces, and was much cheap!

Yes I also agree Lars Paustian is great ! I ended up buying the blanket in my avatar and it is fantastic! I'm shopping for a second one now. I did end up making an offer that was accepted, saved quite a bet of money.

• 4 years later...

I purchased a my sable blanket from Lars and am very pleased with it, must he can facilitate any fur fantasies' one might have, saw a fantastic wall of mink costing almost a million euros.

• Thanks 1