purchasing used furs

fur MAN plus

Has anyone here purchased a "previously owned" full-length coat?   Norwegian raccoon?  Silver Fox?

What has been your experience  purchasing from outside your country?

• Like 1

My wife says no used furs, you don't know where it has been. I can't afford new furs plus it's illegal to sell them in California so that means no furs 😪

• Like 3

3 hours ago, minkme said:

My wife says no used furs, you don't know where it has been. I can't afford new furs plus it's illegal to sell them in California so that means no furs 😪

She's right about fur coats, but for fur rugs, it's not a problem.  I bought a used fur rug that was used on the floor of a store where it was placed rather close to an entrance and therefore, trampled by almost every visitor in dirty shoes (I even saw a young store employee wipe the bottom of her high heels on the tail of the fur rug after coming in from the rain, though she pretended to straighten the hide when she knew I caught her).  This means there's almost zero chance it has been on someone's body as it's too dirty.  Would your wife let you buy a used fur rug that's been on the floor of a store?

• Like 1

Although I have purchased several previously owned fur coats, the coats sold by a furrier have been cleaned, glazed, and probably sanitized in some way or other. I cannot be certain, however.  Judging from the seemingly light wear and pristine linings, I do not feel threatened.

Thanks for your comments.  

• Like 1

Over the years I/we have bought quite a few secondhand fur coats and (new) pelts online. Half the fun for us is going online and searching for our next furry victim, to do with as we please. Fur helps to keep the spark between us alive. As we fantasize the rude and unmanageable things that we would like to do with and to the various fur coats and pelts. Then once the fur arrives, using that fur to live out our fantasies. 99.9% of sellers take pride in what they are selling on eBay. It is easy to see and smell a fur, to know if it has been taken care of. We have only had two bad encounters with sellers, where the furs were in really bad condition. One; the fur was course and the skins were dried out and brittle. The other a mouse had chewed a small hole in the coyote fur under the hood. In both cases thanks to eBay’s policies. We were able to return the coats without too much of a hassle. 

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with buying second hand. The big advantage is you really get what you see on the pictures. Another big advantage is the quality. Furs from the 90's were made to last and are most of the time in new condition at a fraction of the price. On one occasion I had a bad surprise that it was torn, so I settled with the seller to get it repaired. 

• Like 1

I just purchased two  mink coats on Ebay.  I have not received them yet, but I will share the joy once they arrive.  Not sure of the age, but I think 1980s or 1990s.  I will have to wait and see.   I enjoy your postings, Paul 2809.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a f/l blue fox from an estate sale in the Netherlands. It arrived safe and sound in the US and was in perfect condition. I had to air it out a bit, but other than that, it was a fantastic. 

All of mine are second hand except for 2... things to watch for.. although the seller says its in mint condition, I have bought coats such as coyote/fox that are longer hair furs and tried to inspect as best as I can, but when I have got home and had them on now noticed the rip in the arm or high back area... just didnt see it when I was looking at it... most of these coats then are just worn around the house.. depending on the age of the fur, it may be impossible to fix... I know Ive also wrecked a full lnegth red fox.. after I would cross country ski at the local park, Id often climb back into my coat to keep warm on the way home... I guess over the years from my ski under layer being damp, it eventually damaged the back of the coat and the pelts all started separating in the rear high back area.. still have the coat, tried to fix it myself as best as I could.. wearable around the house, but not outdoors anymore... too bad... it was my favorite coat...one of those 1980s massive full length fox..the kind that would bury your face with the collar up...

You sound like you have enjoyed a delightful time in this fur.  How wonderful!  If you are living in Winnipeg, then your wearing a fur coat out in public would probably seem normal.  Of course, my living here in Washington, DC, which is clearly a province of the South,  as an old man I could not get away with wearing such a fur in public.  I live in a  residential section populated by conservative types, not at Dupont Circle where anything goes.  I simply  do not crave  attention from strangers here.  Since I feel that I belong here,  I do not want to appear in public as top banana in the shock department.  Recently, I  purchased a beautiful dark, ranch mink.  I want to have it converted to an oversize bomber with large sleeves and a zippered closure.  Ii think I would  feel comfortable in this jacket if the weather warranted it.  Today, the temp is 60 degrees, so I would not feel comfortable walking about the city in a fur.  

I enjoyed reading your post.

The mink mentioned in the above posting is beautiful.   The other mink I purchased about the same time, was damaged, and I think it had been sheared.  Can anyone imagine that?  Anyway, I sent it back to the vendor and received a full refund from Ebay.  

5 hours ago, fur MAN plus said:

You sound like you have enjoyed a delightful time in this fur.  How wonderful!  If you are living in Winnipeg, then your wearing a fur coat out in public would probably seem normal.  Of course, my living here in Washington, DC, which is clearly a province of the South,  as an old man I could not get away with wearing such a fur in public.  I live in a  residential section populated by conservative types, not at Dupont Circle where anything goes.  I simply  do not crave  attention from strangers here.  Since I feel that I belong here,  I do not want to appear in public as top banana in the shock department.  Recently, I  purchased a beautiful dark, ranch mink.  I want to have it converted to an oversize bomber with large sleeves and a zippered closure.  Ii think I would  feel comfortable in this jacket if the weather warranted it.  Today, the temp is 60 degrees, so I would not feel comfortable walking about the city in a fur.  

I enjoyed reading your post.

You'd be surprised how few furs there are here.. our winter temps vary anywhere from single digit minus celcius temps all the way down to -50C at extreme levels with the windchill..it would not be uncommon to get a few weeks where the low is -37 and the high is -23 or so.. you'd think youd see fur coats EVERYWHERE.. you see none to be honest... back in the 80s I remember there being at least 10 furriers in the city..even the large department stores had large fur salons... now there are 2 shops left in the city.. the one which sells new , the owner is pretty grumpy.. I remember being in there once and bought a mens coyote parka from him..while I was looking at the other furs, (full length fox and coyote) he made the comment "those coats are reserved for women" the other place doesnt sell alot of new unless its on request, but the owner is a super nice guy... I bring stuff in all the time to him to get fixed, and his rates are very fair.. you can tell the guy takes pride in his work...

The temps have been pretty mild so far... Ive really only been out a few times in my full length raccoon coat and hat... it may be cool in the morning (like -7) but by mid aft its been pushing 0 or warmer... for many that seems cold, but for me, thats a nice day and light outdoor gear is all thats really required.. you might actually get some strange looks wearing a fur coat at zero here.. -20 on the other hand... that a different story..  Ive found in general no one ever really says anything.. in fact no one has ever said anything.. I dont think most people really care here to be honest... at 60F, Id be wearing shorts and maybe a light fleece at most.. in Winnipeg after its been -30 for a few weeks, 0 degrees means break out the shorts!! (no joke)

I live in Washington, DC.  Today, the weather here is projected at 60 F.  When evening begins closing in about 5:00, the air is colder than one would expect.  Yesterday when I went out about that time, I had to pull up the hood of my car coat and pull on gloves.   I live in the upper northwest part of the city,  west  of Washington National Cathedral (Mount St. Alban) where the temp is at least 10 degrees cooler than downtown, Dupont Circle  AKA  Bouffant Circle.  HAHAHAHAHA!

I purchased the glorious mink coat on Ebay from a decent man named Chase.