Furs

paul2809

There’s nothing special about raccoon furs at all. They’re like the third or fourth most popular fur type behind fox and mink and coyote going back 100 years and they’re available at most major fur boutique’s and retailers. Just ask the sales clerk and they’ll show you their selection. 

Is raccoon fur really popular? Or is it raccoon dog?

I think you see the second one very often at the moment. But those are two totally different animals. Especially the Chinese are breeding a lot of raccoon dogs on their farms.

Raccoon can make a very nice coat. It has a long tradition and has been a common fur for men to wear. [Take a look at Eric Clapton in a large and long raccoon coat.]

"Raccoon dog" [also tanuki, Murmansky, or Finnish raccoon] is certainly all around today.  That fur has many attributes, it's depth and fullness included.

What makes it special for me is that it's an exceptionally long haired fur type, which makes it very pleasing on the eye. I also like its softness although it is not as soft as fox. And compared to fox, it is more affordable. 

Finnish raccoon (your 2nd) is the best!

Planning to get a 5-star HQ finnish raccoon fur blanket for the top of our bed... Safe to say I will never emerge from it! 🥰

Traditional North American raccoon has always been, in my experience, a VERY COARSE FUR that isn't very desirable in comparison to FINN/FINNISH/MURMANSKY.

A very knowledge friend on this site corrected me that I shouldn't refer to my finn raccoon as tanuki, as they're not the same either!

I've now seen several types of North American raccoon, with different looks and qualities, but here in Toronto it was very popular, they're the cheapest/they don't cost a lot, and they never sell apparently... Even a non-enthusiast would want a softer fur... Crazy warm fur like beaver.

1 hour ago, CoyoteFox said:

Finnish raccoon (your 2nd) is the best!

Planning to get a 5-star HQ finnish raccoon fur blanket for the top of our bed... Safe to say I will never emerge from it! 🥰

Traditional North American raccoon has always been, in my experience, a VERY COARSE FUR that isn't very desirable in comparison to FINN/FINNISH/MURMANSKY.

A very knowledge friend on this site corrected me that I shouldn't refer to my finn raccoon as tanuki, as they're not the same either!

I've now seen several types of North American raccoon, with different looks and qualities, but here in Toronto it was very popular, they're the cheapest/they don't cost a lot, and they never sell apparently... Even a non-enthusiast would want a softer fur... Crazy warm fur like beaver.

When I worked at the Alaska Fur Gallery a few years ago, we had some customers of ours who walked into our shop and specifically took an interest in our Coyote coats, beaver jackets and raccoon jackets and accessories because they were avid ice fishing aficionados, hunters and they enjoyed camping during the winter months and they preferred having a courser fur that was more rugged, that could handle the outdoor elements, that could handle, snow, rain and perspiration and that had hairs that they didn’t have to worry about shedding. So those three furs were always among their top 3 in their selection. So they have an audience. But fashion wise? You’re not going to find much use for North American Racoon or Beaver when it comes to fashion. It’s just not that kind of fur. It’s meant to be a more rugged-outdoorsy style of fur that is meant for everyday wear instead of a night on the town. Sort of in the same vein as a shearling but with more presentation and insulation.

Edited by Panther10
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, Panther10 said:

When I worked at the Alaska Fur Gallery a few years ago, we had some customers of ours who walked into our shop and specifically took an interest in our Coyote coats, beaver jackets and raccoon jackets and accessories because they were avid ice fishing aficionados, hunters and they enjoyed camping during the winter months and they preferred having a courser fur that was more rugged, that could handle the outdoor elements, that could handle, snow, rain and perspiration and that had hairs that they didn’t have to worry about shedding. So those three furs were always among their top 3 in their selection. So they have an audience. But fashion wise? You’re not going to find much use for North American Racoon or Beaver when it comes to fashion. It’s just not that kind of fur. It’s meant to be a more rugged-outdoorsy style of fur that is meant for everyday wear instead of a night on the town. Sort of in the same vein as a shearling but with more presentation and insulation.

Beaver is fashionable. Beaver mitts. Beaver and deerskin trapper hat. Beaver trimmed hair on cowhide or reindeer mukluks. People wear beaver cuffs on their parkas all the time.