Advice wanted. (Please!)

dongleboy

I recently bought a gorgeous xxxl full length mink coat from the USA.   It’s obviously been extremely well treated and is in great condition.  I’m so looking forward to the winter to road test it!

However, it has the name of the previous owner sewn into the lining.  The sewing work is superb and I’m reluctant to change either the lining or have the embroidery covered over.  What I do with my other minks is have my name sewn into the lining on the inside of the hem and this has sufficed.  

I suppose that I’m worried that one day I’ll hang this new coat up in a cloakroom and someone will challenge me as to whether or not it’s actually mine! (Are cloakrooms open yet?  None of the venues we frequent have re-opened theirs yet). 

Looking forward to hearing suggestions. 

Fear can be a very powerful emotion, but I think you should embrace the craftsmanship. Virtually nobody knows anymore fur coats can have linings with initials, in contrast with the people here on this forum🙂. Apart from that the person must have matching initials. I can only recommend make plenty of pictures you wearing the coat, please share them here on the forum, as proof it is your coat in combination of your evidence/invoice of buying the coat. Just store them on your phone. You can always add an extra label stating that people should not borrow other people's stuff (or with your name). Since I am wearing more and more often my furs I am less afraid of the coat being damaged, although I am found of them they still remain articles that I am using.

Or get very creative and use the existing initials to create a piece of art in combination with your initials showing a little bit of history of the coat and to put a piece of yourself into the design. Sometimes you just need to do a little extra to be proud.

If it has a pocket on the inside, you could always get an initialed handkerchief and keep it there as potential proof it’s yours.