A series of Questions

Mr Barguzin

It came to mind as I was watching Germany beat Costa Rica, and don't ask me why, cause it was an interesting match, but a few questions also popped up, given the thoughts raised when answering another post here.

the questions are as follows:

When did you first come online 1996

At what speed? 19.6 kps

Current speed: 512kbs adsl

and files download at? approx 55kbs

Be interesting to see other replies *grin*

Maybe one other question:

How often have you changed ISP's?? Twice.. am on third *grin*

Remember I am not a computer buff;

2003 - i think

Don't know

One megabyte - i think

Don't know

Have not

When did you first come online: 1994

At what speed: 28 kps (I think)

Current speed: 15/15 mbit fiberoptics

and files download at? depends on the upload-speed from the server i download from. If it's a good site, I max at 15mbit+/s =P

Changed ISPs: probably 6 times

First fur-site visited: NTCWeb (First I remember anyway. But I know I dropped by some smaller sites first.) God I miss the NTCWeb pic uploads....

Edited by Guest

When did you first come online: 1999 (at home, 1996 at university)

At what speed? 56 k

Current speed: 1 Mb adsl

and files download at? the max I've clocked is 113 k. An average file from an average site would be 60-70 k

How often have you changed ISP's? I've had 6, although 4 of those were at the same time...

Can I add a further question?

Which was the first fur site you visited? The Fur Twins' Place

Brace yourselves for the long-winded version.

I first went online at RISD in my freshman year, mostly to do web searches and just marvel at the technology...at super-slow speeds. In '95, when my parents jumped on the World Wide Web with Compuserve, they were connecting at something like 16.4? I didn't get my own internet access until my third year, 1997, when I signed up for Compuserve at...oh lordy...I can't remember the speed for the life of me. All I know is it cost a fortune and I always used the computers at studio anyway. In '98, when I got my 450 mhz desktop with a local Providence ISP, I was connecting at speeds between 26.4 and 56k - good enough for thesis research and a new odyssey for me, AOL instant messenger. I have had the same screen name for eight years. All through grad school until the summer of '02, I connected at *wince* dialup in my house off the Lehigh campus because I simply didn't want to pay for cable or DSL. Finally, when I moved into my new place later that year, I connnected at cable speeds from a wireless card.

Shamed into my first computer in 1998.

A damn slow 386 with Windowz 95 upgraded on a slower Dial Up.

Discovered Melody, Fox Files, NTC and Fur Fashion sites.

Pissed off by Windowz, Dial up and a glacially slow computer after discovering furs on the internet I got a new Gigabite computer with Linux and a local fiber optic network and ISP in 2002.

Current speed many Megabites and I haven't found the file download limit yet after getting several at several Gig's each. Same ISP/Cable at my office where we transfer huge files quickly. Only my typing is slow now.

OFF

When did you first come online: 1997

At what speed? 56 k

Current speed: 384 adsl

and files download at? about 20-30 kbps

How often have you changed ISP's?? 4-5 and still I got to change once more cause this one rips me off (rough competition and prices fall day by day)

Can't remember when I first came on line. It was a long time before NTC first made their pictures area into a pay area. 96 maybe? Man that's a long while back Mr B. Speed I guess was 56 K. Seemed very fast then!

W

What was your first computer?

Here's an oldie.

Radio Shack TRS 80 with a mind numbing 8k of memory.

That's right 8 kilobytes of memory.

Didn't have a disk drive. It had a tape drive. Used regular cassette tapes with some sort of weird electronic noise as the input.

You had to install anything you wanted to do every time you used the computer.

Many many years later I inherited an 8088 with 2 gigs of memory and a monochrome 13" monitor.

First computer.... a "dick Smith" special..... rubber keyboard (keys, that is *grin*) Tape HD and 13" colour monitor.... Actually a converted TV LMAO.

first REAL puter Acer 386DX 66...... 640Mb HD and hm methinks I actually had 64Mb RAM . Oh and a colour monitor and win 3.11.

It came to mind as I was watching Germany beat Costa Rica, and don't ask me why, cause it was an interesting match, but a few questions also popped up, given the thoughts raised when answering another post here.

the questions are as follows:

When did you first come online 1996

At what speed? 19.6 kps

Current speed: 512kbs adsl

and files download at? approx 55kbs

Be interesting to see other replies *grin*

Maybe one other question:

How often have you changed ISP's?? Twice.. am on third *grin*

Hee Hee Good one Mr B, made me smile bigtime

On Net - About the same time as you 1996

Speed - 56K Modem

Currently - 2.2MB going to 8MB soon

Download depends on site, good ones are upto about 225Kbs

1st PC - 386DX 50 with 40MB HDD!!!!!!! & 4MB RAM - Highest spec'd in our company at the time!!!! (Snigger)

1st FUR site - SAGA & then "Found" NTC - & suddenly I wasn't the perve with the Fur Fetish Also Mikhails' Softspot was a regular home for me on the Net

first REAL puter Acer 386DX 66...... 640Mb HD and hm methinks I actually had 64Mb RAM

I think that's either a typo or the rose-tinted glasses in operation there... 4Mb RAM I'd believe with a 386

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bring this one back up top for one reason and one reason alone...

The speeds that are now available to folks around the world are in many cases light years ahead of what we had initially on either 19.4 (?), 24 (?) or 56 kps.

You just have to look at a coupe of the above posts to realise the advances that have been made in this regard. But, BUT we in Oz have hit a wall... or rather, the main telco in Oz has decided to be a pain in the A$$ and not upgrade the line system unless it gets things more its way.... hm sound familiar to anyone??

So, that means that the best that we in Oz can hope for at the moment is ADSL2+ which might allow up to 8Mbps or even higher... IF you are close enough to a node.

So, what is the fastest service that you know of and do you use it? What does it cost (if not too rude) and is it worth it?

For the sake of the argument, could you please restrict your replies to home use puters only unless you clearly state otherwise.

I don't know since after sending a file of well over 100GB recently from our office [have the same service at home] we haven't hit our limit. Our ISP says we don't have a practical limit.

I think the same reason Amazon.com decided to set up their computer operations across the street from our local Municiple Utility Company. They run a fiber optic Cable Network that I'm also on. Too bad eBay doesn't move up here. They might not have the glitches they often have.

OFF

The speeds that are now available to folks around the world are in many cases light years ahead of what we had initially on either 19.4 (?), 24 (?) or 56 kps.

When I first got "On Line" 2,400 baud was the max and I was lucky to get it! Half the time 1,200 was the best I could get. If I was having a particularly bad day, I'd be lucky to keep a connection alive at 300!

It was a a couple years before we got modems that could go as fast as 9,600 BPS.

Mind you, this was all done on a computer that had a 1.02 megaherz CPU and a whopping 64 kilobytes of memory. (You could expand it up to 128 KB if you paid extra.)

Nowadays, I regularly work on computers with two dual core chips, running at speeds ABOVE 2 gigaherz. These computers are fed through a network that is fed by 4 T-1 fiber optic lines.

If I turn on the multi-threaded network connection and wait until late at night to use the internet, I can get about 1,300 KBPS throughput. (About as fast as is theoretically possible, given the size of the local network.)

Things certainly change! Don't they?

When I first went on line in '97 my dial up was $30/mo. plus my second phone line.

Got rid of the phone line when I got the fiber optic connection and it only costs $30/mo to my ISP. If it weren't for my cable TV hook-up it would be free or part of the ISP service.

Having your Municipality run something like this is a very good thing. A good friend lives in Bend, OR and they have a Municipally operated cable system like here with the same excellent and reasonable costs.

Excellent service as well just a real person phone call away.

OFF

So, that means that the best that we in Oz can hope for at the moment is ADSL2+ which might allow up to 8Mbps or even higher... IF you are close enough to a node.

So, what is the fastest service that you know of and do you use it? What does it cost (if not too rude) and is it worth it?

Dear old 'Broadband Britain' is in much the same state: 8Mbps is pretty much the highest offered, though most people won't get that high. Last time I checked I was told I *might* be able to get 2Mbps rather than the 1 I currently do, but last time I upgraded and was on the fringe of the area my service kept dropping out so didn't think it was worth the hassle.

As for cost, there is no difference in the price for speed - if you can get it, you can have it. The only factor is download limit. I pay

I keep coming to this thread by mistake. I keep forgetting it isn't written in English. I could just make out;

"I love Norway" but the rest is double dutch to me.

Let's see... first came online in 1996 at a blazing speed of 14.4 kps. It took forever for those NTC pics to load! Now crusing along at 54Mbps both down and up.

FLinFL