Curious if Fur can be treated with oils to enhance softness.

MrsMink

So I I am curious what the members from The Forum use to treat their first and make them last longer be softer and reinvigorate them.

I hear that pomegranate seed oil, argan oil and lanolin are a miracle. I've tried pure argan oil on my hair and the results were absolutely incredible I never knew that something could make your hair so soft.

I would imagine adding argan oil to a fur would make a medium quality for turn into an extremely high-quality fur has anybody experimenting with this befur?

I am not aware of the use of any of the oils you mentioned except lanolin. Furriers use a spray with some lanolin oil in it as part of the glazing process to slow down the drying out of the leather of pelts. I am not aware of any oils improving the tactile feel of fur, but I do know that the leather side of pelts is treated with an oil during the tanning process.

I am not aware of the use of any of the oils you mentioned except lanolin. Furriers use a spray with some lanolin oil in it as part of the glazing process to slow down the drying out of the leather of pelts. I am not aware of any oils improving the tactile feel of fur, but I do know that the leather side of pelts is treated with an oil during the tanning process.

If you have any hair or beard you should try argan oil and you will be in shock at how much it moisturizes your hair.

that's what scrap furs are for. but i think, as akc said, the oils were used only on the leather side, not on the hairs

• 3 weeks later...

I’m curious if anybody washes there fur and if so what do they wash the fur with do they use eucalan or any oil based shampoos

I’m curious if anybody washes there fur and if so what do they wash the fur with do they use eucalan or any oil based shampoos
Washing fur is a terrible idea and will destroy the leather of the pelt(s).

While clerking in a fur store several years ago, I had a woman come in looking for a new band for a pair of earmuffs she had laundered in a washing machine (the washer had broken the band). I tried to remove the fur from the old band, but the leather was so extremely hard it was impossible without destroying the fur. Needless to say the woman left rather unhappy, but it was her fault for washing the earmuffs. ANY washing of fur will remove the oils that keep the leather soft and pliable.

The ONLY way to clean fur is the furrier method which is a dry process using a material (such as ground walnut shells) soaked in a mild cleaning solvent.

To echo what AKcoyote said, NEVER EVER wash fur. Very, very bad idea. If you wash fur, the leather becomes very stiff after it dries. It never regains its former suppleness.