How to tell sheared rex vs sheared mink

dc

Hi -

I'm looking at a jacket for my wife and it is labeled as dyed brown sheared mink, but I know sheared rex can be made to look like a number of different furs. Any help on how to tell the difference? (there is no sewn in fur origin / type label)

Thx

D

Not to confuse the issue, but I have never seen or heard of sheared rex. Rex generally has a soft texture that does not need shearing. Others may (or will) disagree, but I think the possible choices (if the garment is not labeled accurately) would be sheared mink or sheared beaver. As to telling the difference between sheared mink and sheared rex, our more experienced members will have to weigh-in.

I have a sheared rex garment and it is mot near as soft as the unsheared rex. I even wonder why they would do that. Anyway a rabbit pelt should be wider than the mink pelts so unless it's been "let out" you should be able to tell. Plus sheared mink that has not been plucked still has the wirey stubble guard hairs in it that rex does not. Interestingly enough, sheared fox is, to me, like rex rabbit, ruined when sheared.

"I even wonder why they would do that."

To fool customers?

This. The coat is skin on skin and not let out, but since it has been dyed, the leather side doesn't leave many clues. If mink, it has been plucked, as there are no guard hairs. I know sheared beaver, but this is my 1st experience with what is being labeled sheared mink (newer coat, private seller and I don't live where I could go to a salon to compare). The texture is very soft and velvety, with the nap only a little over 1/2". Not sure if this helps, but appreciate those who have shared their feedback.

From your description, it could be sheared mink. However a 1/2"+ nap is in my experience a bit long for sheared mink. My experience sheared mink usually has a nap closer to 3/8", but you might have found a higher quality one than what I have experienced.

Looks like sheared mink, if it is in fact real fur, which with sheared is very hard to tell from photos. So long as you are happy, that is what counts though right?

It's definitely real and I'm inclined to believe mink too. Her two current minks are both unsheared and unplucked fully let out coats and I have to say, what a difference the plucking alone makes. It is velvet soft and the coat has a french hem, so you can see and touch the backsides of the pelts. Thanks all for your helpful detective work.