Sad Day

lynxette

Just read in the news that effective Jan 2019 it will be illegal to buy or sell real furs of any type or style in the City of San Francisco. Apparently this was approved unanimously by the city Board of Supervisors, despite the warnings given by several business owners. Old inventory may be sold until Jan 2020, if it was purchased before the vote date. This is absolutely pathetic, and one more reason that I hope to never have any reason to go to that city again. Leather is of course exempted, further demonstrating the double standards of those who are carrying out this policy.

Pretty lame. Also lame of them to not make it a city vote versus a few people. Board of Supervisors? What the hell is that? Ah well. Sorry SF peoples.

Yeah, pretty fucked up. While it would have been nice to see this vote go to the residents, instead of a few in power, I suspect the results would have been the same. SF has a pretty young and liberal populace. And while there's nothing wrong with that inherently (I count myself as pretty liberal too) I strongly suspect many of those young liberals are anti-fur.

On the plus side, you might be able to get some extremely great deals from the few furriers in the area as they liquidate their inventory. I know that's a little messed up, but there's a silver lining to every cloud, right?

This has lawsuit written all over it. And if the reasons why come up in the case, the reasons will show themselves as either false or hypocritical.

And this is from someone who otherwise supports the city on pushing social progress. This isn't it.

Lynxette, You beat me posting the news. I grew up in San Francisco. I remember dozens of fur stores around Union Square, the main shopping area in the City. All the small shops are long gone. Now the only place to buy furs is at Sak's 5th Avenue's Fur Salon and Niemen's Marcus Department stores. That's only two places and one small shop that mainly deals with second hand furs left. Only orders placed before March 20, 2018 can be filled. So I don't think there will be any great deals left, what they have on hand or orders is all what can be sold.

I am still hoping to buy my wife a fur, now this seems to change things. Sad day for sure.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/san-francisco-becomes-first-major-city-u-s-ban-fur-sales/

Ban also applies to the sale of fur accessories like fur hats. The ordering of fur items shipped to a San Francisco address is also prohibited.

Wow, now that is really a bridge too far. So if I live in San Fran, which i would NEVER do, I cannot even buy a fur coat from say David Green in Alaska and have it shipped to me??? How do they plan on enforcing that draconian regulation, opening everyone's mail?

Sounds like a breech of interstate commerce.

What fur association has sufficiently deep pockets to fight this in court?

So now our cities and States are telling us what we can do, sell, buy? I think there is more important things out there to be taken care of. Why furs? I thought this was America, Land of the Free? What next?

Wow, now that is really a bridge too far. So if I live in San Fran, which i would NEVER do, I cannot even buy a fur coat from say David Green in Alaska and have it shipped to me??? How do they plan on enforcing that draconian regulation, opening everyone's mail?

Again, this has lawsuit written all over it, like the short-lived soda size ban in New York City.

Well, in essence, it is apparently legal at the moment because the Board of Supervisors says it is legal. I think Lord is quite right that legal action may come about, if not by s merchant, than by someone who wants to buy and receive a fur from somewhere else.

I think that SF's branch of the Chamber of Commerce and their local chapter of the BBB will probably take these guys to court long before the citizens of that particular city do. Hell even the Governor of the state might be all up in arms over this because this vote supersedes his gubernatorial authority. I would bet that Gerry Brown won't lift a finger to make sure that this city council decision is enforced in any meaningful way.

Edited by Guest

This is ridiculous. I hope that there will be a legal challenge. Next thing you know the PeTA Freaks will want a law banning the WEARING of furs in San Francisco. A few years ago I'd heard of some night clubs in NYC (none that I'd care to visit; catered to young & trendy types) which ban the wearing of fur on their premises. There's also a night spot down in Laguna Beach, or was that Newport Beach, Orange County, Calif., which does the same (I hope they're out of business).

It's a bizarre turn of events, because as I understand it, SF has become less of a home to young leftists or the type of bohemian artists who once populated the city and gave it it's charm, and more of a home to tech bros looking to make a quick dollar. Maybe they wanted to virtue signal to try and keep up their city's old image, since all the young struggling artists and musicians are in Oakland now.

Apparently the Chamber of Commerce asked for the Board of Supervisors for more time on the issue. The Chamber of Commerce lost.

Apparently the Chamber of Commerce asked for the Board of Supervisors for more time on the issue. The Chamber of Commerce lost.

ooh...that wont bode well for the City Council in SF or PETA. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is one of the most powerful lobbyists in the country. You do not want to get on their bad side, especially with a republican controlled congress in their pocket. They will chew organizations like PETA up and spit them out.

I am not sure how i feel about this in the overall, as I am opposed in principle, but not sure whether the citizens of San Francisco will even notice. The businesses will move on, case closed i fear.