Please identify this fur coat no info on google at all

wordy777

Hi I have a full length black fur coat, with label Madison Leon Paris New York, no google info at all, need a suggested selling price, and I dont know what kind of fur it is, its in a1 condition, all there no smell at all.

Once again thank you all for helping I'm a fashion photographer here in South Florida if you ever come this way hit me up I wont post my portfolio so its not self promotion.

This is a mahogany mink coat. Depending upon age and condition of the leather, I would start by guessing that it might run 2,000.00 retail, probably less on eBay to realistically sell it. Does not matter at all what it was priced at new, as it is now a used coat. Prices are also going to vary based upon location, clientele, etc. In other words, what someone would pay in Wisconsin say would be different than New York, and even within a State or Province.

I sell camera gear on ebay, stopped for a long while as coudn't stomach the 13% to paypal and ebay, I'd like to sell it just never sold clothing on ebay, any suggestions, I know to look for any smell, and there is none and as far as the leather goes im not an expert, though none is falling out. Any help would be great. And I live in South Florida, but there are lots of winter residents so i will list it locally at your suggested price.

One thing not previously mentioned that will affect the price and willingness of someone to purchase the coat is condition of the pelts. By that I mean are the pelts dried out. The best way to determine that is to take part of the garment such as a sleeve between your hands and flex it back and forth. If it feels stiff or sounds like you are crumpling heavy paper then the pelts are dry and the garment will shortly start to disintegrate. If the pelts are dry, then the value could be only $300 or less. If the pelts are in good shape, lynxette's estimate would be more reasonable.

Good point regarding the french hem.. All quality fur garments leave this open so one can inspect the leather. Sewn shut, beware...not necessarily bad, but an indicator to be careful.

Also it might have a French seam (lining) and you can take a look at the back of the pelts by lifting up the seam.
While that might be possible, one cannot tell simply by looking at the leather side of the pelts if they are dried out, unless they have already started to disintegrate. It can take many months between pelts becoming dry and starting to disintegrate.

True, but an examination can tell if they are becoming mealy, which is a sure bad sign, especially around the let out seams. Need a lot of experience to know for sure, but I have seen furriers do it.

.... Need a lot of experience to know for sure, but I have seen furriers do it.
Granted only one with a lot of experience can easily and quickly assess the true condition of a fur garment. But we are both attempting to provide some tips to those with little or no experience on how to judge the basic condition of pelts.

Also it might have a French seam (lining) and you can take a look at the back of the pelts by lifting up the seam.
While that might be possible, one cannot tell simply by looking at the leather side of the pelts if they are dried out, unless they have already started to disintegrate. It can take many months between pelts becoming dry and starting to disintegrate.

Definitely, I was by no means suggesting looking under the French hem as the solitary way to tell the condition of the pelts, but only in addition to the scrunch test you already told him about AKcoyote. Hand in hand these two things should give a solid idea of the condition.

That is how I understood you to be saying Capitalistic Blonde. Nothing is really fulproof in the fur business though. I have bought brand new coats that have had problems from the get go, and I have used coats that never have. Go figure.

That is how I understood you to be saying Capitalistic Blonde. Nothing is really fulproof in the fur business though. I have bought brand new coats that have had problems from the get go, and I have used coats that never have. Go figure.
This brings up a good point that needs to be mentioned -- the durability of fur garments will vary due to several factors. Some furs sold as new have actually been hanging around the furrier's shop for a considerable time - possibly years. Also how the pelts were handled by the tanner can make a big difference - if the pelts were fleshed (scraped) rather thin to reduce their weight, the resulting garment will dry out much faster than if the leather of the pelts had been left thicker. Further, the workmanship of the manufacturing furrier can make a big difference in durability. Buyer beware.

Very good AKcoyote. In my case it was a very soft spitz beaver f/l hooded coat that had been poorly tanned on one sleeve. Had it fixed, and no issues since.

• 6 months later...