Furs covered by renters insurence

paul2809

It depends completely on the terms of the policy you purchase. Like any insurance policy, renters or not, you need to read the details of the policy to find out what is and is not covered by it. I think that it is unlikely real furs would be covered by a renters policy without a special rider attachment, as most homeowners policies do not cover furs unless listed separately and paid for separately. Fake furs would be treated as any average winter coat, and so would be covered.

Generally, furs are considered high-value items by insurance companies and to be covered require a specific rider to the policy listing the item(s) and specifying the insured value.

As this is a general question NOT related to any sale of a fur, I am moving the topic to the Den for a better audience.

I attempted this a few years ago at our rental condo.

Got my wife a nice, crystal fox stroller. The person I bought it from charged me $800, but included an appraisal certificate at $1600. It was a helluva deal at almost half, but it was a super quick sale. In dealing with our rental insurance at the condo, I attempted to have the fox covered. To be honest it wasn't worth the hassle as hardly anyone insures furs to such a degree these days and the insurance staff could not find the forms or proper procedure to get it done. The woman in the office couldn't understand the concept of me wanting to "buy insurance for a jacket".

I'm sure there are others out there were the process is streamlined and simple, but in my experience it was just a real hassle.

Like any other form of insurance, some people see a need and others don't. We have always insured our furs ( even when renting) but not all of them. Why insure a $300 jacket with an appraisal of $1200. It would cost $50 a year, not worth it to me. $8000 mink coat yes. We don't insure all the jewelry either, just the major pieces.

That is absolutely true, and the fur insurance market is notoriously fickle in actually paying out claims, even more so than homeowners, etc. It can really feel like a racket, but of course business is in business to make money, and people do also make false insurance claims, so there are plenty of reasons for the gaming of the system so to say.