Would anyone like to help a girl with her first major fur purchase?

Fursephone

G'day Fursephone.....and furs in Auz. Troublesome question. Essentially all the eBay furs here are way overpriced, can be dry, and not worth bothering. If you do, be very clear in getting info or even checking them. Having said that, Linda Black Furs in Melbourne may be worth ringing. A furrier dealing in 2nd hand and re-purposed so possible.

If looking overseas, Germany does 2nd hand mink well, and in a good price range, eBay italia has great power foxes, and again reasonable. Import issues are over $1000 dollars. Postage from the US and Canada is stupid. The postal service must have gold stamps there!

Hope that helps. Sometimes you get a bum one, sometimes gold......and haggle if you can .....if you lose one auction, another is round the corner.

Auzmink

Thanks Auzmink!

Yes, I've had my woes with acquiring furs from within Aus.. The scene is not particularly vibrant here! I have been to Linda Black actually and it's a great shop with lovely, helpful staff. They have some lovely furs, but very few foxes, and none of the full length variety, which is really what I'm after. So I think eBay is my best bet. I've noticed postage can be a little ridiculous from NA.. Though I have seen a small number of sellers with reasonable or even free shipping. I'll have to browse eBay Italia for power foxes.

Have you ever had to deal with import taxes and whatnot due to a $1000+ purchase? If it's just a flat 10% extra, I would be happy to take the added cost for the right coat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fursephone

• sheepskin_lover

• Fox

• ozfurlova

Hi Fursephone,

Like the other Aussies I've already commented, you're going to have better luck overseas on eBay than the typically overpriced, over-worn items you tend to come across on eBay here - that's not to say you won't get lucky occasionally but you've got to be persistent with your searches and hope to come across the right one at the right time.

From buying overseas, I'd say there's a few things to be mindful of:

- Yes, I've been stung with the import tax several years back. Not sure of the situation now but back then it was both GST and Import Sales Tax which added a whopping $700 to a $2,000 purchase. As you've mentioned, anything over $1,000 will definitely attract GST but not so sure that still impose the Import Sales Tax anymore. Best to research it beforehand, I guess?

- In addition to the above, postage cost is/was factored into the item value. You'll normally be paying at least $100 in postage so be careful if you're buying something for $900, for example

- **Most important if buying from an overseas seller on eBay** Make sure the seller DOES NOT use the eBay Global Shipping Program. It's a cheap shipping alternative mainly for those in North America but will not ship furs and are hopeless at advertising that fact. If you do buy a fur and the seller sends through this method, they will seize the item and you'll simply be refunded (the seller obviously keeps their payment). Have absolutely no idea which abyss the fur goes into afterwards but I know of a few people that have been stung by this and know of zero who have ever gotten the fur back. The most recent full length fur I bought from the US a few months back was originally offered by the seller through the GSP but some nice talking and negotiation with the seller got them around to sending it to me via FedEx instead (I paid more but at least I got it!)

Happy to help you with anything more via PM (when you're at that stage) if you like

It definitely is! Although maybe out of my budget for now Seeing as you're also from Aussie, have you ever bought a fur from overseas and had to pay import/customs tax?

I have bought several furs from OS and as long as it is marked "coat" or "clothing" (and of course the nominated price is under the limit) and doesn't mention fur in the description it is a good chance of getting through but it is a matter of chance as to whether they inspect the parcel. Good luck.

Hi Fursephone,

Like the other Aussies I've already commented, you're going to have better luck overseas on eBay than the typically overpriced, over-worn items you tend to come across on eBay here - that's not to say you won't get lucky occasionally but you've got to be persistent with your searches and hope to come across the right one at the right time.

From buying overseas, I'd say there's a few things to be mindful of:

- Yes, I've been stung with the import tax several years back. Not sure of the situation now but back then it was both GST and Import Sales Tax which added a whopping $700 to a $2,000 purchase. As you've mentioned, anything over $1,000 will definitely attract GST but not so sure that still impose the Import Sales Tax anymore. Best to research it beforehand, I guess?

- In addition to the above, postage cost is/was factored into the item value. You'll normally be paying at least $100 in postage so be careful if you're buying something for $900, for example

- **Most important if buying from an overseas seller on eBay** Make sure the seller DOES NOT use the eBay Global Shipping Program. It's a cheap shipping alternative mainly for those in North America but will not ship furs and are hopeless at advertising that fact. If you do buy a fur and the seller sends through this method, they will seize the item and you'll simply be refunded (the seller obviously keeps their payment). Have absolutely no idea which abyss the fur goes into afterwards but I know of a few people that have been stung by this and know of zero who have ever gotten the fur back. The most recent full length fur I bought from the US a few months back was originally offered by the seller through the GSP but some nice talking and negotiation with the seller got them around to sending it to me via FedEx instead (I paid more but at least I got it!)

Happy to help you with anything more via PM (when you're at that stage) if you like

Thanks ozfurlova.

I looked into it, and tried my best to make sense of the various fees/tax that'd be added on, and I think with GST of 10%, a 5% duty tax for it being a fur coat and the customs processing fee, a coat which cost $2000, for example, would have an additional ~$350 added on top. Though I'm not entirely confident that's right (they don't make it that easy to work this all out on the various websites!).

I will definitely steer clear of the eBay GSP. I've heard it can be very troublesome from multiple members bow. Sounds like a real nightmare!

Thanks for the PM offer. I may send you one soon!

I looked into it, and tried my best to make sense of the various fees/tax that'd be added on, and I think with GST of 10%, a 5% duty tax for it being a fur coat and the customs processing fee, a coat which cost $2000, for example, would have an additional ~$350 added on top. Though I'm not entirely confident that's right (they don't make it that easy to work this all out on the various websites!)

Yes, not very easy at all. A cynic could be forgiven for thinking it's that way on purpose just so they can make extra money off you

Exciting update! After much deliberation I finally committed to a fur I think I will really love, this silver fox stroller:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263229117691

I can't wait for it to arrive! I will probably post another update once I have it.

Thanks to everyone who gave me handy tips and advice! It was so useful and I do appreciate it.

Exciting update! After much deliberation I finally committed to a fur I think I will really love, this silver fox stroller:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263229117691

I can't wait for it to arrive! I will probably post another update once I have it.

Thanks to everyone who gave me handy tips and advice! It was so useful and I do appreciate it.

And I hope you look and feel great wearing that!

Sweet sweet choice!

Unfortunate update!

I got the coat today.. but I've found three tears (there might be more I've yet to find!) where the leather seems to have become dry and brittle. I think the fur was not stored properly? It's so sad! It seemed beautiful otherwise. As it was described as new, I think I'm able to return it for full refund plus postage. I'm hoping that's the case!

I had high hopes for seeing a purchase from g.m.furs posted on this forum, but this is terrible news. I hope they didn't knowingly ship defective goods.

Whoa, that is appalling. I would have hoped a retailer with such presence online would have been a bit more upfront.

I think I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a very unfortunate oversight. He's been very obliging with the return process so far, arranging the courier and ensuring I don't have to pay return postage. It seems really at odds with his feedback history and reputation. The fur was very long which would've made it hard to spot the damage. Still.. it's a shame and a bit annoying I have to go through the hassle of returning.. As soon as I'm refunded I'll be looking for a coat again!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy update!

I've been refunded for the damaged silver fox. And just recently I've bought a fur from greg from this forum and am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

It's a gorgeous blue fox stroller which looks like it'll be just wonderful to wear. I'm quite sure that I'm going to love it!

Just took a look at it and I bet you can't wait to show that off come next winter! You're certainly right about it being gorgeous, no doubt at all you'll love it

Glad to see that you will have a good quality fur coat as your first one.

I want to thank you Fursephone because when you posted about your damage fur coat i was going to buy a new fur from the same seller and so i didn't. Instead i've waited and bought a fur from dariafur and love it.

Hope you will enjoy yours soon.