Any way for a 16 year old male in Southern California to acquire real fur?

Skinnypanda

Long time watcher, first time poster. Basically what the title says. I would love something...anything containing real fur, but I have absolutely no idea how to aquire such an item in my current position. Thanks for any insight.

I've been in your shoes. When I was 16, I started my first business ostensibly to start learning about financial literacy, and gradually to buy (and sell) things my parents didn't know about. The education started when I realized what I wanted enough to weigh the risk.

1. Options and transportation. Constantly search for merchants in your area who sell higher-quality old things nobody wants (vintage stores) or who sell things for people in exchange for a percentage (consignment stores) in addition to local estate sales in addition to AdHuntr/Craigslist posts. If you can drive, communicate well, and can pay cash, most sellers will take you seriously. But when you're starting out, it's important not to look desperate. Don't get scammed.

2. Craigslist savvy. It's unpredictable out there, so be safe, but well-worded enquiry letters have yielded results. I'll let you find the meaning of the Latin phrase "Caveat Emptor".

3. Suitable discrete storage; I used dark fabric garment bags, and eventually luggage with padlocks, nowadays everyone but the TSA will be kept out ; )

4 Online payment account(s) specifically that you can add funds into for these purchases; certain banks have student checking accounts that can be opened between ages 16 and 18 if you don't already have a joint account with someone over 18. I had a friend who helped by letting me use their account before I opened my own.

5. eBay membership, and a cultivated eye for what you want.

Looking forward to hearing your next step!

Learn to be business savvy and smart with your money. Get a part time job. Invest? That SNES is coming out soon, you spend $80 you can turn around and make $200. There are a lot of things you can do to work for the money. Just remember to have fun though, you're still young! School should be a priority but definitely a good starting spot if you have a couple hundred dollars is Resale shop, craigslist, and ebay.

I agree with the other posters here about you being too young to buy your first fur coat. Not to cast aspersions on your character, but teenagers by and large have a tendency to be reckless and irresponsible with their stuff. And furs are too expensive of an item to risk being mishandled. So I think you might be better off if you concentrate on your education now and then buy your first fur when you are out of college and working. You'll learn to appreciate things much more in the future if you are willing to wait for them. So I'm going to pass along the same advice that my parents gave me along with a few things I experienced myself:

1) Be open about your interests. Don't hide your interests in fur from your parents because in the end they will most likely be supportive of your hobbies, even if they don't understand them at first.

2) Spend these years focusing on your studies. But during your time off, do as much research as you can to determine what kind of fur would suit you the best. Visit your local furrier too and have your measurements taken. Make sure they have a fur in your size that you can try on so you can experience what its like to wear a coat for the first time.

3) Start saving your money now because a high quality fur is extremely expensive. Used furs from ebay might be fun, but there is also the inherent risk that you are not getting what you paid for. And there is nothing like going to an actual furrier with decades of experience who can provide you with expert advice and who will make sure that you get the fur of your dreams every step of the way.

4) Don't be afraid to walk around in public with your coat. If you live in a pretty liberal city or town that gets cold in the winter, then no one will be bothered by you if you decide to wear a fur to keep warm. As I said before, its never wise to hide who you really are. Especially when it comes to things you are passionate about. If buying this fur is the end result of a lifetime of interest and patience then you should wear that fur with pride. You've earned it!

Not sure that I agree that you are too young, as long as you understand what you are getting into so to say. My parents bought my first coyote parka for me when I was 10, granted I am a female so this probably made the situation a bit different, as well as climactic necessity. Be that as it may, decide what you want, set a goal and save for it. That is how life works for all of us. The above pointers regarding sources are right on, and I have personally bought many fabulous furs on eBay without any problems whatsoever.

I don't know where you live but here in Montreal, most furriers sell used furs as well. I think that is a great advantage because they fix a fair price according to the actual condition and quality of the fur, you have a lot of choices (different sizes and styles,...) and they give you advice. The experience is really similar to get a new coat: you go to an actual fur shop, choose what you want to try on, ...

I bought a mink bolero for my mother in law for only 250 Canadian dollars. It is in perfect condition, like new after I had the lining changed.

I also went to visit Oliver, who has an eBay store (Oliverfurs), and bought a wonderful mink hat for only 30 Canadian dollars. I was at her place and had the opportunity to try some on and choose the one that fits me. So if you have the opportunity, I think it is better to go to a place like this than buying something at ebay without trying it on.