Chinchilla fur

lynx

I tried on a chinchilla coat at the furrier's the other day. I absolutely loved how soft it was! It's possible I might go back to buy it.

One thing I have heard about chinchilla, though, is that it's much more fragile than other furs and doesn't last very long. Is this always true? Or is it just a matter of taking proper care of it?

It's leather is more fragile and needs more care, sure. The lenght of it's "life" isn't a rule by many factors, but the chances of it being shorter are greater

Red Fox is correct. The hide (leather) of chinchilla pelts is extremely thin and thus rather weak. It will tear or rip rather easily and also will dry out and fall apart faster than most other pelts.

If one likes the texture of chinchilla, but not the cost and prefers a more durable garment I recommend rex rabbit (also called Rex Chinchilla by some furriers).

If one likes the texture of chinchilla, but not the cost and prefers a more durable garment I recommend rex rabbit (also called Rex Chinchilla by some furriers).

Thanks! I'll look into it. Staying away from buying chinchilla will probably be good for my budget too.

We furriers now apply a sticker at the leather side of the chinchillas to hold it together for more durability. Still, the life span of a chinchilla is shorter than mink or fox. But it is an awesome type of fur and no rex rabbit can compare with it (although it is indeed a good budget alternative). If your budget is limited you can PM me to see if I can do it for you for a better price.