Young women wearing fur...

dongleboy

Am I the only person who has noted that young women seem happy to wear real fur these days? Over this winter, I've noticed a few young women wearing jackets or strollers that, I presume, have belonged to mothers or aunts. It's great to see that females of the younger generation are happy to disregard the anti-fur brigade.

Today, my wife and I were in town today. She was wearing her Dior stroller when we noticed two young girls, perhaps late teens or early twenties, wearing a mink jacket and a sable (!) jacket. They walked past us so quickly we didn't have a chance to say anything. (There is NO WAY I would have initiated a conversation, no matter how brief, had I been on my own!)

Anyway, this is the latest in a few recent sightings of the combination of real fur and young women. Long may it continue.

Anyone else noticed?

• Like 1

I think its from the celebrity culture so fully embracing fur. Kim Kardashian comes to mind, but many other style icons and basically the entire hip hop scene embraces fur. Hopefully these young fur lovers grow up to be idolized by the next generation

Yes, most furs I see are being worn by 20 somethings, and much as I dislike celebrity culture, I think it HAS played a part in them wearing fur. When you think about it they are the first generation to have been brought up without fur and they are now discovering it for the first time for themselves, and not allowing the anti fur brigade to decide what they can or can't wear. It is their parents who still do not wear the furs they have in the wardrobe. It's not that they are anti fur now, just too afraid to wear it.

It is their parents who still do not wear the furs they have in the wardrobe. It's not that they are anti fur now, just too afraid to wear it.

Maybe fur is also a statement of anti-establishment for the younger.

I also recognized some young ladies wearing fur. Some years ago, there were basically none.

• 5 months later...

Fox fur production doubled last year and is set to double again by this year's harvest. 25% of women own at least some sort of fur. Farmed fur is actually so cheap now it is cheaper than faux fur (not joking). Many people who think they are buying fake are buying real. A lot are even mislabeled. Definitely many young women wear fur now, clearly more than 1/4 of them. Where I am in winter over half the women have fur boots or a jacket lining, with the occasional coat. Plenty of fur accessories are seen too, especially on teens.

Pay a visit to St Maritz's in winter and view young Russian socialites parading around in their expensive sables, lynxes, and chinchillas, to them the maar thought of not wearing fur would be incomprehensible, the anti fur brigade are probably banned form the place anyway.