Form fitting Vs 'bulk'?

Jimfoxyboy

I was wondering what sort of fur related clothing or items people like to wear, or look at. Not the type of fur, I've seen posts related to that quite a bit already. I was thinking more towards, would it be something a little snug, form fitting. Or, perhaps something a little bulky, large floppy, round sleeves? Maybe something in the middle? I know one side of the scale, you could call it 'body fitting'? Don't know what you could call the other end, I'm failing at what it would be, at the moment of posting this.

For me, I'd have to say it be more towards the snug fitting sort of thing. Both looking at and wearing. Maybe because my experience is a little limited. I was working on a little something to wear, which was form fitting and that what got me thinking about this.

I believe that generally the opposite of "form fitting" would be loose fitting. With fur, form fitting is usually NOT recommended as it is much too easy to rip the garment if it is not somewhat loose.

I believe that generally the opposite of "form fitting" would be loose fitting. With fur, form fitting is usually NOT recommended as it is much too easy to rip the garment if it is not somewhat loose.

Well, ok, sorry. Maybe not quite /that/ tight fitting. Just something that snugs the body, shows some curves, but also still allows movement and flexibility. I should have maybe been a little more clear, the idea was in my head but wasn't sure how to put it down. I know too tight wouldn't work so well, the material is quite fragile..

I hate any type of fur that is too tapered. As AKcoyote stated if a fur is too tight, then rips and tears could form almost immediately. Especially around the armpits, shoulders and across the back. But just from a comfort standpoint a coat or jacket with a more relaxed fit is much easier to wear than a coat that is too tapered. loose fitting coats don't feel like they are restricting your movements, your skin can breath better because a tight coat will trap more heat, and they just look nicer if they are a little oversized.

Last week I was at a wholesale furrier and the sales lady was trying to make the standard pitch to a woman who was interested in a mink stroller. The customer was clearly interested in a more form fitting garment, the sales lady made no attempt at all to get her to switch to a larger size, but the customer's husband who was there with her was sort of egging her on. I knew it was not my place to interfere with this sales lady because I didn't work there but I could not stop myself from approaching this customer and her husband to remind her that an oversized fur is less in danger of being damaged through skin contact and restricted movements. And I also told her that a fur coat is basically designed to be ovesized and dramatic looking. If you take away that drama, you take away the very soul of this coat along with the reason it was constructed in the first place, and concluded that she would be much happier with a fur that is a size or two larger than the one she was currently trying on.

Hmm... well a quick search in the forum's gallery, I did come across two pictures that help to give a somewhat rough idea, hope its ok to post links to them here. They were from the general rated gallery.

... I should have really just said 'snug fitting' than form fitting..

http://thefurden.com/tfd/phpbb3/app.php/gallery/image/405

vs

http://thefurden.com/tfd/phpbb3/app.php/gallery/image/360

I quite agree that loose fitting is the better way to wear one's FUR.

I have just takedn delvery of a MINK coat (from ebay) that has a sweep of 2.7m. My other 2 MINK coats have sweeps of 2m or over.

With a loose fitting coat it's possible and very useful to wear another coat underneath. On one of my MINK coats I had the sleeves removed (professionally), and now wear this as a gilet under my top MINK coat.

Also with a loose coat it is easy to wear a FUR scarf, my current favourites are:- short SABLE scarf; long (2.5m) multi-coloured FOX; short FINN-RACOON scarf.

Robert

I think I caught a comment else where, someone saying if you get a fur, it has to be made to look dramatic, hence the loose, large and flowing, cape like designs. I don't know, maybe its just me, I don't think everything has to be 'dramatic'.

My 0.02 - "bigger is better," probably more than most can reasonably expect. My tolerance for "big" (fluffy? bulky?) is ridiculously high - I would say to the point where the human form is barely distinguishable. If you know of the Photoshops of the "Dragon," you already know what I mean.

Many years ago, I had a very pretty Jewish girlfriend who used to borrow her mother's over sized mink coat. I loved it when she would sit down, wriggle out of the coat without heeding its welfare before lighting a cigarette.