Wearing fur to a Vienna Waltzball

Furbabe

Hello, Fur Lovers.

I'd like some feedback from those of you who're in the know. Perhaps you've been to such an event.

I am doing preliminary homework for a possible trip to Vienna, Austria in 2018 to attend one of the waltz balls (not the Opernball-

too expensive and, from what I've read, too crowded). I'm thinking perhaps Aertzeball or something similar. At any rate, I'm aware

of the cold weather in January and February, and I'm also aware that there are crazy animal activists in Europe (I've seen pix of

these folks outfitted as animals protesting the Jaegerball [hunter's ball]. Would I be safe wearing a full length fur coat around

Vienna during daylight hours? I wanted to visit one of the dance schools for a last minute brush up on my waltzing, visit a café, and

visit St. Stefan's. Would anyone give me nasty looks, say something ugly, or even attempt an assault. Would there be hostile

glances at the ball before checking the coat? I don't care for unpleasant surprises so therefore I need information and advice. I will

be going alone, btw.

I have no experience from the subject, but i would guess that it's a small risk that you would be attacked physically. Most people do not engage in criminal behavior. I don't think you would get any remarks either, but if you do, so what? Just smile and say "I don't care about it". I don't think they're interested in hearing another point of view, they just want to proclaim their own views. I've been thinking about it a lot recently and decided that this is the season I will start wearing fur. But I'm also a guy, and if someone would attack me physically I would defend myself.

My wife has worn fur in many capital cities and has never had ANY problem. If anyone does say anything simply smile sweetly and say 'is it worth calling the vet?'

Have a great time.

• Like 1

Unsure of the people situation there. But.....glad to see you back and posting here on The Fur Den, furbabe. It seems like it's been a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies and the welcome back. I feel a bit more confident now having read your comments...and Marcel, I wish that you could go along.

As far as I know/imagine our friends from Vienna, they got no problem with fur. I admit that I just have been there in summer, but Germany is next door.

If you go in 2018, you can watch out for street pics and Ball pics this year.

oh, I just did so. Maybe Jägerball is the wrong Ball if you feel uncomfortable with protesters.

http://www.vienna.at/mehre-personen-bei-demo-gegen-den-jaegerball-in-wien-mit-saeure-attackiert/3842622

Somehow a guy attacked the protestors (sic) with acid. Although I am pro Anti-Anti-Fur-Protest, attacking people physically is stupid or, ehhh, inhuman or even animalic.

Nevertheless I still defend the tolerance of Austrians (and I've been racially insulted over there (Piefke) and the FPÖ is on the rise).

And it seems that everybody on Jägerball is very a traditional dress.

I suggest Ärzteball:

http://webmisc.oe24.at/society24/fotos/5891_507674.jpg

Thank you for the replies and the welcome back. I feel a bit more confident now having read your comments...and Marcel, I wish that you could go along.

Oh,i'm sure you find another gentleman there,when you show up in your fine fur AND is better at avoiding stepping on your toes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just go for it... You may get some "looks" but normally people just don't give a shit. Don't think about it too much and enjoy... There are not that many animal protesters...

Good luck and I do hope you have a ball.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, Fur Lovers.

I'd like some feedback from those of you who're in the know. Perhaps you've been to such an event.

I am doing preliminary homework for a possible trip to Vienna, Austria in 2018 to attend one of the waltz balls (not the Opernball-

too expensive and, from what I've read, too crowded). I'm thinking perhaps Aertzeball or something similar. At any rate, I'm aware

of the cold weather in January and February, and I'm also aware that there are crazy animal activists in Europe (I've seen pix of

these folks outfitted as animals protesting the Jaegerball [hunter's ball]. Would I be safe wearing a full length fur coat around

Vienna during daylight hours? I wanted to visit one of the dance schools for a last minute brush up on my waltzing, visit a café, and

visit St. Stefan's. Would anyone give me nasty looks, say something ugly, or even attempt an assault. Would there be hostile

glances at the ball before checking the coat? I don't care for unpleasant surprises so therefore I need information and advice. I will

be going alone, btw.

Being an Austrian, and having attended the Opera a few times in the last few weeks, I can say, that there are quite a few people wearing fur. We mostly mind our own businesses and don't confront people about things easily. So go ahead, come to Vienna and enjoy a great evening at one of the balls. Should I be there and spot someone wearing fur, I'm gonna go talk to them!

I was in vienna several yrs ago for Christmas and have NEVER seen soooo much fur. Mostly minks.some fox and the occasional sable and chinchilla. GO FOR IT. Most fur friendly plce ive ever seen!!