dyed furs?

paul2809

They say it's more expensive but the furs used to dye are lower quality... I have noticed tha dyed fox furs tend to have stronger hair...

Generally coats or other garments are not dyed. Tanned pelts are dyed and closely matching ones are used to construct the garment.

Yes, frequently lower quality or off-color for the specie pelts are dyed. And yes lower quality pelts used for dying will frequently have coarser hair.

Thank you.. id love to eventually have a fur coat dyed to purple... either mink or fox.. its a dream, thats all

NOT... Correct at all some fox fur are! Of the VERY highest quality if you know where to buy them from...

Eh they tend to use the lowest quality but it all depends on the brand you buy and the country of origin which play a bigger part. But generally yes they use low quality. You wouldn't use a beautiful fox of gorgeous color and dye it, think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

In some cases, depending on the color you want to get, a furrier could get pelts a little cheaper and dye them. But in many cases you need a truely great color and quality to achieve a good dye. What I mean by examples:

- If we wanted to dye a mink fur at dark purple color we do not need the whitest mink pelts, but we can do it with less-white (even yellowish pelts), that are cheaper just for a few dollars.

- If we wanted to dye a bright yellow or a nice pink color, nothing else than pure white color would do.

The quality of the pelts in both scenarios is the same quality a furrier uses for his coats. If the furrier used the cheaper stuff in his other garments, then he'll dye cheap stuff too. But, contrary to what some said, a furrier that only uses top quality pelts would dye the same top quality as well.

And now regarding the prices. All dyes do have a cost. It is nothing excessive though, but enough to cover the extra 'discount' the furrier got to get the off-white stuff. So a furrier would probably ask for the same price for the color/dye as he would ask for the same garment in a white mink or more. But it depends on many factors. For example a specialy made coat is usually something charged extra, especially if the color is not an existing one and the furrier has to dye the pelts just for the customer. In those cases the furrier has to dye an excess of pelts and not the exact amount needed for one garment.

Hope I helped.

So, quality of dyes is quality of pelts used for the dye and could be top quality or low quality.

Price depends on the furrier. Could be the same or higher (rarely less)

If you have any other questions we'd be happy to help. You can also P.M me for more.

You can also check some purple foxes at our catalogue here:

http://www.mailonfurs.com/fox/other.html

• 3 weeks later...

Paul2809, As far as I understand, you are thinking of having a coat that has already been made dyed, whereas Kostas and others are talking about having pelts dyed and then made into a coat. I know cloth coats and jackets can be dyed but I don't think it is possible to have a finished coat dyed. You need to start with dyed pelts and then make a coat afterwards, I suppose.

Samurman is correct. As pelts vary as to how they accept dye, it would be difficult if not impossible to get a uniform color dying a pre-made coat. Part of the furriers art is matching pelts to not only achieve uniform texture, but uniform color of the finished garment.

Samurman and AKcoyote raised some good points here, however, since the already made coat will have perfectly matched pelts it is possible to dye it to a different color. THe final result will not be as good as matching the pelts alone, but still it would be good enough.

However the coat must NOT be old or dry cause the dye will damage them! I would also avoid an already dyed coat (e.g. a yellow coat to be made into black) as twice the dye job would harm it.

Last, a dark brown color is possible, close to mahogany, but of course it won't be as the natural mahogany mink color. It also depends on the color of the original coat of course. Most common dye for preowned furs is black for obvious reasons.