Extremely important question for all members...

White Fox

Would you like to delete messages in some forums to allow for fewer archives?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to delete messages in some forums to allow for fewer archives?

• I would like to see messages deleted from forums like Off Topic so that messages in the Den are Archived less often.
    • I would like all messages kept in as many forums as possible with more frequent archives.

Linda...

To answer your questions. If (come fall) we delete some posts from certain forums, we will drop the total posts and threads in the Den as a whole. With less posts we will not have to archive as quickly.

We now have one Archive and the Den here. When we Archive again, we will have two Archives and the Den. Each is an individual unit with it's own search. So, after we Archive again, it would take three searches (one on each area) to do a complete search of the site on a topic. One in the Den area we are using right now. One on the Archive from Melody. And one for each Archive we have had to do after this time.

Hope that is clear. At midnight it isn't always. Again, nothing will be done til Fall. You will notice for instance that we are deleting retired messages in the Marketplace forum.

W

WF... but the Marketplace is the Marketplace.... it is expected that old items will be deleted, especially if sold.

We are talking about bit and bytes.... and the space that two thousand words takes up would be less than one or two images in the proposed Pic Library. The thing about this place is that it is a living organism; text-based for sure, but still living.

Pictures can always be replaced, whereas words and thoughts are transient in nature and therefore should be treasured, no matter how banal they may appear at first reading.

Don't get the horse in front of the wagon here folks.

#1. We are not going to do anything until Fall.

#2. We may or may not do it then. The purpose of this thread was to ask people what they thought of it. When the time comes if we decide it is a possibility we will ask for a little more input, and then make a decision on that. First off, nothing will even be considered until fall, and even if we decide that we should even consider it at that time we will allow discussion then. And from the feedback on this thread that is unlikely.

Mr B. Maybe I didn't word things well again. I was only mentioning Marketplace as an example. This is indeed not done to save space. It is done to keep the forum clean.

W

Not for nothing, but what exactly does this expression mean? Is it endemic to Canada? I always thought the horse belongs in front of the wagon. Please explain. TIA

Thelma

I think what WF was trying to say is "don't run off with the horse, UNTIL the wagon has been hitched to it".. or somesuch.

Not for nothing, but what exactly does this expression mean? Is it endemic to Canada? I always thought the horse belongs in front of the wagon. Please explain. TIA

Thelma

Me too Thelma! When I read that I thought: Huh?

WF, have you been drinking, too!!

Linda

Sorry folks. I was tired this morning.

Should have read (as Mr B said) "Don't get the cart before the horse". (Or wagon, which ever you prefer.)

Since this is the "Pub forum". Old expressions like that can be interesting. As many of you know there was an old wagon used all over North America which was called "The Contestoga Wagon". The wagon masters of those wagons used to pass their long hours on those bumpy inhospitable wagons by chewing on and smoking absolutely huge cigars. Of course since it was a Contestoga wagon, the cigars became knows as....

Stogies.

W

(and no it does not have anything to do with the thread above!)