The Fur Den's direction needs your help!

neoJaguar

I sincerely hope the site is working to everyone's liking, and we are covering most of the features you want to have in the forum.

Here's the time where I've run out of ideas, and need everyone's help.

Is there more/less that you guys want to have here on the site? Features I haven't implemented? Ability to do "insert thing here" that I haven't come up with?

I'm here for you guys, and I want to make sure this place stays around, but is also functional.

Any, and ALL ideas are very welcome.

Thanks everyone,

nJ

Something that neo did not mention is the front page or WordPress part of the site. We could put FUR related articles up there if any of you care to write one. I am thinking of something a bit similar to what the fourrureclub site has on their front page.

If I recall correctly, I think the old den site had a pretty informative front page (I hate to admit it, but I may be mixing this up with the old FFG site). There were a lot of useful links. There were links to sellers - Purpleshoshana, ElsaFur, etc. There were links to adult sites - TheLoveOfFur, fetishmistressuk, etc. There were links to other fora like fourrureclub. And still plenty other subsets I can't think of right now. Admittedly, it was a bit crowded, but everything was nicely aggregated.

A really simple way to add photos to the forum posts would be great. Currently, whenever I want to post an image, I use a web service such as imagebam, imageshack or postimage. Once I upload a picture to those sites, they readily give me the necessary BB codes to paste to a forum post, which I do and voila! The photos appear in my posts with thumbnails, and when someone clicks them they can see the full resolution image easily.

The downside of this method is that there is no guarantee that these web sites will be around in six months' time, or that they will keep our photos for months. But they are easy to use. Hence many people prefer them instead of uploading images to the Den's galery and then figure out a way to use those images in forum posts.

Let me also make a general remark, which I have made a few times before whenever this "How to make the Den a great place" topic comes up. 10 years ago, when the Den underwent a reorganization, the internet was a totally different place. At the time, forums pretty much ruled the internet when it came to community building. Hence, the competition the Fur Den faced was simply other forums and sites. Nowadays, there is social media. Facebook is full of fur groups and lots of fur lovers. One could spend the whole day on facebook and not be able to consume all the content on offer there. There is instagram, where lots of fur loving ladies love to pose in their sumptuous furs. It is quite an enjoyable experience to leave comments on those instagram ladies' photos. This is something the Fur Den cannot compete with. There is pinterest, where there are some individuals who have collected more than 10 thousand fur images! Flickr gives everyone 1TB of disk space to upload photos. Youtube has thousands of fur videos.

My point is that 10 years ago, if you were looking for fur photos, videos etc, the forums were the only places you could get your fix. Today, no longer so. This is the most important point to keep in mind.

So if you ask me "What do you propose?" I have no easy recipe. But I think envisioning the Fur Den not as a closed web site but as a community that connects with all these social networks is a must.

If I recall correctly, I think the old den site had a pretty informative front page (I hate to admit it, but I may be mixing this up with the old FFG site).
Sorry Fox, but you might be thinking of some other site. The old Den front page was a message from FrBrGr. You might be thinking of what we called the Library which was a wiki with a links section and other furry info,

If I recall correctly, I think the old den site had a pretty informative front page.

FFG had the page with a ton of links, and the ability to submit sites to it. I have that option currently, but only a few links are up there.

A really simple way to add photos to the forum posts would be great.

This already exists. You can either place the link to a photo just by placing the photo html link, or you can upload it to our gallery. The gallery has a spot for you to copy the bbcode, and place it into the forum.

So if you ask me "What do you propose?" I have no easy recipe. But I think envisioning the Fur Den not as a closed web site but as a community that connects with all these social networks is a must.

The reason I fear of connecting social media to us is PETA, and other wackos who want to come just to troll and/or destroy.

I've attempted to spread our link out in different venues, but have come up short.

A really simple way to add photos to the forum posts would be great.

This already exists. You can either place the link to a photo just by placing the photo html link, or you can upload it to our gallery. The gallery has a spot for you to copy the bbcode, and place it into the forum.

A really simple way is a upload button that then you click on it start to browse your PC.

It can be stored in the gallery or at another host.

FFG had the page with a ton of links, and the ability to submit sites to it. I have that option currently, but only a few links are up there.

How many can be added there?

Perhaps some improvements in the chat room. I have been unable to private chat with multiple members at the same time. It could be operator error on my part.

It might be worth getting rid of the "Candid Shots" gallery, and just lumping all of those pictures into the "Fur Fashion" gallery. Going through the Candid gallery, it seems to me nobody knows the meaning of the word "candid".

And speaking of the gallery, would it be possible to make the thumbnails hyperlinks to the galleries and the enlarged photos as opposed to just the titles? I don't know how many times I've clicked on a thumbnail trying to access a gallery or larger version of a photo.

Oh! I have a neat idea. But this may very well be a pipe dream.

Maybe we could do a regular post (monthly maybe?) where some notable member of the fur community writes a paragraph or two about what it is about fur that appeals to them. Some people that come to mind would be Lady Fur, Fetish Mistress, Mailon, Mistress Aleana, and Mr. Mockle (or heck, maybe even some of the models from these sites), the seller from Purple Shoshana, and maybe even some of our favorite eBay sellers (e.g. ElsaFur, DariaPelliccerie). It could be a "Spotlight" thread. It would be another way for these people to interact with their fans, but it could also be a way for them to advertise their sites some more.

It could be kinda' neat if it could even go so far as a reddit-style IAmA ("Internet, Ask me Anything"), but I fear we'd see the same tired, old questions, and some people could easily take it too far.

Perhaps some improvements in the chat room. I have been unable to private chat with multiple members at the same time. It could be operator error on my part.

im very limited on what i can do with the chatroom as i did not write the chat software. im at the mercy of that company, and when they choose to update. i've personally never had an issue chatting with multiples, but i wouldn't say there isn't some issues with the software.

It might be worth getting rid of the "Candid Shots" gallery, and just lumping all of those pictures into the "Fur Fashion" gallery. Going through the Candid gallery, it seems to me nobody knows the meaning of the word "candid".

And speaking of the gallery, would it be possible to make the thumbnails hyperlinks to the galleries and the enlarged photos as opposed to just the titles? I don't know how many times I've clicked on a thumbnail trying to access a gallery or larger version of a photo.

I can move the photos. Some don't put photos where they should either way lol...

As far as the gallery and how it works - Again, like the chat - I'm limited to what it can do due to specific software. I'll look into the settings, but I'm not super sure if I can change anything.

Oh! I have a neat idea. But this may very well be a pipe dream.

Maybe we could do a regular post (monthly maybe?) where some notable member of the fur community writes a paragraph or two about what it is about fur that appeals to them. Some people that come to mind would be Lady Fur, Fetish Mistress, Mailon, Mistress Aleana, and Mr. Mockle (or heck, maybe even some of the models from these sites), the seller from Purple Shoshana, and maybe even some of our favorite eBay sellers (e.g. ElsaFur, DariaPelliccerie). It could be a "Spotlight" thread. It would be another way for these people to interact with their fans, but it could also be a way for them to advertise their sites some more.

It could be kinda' neat if it could even go so far as a reddit-style IAmA ("Internet, Ask me Anything"), but I fear we'd see the same tired, old questions, and some people could easily take it too far.

Would be lovely... Problem is - out of all of those.. two, or three actually post. None of which are online long enough to post other than their advertisement in their respective areas. Not ruling it out... I'll definitely reach out to them.

im very limited on what i can do with the chatroom as i did not write the chat software. im at the mercy of that company, and when they choose to update. i've personally never had an issue chatting with multiples, but i wouldn't say there isn't some issues with the software.

Thank Neo for the response. I just have to play with chat some more and get used to it.

Would it be okay to add a feather section, since we have a section for wool and angora?
We really do NOT have a wool & angora section. That is just a link as a courtesy to a sister site that the FurDen was associated with many years ago.

We do not have the resources to cover additional fetishes.

Would it be okay to add a feather section, since we have a section for wool and angora?
We really do NOT have a wool & angora section. That is just a link as a courtesy to a sister site that the FurDen was associated with many years ago.

We do not have the resources to cover additional fetishes.

Okay then

I'd be ok with opening an Other Fetishes section.. though it would kind of lump a bunch of stuff into it. Thoughts?

I feed my other fetishes at another sites,don't know if there is a feather one.

I know that there was a guy who really enjoyed pizza in the fleece section at the old FFG.