difference between sea otter fur and river otter fur

Guest manywonderfulfurs

Sea otter fur is MUCH finer than river otter fur. The difference in quality is astounding.

Let me elaborate.

Sea otter fur is black on the surface, and is sparsely covered with long, very soft, glistening guard hairs. The underfur is a beautiful, glowing, golden-brown color. It is the densest mammalian fur; it feels like the softest, most luxurious silk velvet. Sea otter fur is puffy looking.

River otter fur is usually dark brown, but can come in milk chocolate color. The short guard hairs are very numerous and coarse and shiny. The underfur is super soft. River otter fur is sleek and flat.

Vince

• 2 years later...
Sea otter fur...is the densest mammalian fur

Does that mean it's even softer than chinchilla?

(Sorry, I'm just fascinated by the different degrees of softness)

I love Otter! Really cannot be compared to Chinchilla at all. Chinchilla is very fragile and fine texture.

Otter wears like iron because it is so dense. But it is silky soft in texture. I was reading an interesting article tonight on Otter being introduced into Louisiana. See if I can find it for you.

Sea otter fur...is the densest mammalian fur

Does that mean it's even softer than chinchilla?

No, in my experience, sea otter hairs are a bit coarser than chinchilla and thus not as soft.

Depends on what you mean by soft.

I have several coats of River Otter and Alaska Fur Seal. No Sea Otter however.

I had a fur lined jacket made for a young female friend of mine with the sheared River Otter and it is quite fantastic. Not as soft as my sheared Alaska Fur Seal lined jacket however.

I have had ample opportunity to actually compare the Alaska Fur Seal to Chinchilla at Ungar Furs. Horst did my jacket.

The Chinchilla is certainly soft(er) but it has no 'body' like Fox or Lynx for instance which I think is the finest of all furs.

The super soft but dense velvet-like texture of the sheared Alaska Fur Seal is much nicer to the touch than Chinchilla in my mind.

OFF

• 9 years later...

My boyfriend has a river otter stroller, and it is one of his favourite fur coats. He has a matching hat as well. He loves the style, colour, and ruggedness. Personally, I am much more fond of his coyote stroller. Much softer!

Does otter fur tolerate more use in the rain, than other fur?

Is it even resistant to water?

The simple answer is no.

While the hair of the pelts could possibly. withstand rain, the tanned leather under the hair cannot. A small bit of moisture on the hair that can be shook off when you get back inside is not necessarily a problem, but rain that soaks through to the leather can ruin a garment.

If a fur gets moist, shake off the excess moisture and let it naturally air dry AWAY from ANY heat source!