Should I include fur in my children's book?

Guest manywonderfulfurs

I am writing a children's novel. It's called Acabade. Pronounced Ah Cah Bade (past tense of bid as in to bid farewell). I have 7 pages written. My goal is at least 120 pages. This book has a GREAT story. I have complete faith that it will become a bestseller.

Should I include fur in it? Should I even mention fur in it? Right now, I have included a scarf made from the very soft underwool fiber of a rare animal (kind of like the vicu

If it's from the wool and not the pelt, include it without reservation.

If it is from the pelt, include it if you can do it tastefully.

In other words, look at it from the point of view: "Chickens lay eggs, Cows give milk, Pigs make bacon, Animals give fur."

Make it matter of fact and to the point but don't go into details unless it's for older children who can understand better.

A difficult one!

Most childrens books see things in black and white and "fur is cruel" usually comes over very strongly in books, films, tv etc.

the result is that we have a generation of brainwashed people who do not understand nature , anthropomorphise, and have a warped sense of maorlaity where they think mugging and vid slapping is okay but fur is wrong.

So it needs to be adressed and I am in favour of making children think about morality in the same wau as Aesops fables used to. They were antropomorphic, but require sophistication in working out the moral of the tale.

For example, there was the fox who couldnt reach the juicy sweet grapes that hung above a wall and he treid everything to get them . The result was he finally gave up, exhausted, and said "they were probably sour anyway"

Hence the mindest of the politik of envy.

However most books are so morally simplistic they can be compared to childrens books in Nazi germany. They are about very balck and white issues and give no option to think.

Mind, you do get kids who backlash against it. When I first saw "101 dalmatians" as a smal boy I went home with a huge tent thinking how amazing cruella de Ville was. I was hooked on fur and smoking!!!

So an icon of evil can be good!!!!

So maybe you should go for an evil bitch character in fur

that will ensure another generation of admirers!!

Or, you can choose to represent a positive light.

One thing for sure is not to pretend fur doesnt exist, or represent it as a moral issue just to be politically correct. You could even show for example a band of hunting peoples and the animlas they hunt fighting loggers together ....now there is an idea for a kids book.

If there are animal charcacters in your book for example why not represent them as being proud their furs are worn by beautiful women?

Or you can show the animla as sexy in the fur they have.....like representing a fox as a fur clad foxy babe......easy done...black hocks (stockings?)and blue fox coat on a fox could look good represented in a Jessica rabbit type way. I dont know...lots of ways to handle it.

By the way all you budding kids book writers.........I know a great illustrator

Hello, everyone. Just to make it clear, my book is a novel, NOT a picture book.

There is no villain in the book, just a young boy named Acabade who goes on a wonderful journey of self-discovery all the while proving his love for his mother. Acabade's father cheats on his mother, but he is not villified. My treatment of him is rather sympathetic. I have been going through A LOT of family turmoil, mostly involving me and my father. A lot of yelling and crying. It's not easy being the son of a traditional Chinese immigrant from Vietnam. My novel will incorporate autobiographical details of my life into Acabade's story.

I hope this is enough clarification for everyone.

Thank you all.

Vince

If your target audience is old enough to understand the dysfunctional family relationship they are old enough to understand fur.

Treat it in a direct but tactful manner. You should be all right.

My sympathies go out to you with the dysfunctional father relationship. I assume you are using this novel as a tool to heal yourself, yes? I hope it works for you. Know this: You are not alone.