POLL: Chat possibilities

AKcoyote

What is your preference for a chat facility?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for a chat facility?

• PhpFreeChat with generated nicknames
    • An XMPP server such as Ejabberd
    • The mChat (Mini-Chat) extension to phpBB
    • I don't care just so there is a chat
    • I do not use chat, so whatever

We are still working to fix the integration of PhpFreeChat with phpBB 3.1.x. However as that may take some time to find how to fix that issue, I would like to get your opinion on chat alternatives.

I have been looking into the possibility of using Ejabberd as a chat server. This uses the XMPP protocol and would require chatters to have an IM client program such as those on the following list: http://xmpp.org/xmpp-software/clients/ Ejabberd would provide the capability of private as well as public chats and possibly an alternative method of sending notifications to members.

Another option is to change PhpFreeChat to have it generate a random nickname rather than try to use your Den username as the nickname. Once Chat is loaded, you could use the /nick command to set a new nickname if you do not like being Guestxxxx where xxxx is a random number.

As very few bothered to vote in the poll and/or post comments, I have decided to re-enable PhpFreeChat but WITHOUT any link to the Den's user database. This means you will get a Guestxxx nickname when entering chat where xxx is a random number. You can use the "/nick" command (example: /nick new-nickname) to change your chat nickname to whatever you like. We recommend you use your Den user-name so others might recognize who they are chatting with.

I've been away for a while limited computer access. I think the old chat was easy. Could PM "on the fly". But as neoJag said, what ever is easiest for you AK.

Hppay with chat being back just have create a user name works for me and now am happy so will be making a donation necxt week for the site not sure how much but when does will be challenging all to meet or beat it