I've a question

White Fox

Have you ever visited the Rules area?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever visited the Rules area?

• On this site?
    • No, I have never looked at the rules on this site.
    • On other fur sites like Fashion Forum?
    • No I have never looked at the rules on other sitese

Folks, we would like to know if you have ever visited the rules area on this site or other fur sites. This will help us with site development.

Please do not think we are going to get angry in any way if folks have not visited these areas! It simply helps us to know these things in site development.

White Fox

I am surprised how many people have looked at our rules here. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve the rules area please let us know. We always like to hear from folks on what people like here and above all what they do NOT Like. And if you haven't taken part in the poll yet, that would really help us to know your thoughts here.

W

I haven't because I know how to be a decent human being
For many people good online etiquette is a natural behaviour. But because there will always be a few who like to start flame wars or otherwise be obnoxious, there needs to be a written definition of what the site owner will and will not allow. Such a set of rules can be a helpful reference to new members.

As White Fox indicated our rules may need updating and any comments about the existing rules are welcomed. We may with the upgrade of the forums software be able to reorganize the rules to make them easier to reference. This might also allow us to do a bit of cleanup on the look of some of the individual forums.

I think common courtesy is the best way to go about being a member to any site. However I notice men really tend to push their agenda on women more so in circles that are fetish websites.

The thing is that courtesy does not cover how to post links to photographs, or how large images that we allow in our forums. Nor does it tell you how many links we allow in signatures or how you can actually advertise legally in our main Den forum only occasionally or where you can do that more often.

White Fox actually touched on 2 areas that need to be a bit separate - rules that state what can and cannot be done, and how-to(s) stating how to accomplish items that are not intuitive (such as posting links to images in our Fur Fashion gallery).

Maybe it's just me but even though my eyes have wandered past the big pink box a hundred times, I really didn't register that it said "Forum rules". The thing is that it contains a lot of different colors and sizes of text and my brain just registers the big black text. I probably studied the box more carefully the first time but put off the reading for later and my two braincells then went ahead and forgot about it.

There are also two sets of rules (board rules and forum rules) in two different places and it wasn't apparent to me that there was a difference. When you said 'rules' I thought I had actually read them using the link just under the top banner. It wasn't until White Fox mentioned image sizes etc. that I realized I must have missed something. I wasn't able to locate the rules immediately though because I thought the rules had to be somewhere near the top of the Den entry point where there actually is no pink box.

Well that's just an account of how I failed to quickly look up information and I am really also a newbie after 9 years of absence. Perhaps it could serve as a basis on how to improve information accessibility for us dimwits and in all honesty I had to answer "no".

The biggest problem is that we need to re-organize our various rules and how-to(s) and update them where needed.

• The "Rules" link in the page header (aka: board rules) is a new feature (actually an extension to phpBB 3.1) that we are trying, but haven't done much with it yet. I am waiting for feedback from the other staff as to their opinions on that feature. As we can require new members (during registration) to read (or at least agree to) those rules I think it is a good place to state that one should be of legal age to participate on this board, and state a few general guidelines.
  • The "pink box" (aka: "Forum rules") near the top of every page in a forum is an older feature where we mostly have links to rules and how-to pages in our wiki (Library) some of the pages in the wiki and some of the Forum rules blocks probably need updating, but we haven't yet taken the time to review them.

Comments on what should be updated, or removed, or added to are always welcome.

i think the second one is more a tutorial.
Actually we have mixed rules and tutorials making things a bit more confusing.

Our original rules area was laid out almost exactly like the rules area under the "Rules" button on top of the pages here today. People hated it. It was all together in one area. It sounded like "You can't do this or that!" "Well, what can you do here?" So no one paid attention to it at all. It was an absolute disaster. So, then we made the rules area in our Library where we could link to it, and where we could make it more attractive. However, then we made the pink boxes and added the rules tab again up top and it kind of all got "Mixed up again". So we need to figure out how to re-organize it and which of the formats to keep, etc. The Library for instance is the version that is much more attractive and gives more options, but it is bigger. It may be time to go back to the original format, using available options to add photographs into there, etc, to make it so it actually LOOKS inviting again.

Well, so much for the boring message. Was really glad to see how many people actually read or tried to read our rules.