Living Will discussion

ReFur

Got this email from a girlfriend today. Thought it might make you smile!

While I was watching the NFL playoff games one weekend, my wife and I got into a conversation about life and death, and the need for living wills.

During the course of the conversation I told her that I never wanted to exist in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and taking fluids from a bottle.

She got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all my beer.

That's pretty much where I am now. Litterally.

Yeah..

*sips beer*

Everyone ready for a new tipsy-ear this evening? ;-P

Earendil;

Like the stoned visions of my youth. Read last weekends thoughts and see if they are as profound as you thought they were at the time.

I use to look at those "messages" we would write to ourselves and wonder .. "What the hell was I thinking about at the time?"

Like the line from "Dark side of the Moon" "Seemed like a good idea at the time?"

Occasionally I would come upwith a good idea for a painting or design though.

OFF

To be serious having a living will is one of the best things you can have.

That will keep you off life suport when the end comes for you.

Ive almost had to use mine twice.

Without one your screwed.

My wife and I have an agreement: If the doctor says there is no hope, we get a second opinion. If that doctor agrees we wait for 30 days. If there is no improvement in that period of time it is a sure bet there won't ever be. Besides, we both believe that, if a person has been on life support for that period of time, if they wake up his/her quality of life is likely to be severely compromised. They would probably need 'round the clock care for the rest of their life.

We figure the "Wait 30 days, then pull the plug" plan is the best way to go.

Well, there are some who've accused me of being in a persistent vegetative state for about the last 30 years, but that's another story!

Living wills are a cornerstone of one's estate plan along with a power of attorney and a will. Here in Florida, they've taken on even more importance as the events of the Schiavo case unfolded over the last couple of years.

Many folks here in the US have living wills. Those that don't need to go down to your local trust and estate attorney and have own prepared. It's crucial - as beautifulfurs pointed out - that one's wishes regarding his/her own 'fate' are expressed, and that one designate another person to make medical decisions if he/she is unable to do so.

One final comment - if you had a living will prepared in the United States more than one year ago (and even if it had been prepared recently) take it out and read it! Be sure that it contains a provision expressly waiving the privacy protection offered by our HIPA (health insurance portablity act) statute. That law prevents virtually anyone, other than the patient, to have access to the patient's medical records. If HIPA is not expressly addressed in your living will, then the person that you name to carry out your health care decisions may not be entitled to see your medical records. Insane but true...

Our legal lesson is concluded. That'll be $250.

FLinFL

You really have to be careful here. I know there are docs who see paients as organ donors.

A friend a few years ago had an incredible amonut of pressure put in her to have a friends sons life support swithsed off. he had an organ donor card, and they were talking about his organs saving another life and there was no prospect for him. She refused. The lad was in a coma for two years, and then cam eout gradually, after her holding gis hands and sensinh movement for months....the doocs said impossible. When he finally came ouit he did have some brain damage, which has resulted in slightly slurred speech, and a limp. But otherwise he is fine and said he was conscious of his mother squeezing his hand but could do nothing.

I also kmow a jockey that was in a coma for nine months and is now okay. Again they called for life support to be switched off due to organ donation possibility. BE VERY CAREFUL

Touch,

A living will in the US does not take position on what your wishes are. It simply is a legal form to communicate these wishes without courts getting involved. Or, family members fighting about it.

We have had some very ugly, public cases here.

Linda

This topic made me think of Bender in Futurama.

He was being chased by a group of zombies;

Zombie - Come on Bender, join us in death; death is such a wonderful thing.

Bender - Oh yeh, that's what they told me about life!

Linda,

Instead of charging to your account, would it be possible to use it as a credit toward the purchase of one of your coats???????

FLinFL

Its also best to have an extra copy that can be gotten to at any time, especialy with hospitals protocalls these days.

Trust me as much time I have spent in hospitals these past 5 years,Ive seen it all.