Can somone identify this fur coat for me?

dr_scotty

I am told this is a REAL FUR JACKET. With coyotes etched into the back!

Is it truly real fur? Can someone tell me what type of fur it is? Mink?

How do you do this kind of etching on real fur? More importantly...where can I get a jacket like this?

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uz50_5GL4E0/TUc4_1nJLlI/AAAAAAAAABQ/XwE0rIcbAfY/s1600/man+fur+wolves+.jpg[/image]

LOL, no, that's not real fur.

are you sure? What is that, then?

Is it possible to do patterns like that on real fur?

It is possible to etch patterns into fur (coats) using laser etching. Whether or not a photo or image can be etched is not known to me. I know patterns can be etched such as hounds tooth.

Not 100% sure but I think it's faux.

In order to create such an image in real fur, skin would have to be cut and sewn together like the way pictures are created from stained glass. Not impossible but complicated and time consuming, not to mention expensive.

However, with mechanized looms or weaving machines, patterns can be created on a computer then downloaded to a weaving machine and it will spit out patterned fabric (even plush fabric) by the mile. It's not a difficult proposition to cut and sew the whole cloth into a jacket of any design you want. Much faster, less complicated and WAY cheaper.

I suppose that designs like that could be laser etched, bleached or dyed into real fur but, again, at what expense?

By the way... Look at the visible seams at the wearer's left shoulder and along the collar.

90% + sure giveaway that it's faux fur that has been cut, whole cloth, and sewn into a jacket.

Not 100% sure but I think it's faux.

In order to create such an image in real fur, skin would have to be cut and sewn together like the way pictures are created from stained glass. Not impossible but complicated and time consuming, not to mention expensive.

However, with mechanized looms or weaving machines, patterns can be created on a computer then downloaded to a weaving machine and it will spit out patterned fabric (even plush fabric) by the mile. It's not a difficult proposition to cut and sew the whole cloth into a jacket of any design you want. Much faster, less complicated and WAY cheaper.

I suppose that designs like that could be laser etched, bleached or dyed into real fur but, again, at what expense?

By the way... Look at the visible seams at the wearer's left shoulder and along the collar.

90% + sure giveaway that it's faux fur that has been cut, whole cloth, and sewn into a jacket.

Thanks for your insights! Especially the insights about the visible seams on the wearer's left shoulder and along the collar.

I am not sure if it is real or faux---I was just told, very assuredly, that it was real fur.

But I was told with certainty that the pattern was created using "laser etching". I am not sure what that entails, or even what that means. What I thought was it was "bleaching"...using light to bleach away the pattern...onto black mink fur?!?! My guess, though.

I know the jacket is extremely high cost, but that doesn't mean it's real fur.

If someone can figure out where or who makes this jacket, mystery solved!!! I want a tiger's face pattern!

I Have a jacket That has almost the same pattern and my artificial furs .

I've never seen real fur with the type of pattern

http://www.wildwings.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_multiBuy.php?catid=WOLFJACKET

http://www.everythingwolf.com/shop/productslist.aspx?CategoryID=40

In those hoodies, the wolf pattern is colored. it is definitely faux-fur! if the material is fuzzy.

There are two things that differentiate the jacket I posted in the original post:

1. It is a single-color "greyish-white" pattern, on a black background. Believable for some sort of "etching".

2. It's definitely a pattern imposed on a background...not a print as the entire background...

Although, this one is a good candidate:

http://www.wildwings.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_itemBuy.php?itemid=8247877102

Also, I was told those were "coyotes" in the original jacket, not wolves.

EDIT: Yeah, this is definitely the same pattern

http://www.wildwings.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_itemBuy.php?itemid=8247877102

Maybe I was misinformed when I was told it was real fur! Damn, I was hoping it was! I'd never wear cheap faux

Not positive but I suppose such a pattern could be laser etched.

Imagine a machine that is like a giant, industrial laser printer that uses a beam to accurately heat or burn the material to create a patterned image. However, that machine would have to either burn away some of the material or heat it in such a way as to change its color, perhaps with a light sensitive dye embedded in the material. Quite possible but I have no idea about the practical application of such a process.

Dyeing or bleaching could be accomplished by using stencils to apply chemicals to the material. It could also be an airbrushed (painted on) design. Computerized machines like an industrial version of an inkjet printer could be used. Again, practical matters are out of my range.

The easiest way would be, as I mentioned, a computerized weaving machine. I know such things exist and are used, frequently, to make patterned fabric in almost any design that can be created on a computer then downloaded to the machine. I have seen plush fabric items like Teddy Bears which have spots and stripes woven into them. I have also seen pictorial designs in plush fabric like blankets, throws and pillows. It's not difficult to imagine such a thing could be made into a jacket.

As to the idea of "faux = never," I mostly agree but not 100%.

I have several items made from faux. Teddy Bears are the major exception. Bears are nice things to have. Although real fur Bears are great, plush is the definitive material for making Bears. Expense, tolerance to wear and cleanability are major factors in choosing materials for Bears.

I also have a few faux fur pillows and throws. Again, they are "general use" items that might need to be cleaned and are subject to more intensive wear than I care to subject real fur to.

A really good use for faux fur is as a base for other furry activities.

If you are going to play with fur in bed, it is good to put a faux blanket on the bed and lay on top of it while using other, real fur as the "main event." As we all know, sex is messy and real fur is hard to clean. Having a cleanable fur underneath to keep other furs from getting dirty is a good idea in my book.

However, for fur coats, its real fur or nothing!

There are rugs similar to what you are thinking about but they are made from pieces of fur sewn together. I have seen one coat like this but it was about a decade ago.

$_46.JPG

I am not saying here if this is faux or real. But two things.

The first, is that many people see "Clean using fur method only" on a coat and assume that means it is real fur for certain. But what they do not realize is that it is a 100% clue that it is faux fur and not real.

Secondly. some times fur like this has a zipper but not often. Often times folks buy such an item of faux in order to use as they see the zipper as making it "Unisex" which of course it does. No guarantees, but if it had a zipper probably more likely to be faux but by NO MEANS does that mean that it is not real. Only a hint it might not be.

Lastly though is the clue very expensive. I think that a faux jacket like this might probably be relatively inexpensive. Expense is of course all in people's minds, and maybe if you talked to the fellow and he said it was very expensive, he had heard that from a previous owner who was older and was just not thinking in proper terms as to fur prices. But this I think is a good clue that it might just be real. What we need here is some input from Kostas Mailon on this. He is probably the only one who MIGHT be able to solve this. I think that the biggest clue here might be in the fur length. Definitely too long for sheared beaver. Really looks too long for sheared mink though MIGHT be that. Not sure what is left.

But I agree with Worker. Don't totally discount the idea faux. CHEAP faux yes, But some of the more expensive has a real nice feel to it, and can for instance be warn when it is still too warm for real fur. I often wear it that way and other members here have mentioned the same thing.