NOT 'The Cruel Side Of Fur'

alphonso

Hello

This new topic is in response to the topic 'The Cruel Side of Fur'. I feel that particular thread is damaging to the image of the fur industry (and The Fur Den) and I hope is not representative of the majority opinion here on this site. Imagine if an animal rights activist quoted it directly on a television show. Cruella was invented by Disney specifically to pedal his point of view (as was the talking fox in Mary Poppins) that we should all wear sandals and go vegan.

I expect fur to be produced responsibly and that the farms concerned should have high ethical standards with respect to their animal husbandry. Fur is wonderful, but should not be taken for granted. Do you agree? Please stand up and be counted.

Hi! Totally get where your coming from. I agree the idea of fur wearers as evil cruella types is a false idea created by society. That's why in the thread I started I labeled it as a fantasy. I feel fur, like any animal product is simply a natural use of the resources provided for us (hence fur farm), it's just that fantasies by definition do not align with reality. I think we could definitely agree on that point. Fur is a tradition, its a renewable resource, it helps control populations, and it (when purchased carefully) is an important american product. I'm sure we can definitely agree on these points. As to your others, not as much. Cruella was not created with an anti fur message. I love the film 101 dalmatians, for its jazzy and loose animation style as well as the themes of fur and have seen it many times. In the introductory scene of Cruella the message is not anti-fur. Anita, the protagonist and owner of the dogs compliments Cruella's fur and specifically states that she too would love a fur!

The ant-fur movement did not even exist at the time of the movie's 1961 release date! The message still was bad though, it basically said an independent woman with money was lesser than a woman who placed her self value in a man, but that doesn't matter too much to this topic. See the Lady is a Vamp: the Cultural Politics of Fur. Even in the 1995 version anita herself is pro fur again! She works at Cruella's fur centered fashion company and even designs the fur coat cruella tries to make in puppy skin! The only practice the movie condemns is kidnapping and killing people's pets, which no one here is adocating for! Anyways, as for the hypothetical animal rights activist quoting us, we probably shouldn't worry. If you do a "google news" search, you will find no mention of the Fur Den in any news source ever, as it is a relatively obscure site beyond our community. The same can be said for the furfashionguide (RIP), which only has been quoted once in a 2009 blog post http://blog.sfgate.com/pets/2009/11/18/do-you-wear-fur/ that did not take things out of context and instead gave a level view. If we're worried about angering activists we should just shut down the site now. In conclusion, I get your concern, but it is somewhat unwarranted and I feel there is a place for the cruel side of fur (as a fantasy) on this site.

Hi.

Thank you for clarifying your position. I accept that for you the thread is intended as a fantasy. Also I shall watch 101 Dalmations with greater scrutiny at the next opportunity. However I still feel that it is a risky topic, as rogue contributors may seek to promote crossing the line. Apparently there are already videos out there for people who 'get off' on such things and I am not talking about salting slugs. If that behaviour became associated with the fur industry it would be manna from heaven for PETA.

I am not a fan of actual animal cruelty obviously, I have three pets at home, and I do see how we are walking a line. However, I trust that the members of the furden will not cross that line, and if they do it will be done without support. Also I looked up the Mary Poppins fox and you are right about disney peddling ideas in that case. Thanks for posting this though, I think discussion of these topics is really valuable.

My love for furs has been with me since I can remember but I only had a few encounters with real furs. It was around Christmas time when I passed a fur salon in the mall. I was nervous but I had to go in as I had never seen such beautiful furs except on TV and in magazines. I was greeted by an older lady who asked me if she could help me. I simply asked if I could touch a fur. I was sure she was going to give me the boot as I was way to young to afford a fur and I was alone. In the end I felt a few furs and another lady who was shopping for a fur thought I was sweet. The shop owner told me if I liked furs so much to come back in a few years and buy a coat! I spent about fifteen minutes in the company of some nice people who made me feel relaxed as I was introduced to the wonderful world of furs. I find it disturbing that people who like fur are portrayed as cruel greedy people BUT if you have violent, gruesome TV shows where people harm and kill PEOPLE for whatever reason it's entertainment. I won't mention the NEWS or GAMES or the real life insane things people or groups do to each other. I would NEVER harm anyone or make any living creature suffer BUT fur lovers are cruel? WTF?

I don't think this is getting out of hand. Everyone here has shared differing opinions but they are well though out and not argumentative. I totally understand where Alphonso is coming from and I think what he said raises important and valid discussion points.

While I understand Dappleboy's point of view, I for one, do not think either of these 2 related topics need moderation at this time. I am personally opposed to cruelty to animals, but what I see here is expression and discussion of opinion and fantasy rather than any advocacy of cruelty.

It is a credit to the forum and the contributors here that a respectful discussion is taking place.

We all have dodgy fantasies. It's called 'the monkey mind'. I just thought it would be prudent to offer some opportunity to bring some balance to that particular thread as it did seem to be riding high in the 'charts' so to speak. I seem to remember PETA making a statement about foxes being killed by 'anal electrode'. Where did they get that idea from?

A personal comment. Killing animals is an emotional and complex subject. I prefer to leave the killing to the industry professionals and personally find that to relish it is a little distasteful. Having said that sport hunting is a different and more complex kettle of fish. Again I think where it involves knowledgeable professionals and where there is a cultural entitlement that has been passed down the generations then I cannot really see how it can be criticised. However for me shooting big game from a helicopter would cross the line. However it is difficult to see exactly where you draw the line.

The important thing is to be thankful for the wonderful fur that you have got.

Collection

XL Blue fox stroller

XXL Shadow fox stroller

Arctic fox hat

Blue fox stole

Red fox tails

Silver fox tails

Sold Red fox full length coat.

Brandi Silver fox full length coat (featured in some photo shoots)

Agreed! I don't like looking cold hearted. I love my dog and I love all animals. Just I'm okay in taking the fact of life and death and believe using animals for our own use as fine and dandy so long as it's done as ethical as possible.