Language barriers

Marcel

The poor german's and dutch's has not got a place to go to now then FFG is down.

Don't understand why these and french folks can't learn english,then i can.

How about a section for them and maybe even asian folks?

You would ofcourse hire some mods for that.

For once Tryxie has some good points.

I too doubt Matt would want to merge with this site - he has a good site with an active community.

The main reason we have not offered full support of non-english languages is that none of the staff understand those languages, so moderation would be extremely difficult. We do include some language packs for translation of phpBB's standard text, but some of them might be out of date.

Just tosing ideas!

Then we have Sven aka woolfreaks,not admin at Woolspace any more.

He could moderate both wool and an german section,if he want the job that is.

Will he want to merge?

Why not keep his own identity?

What can we offer him to do so? This patient is in intensive care and may yet still die, remember.

your right,maybe a thing for the future.

We have a small community and we should be under the same roof.

If we did setup additional forums for non-english languages, how should that area be organized By language, or by region

The Dutch speak English perfectly fine. I don't think we need a special part of the forum. Not a lot of people used it anyway on FFG.

just so you know. I am not totally against this idea with one exception.

The French Fur Forum has a really good group going and even meets yearly, etc. We get along really well in fact with them. I would NOT want to cut in on them. But might we want a group of another language?

That is up to You folks. We would need someone who was ready to take it over and oversee it. Our staff do a great job here in the English area. But, they would not have the time to start translating another area and keeping it clean, etc.

I am not saying no by any means. In fact I have often thought of it myself. Greek for instance? But, I am not sure that we have the ability right now to carry it out successfully staff wise.

W

I would be in favor of an international language section if there is enough people who want it.

The extent of my personal experience with languages comes from 20 years of projecting and watching foreign movies with subtitles. I speak a smattering of Spanish but, for the rest, translate.google.com is my friend.

We would need a mod who is conversational in other languages, if not a native speaker.

Anyhow, this ideas is percolating in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
What do you think about merging Matt's site http://www.fourrureclub.com/ into this?

Once again, Marcel, ask me directly by mail when you have that kind of ideas

FourrureClub's is up since 15 years, nearly 4000 members, and the most important : it has his own identity, with very special initiatives and choices, such as our meeting (la Convention du FourrureClub), photo galeries only with members photos, a blog with rich content for fur lovers, etc. So the answer is no merging.

Marcel, I'm not angry with you, but pleeeeaaaase, feel free to mail me in this sort of cases, I'll reply with great pleasure (if you accept my level of english), or even tell me "hey Matt, come on this post to discuss with us", every idea is worth a reading

As always, I deeply appreciate the kind messages of White Fox. My friend, the only advice I would give is : do what your members want, if it's not in conflict with the goals you choose for TheFurDen. It means : do a greek forum if greek readers ask for it. I did a lot of personnal initiatives on FourrureClub, thinking what people want without asking before, it was a waste of time

While I personally appreciate the offer, I think our memberships are sufficiently different that it might not work out. Unless I am mistaken, the Fourrureclub has mostly European members and theFurDen has mostly North American members. What each group is looking for in an online fur community can be very different and what website administrators are willing to provide and allow to be posted can differ greatly. Thus I think the fur community is best served by there being multiple fur oriented websites so that people have options as to what websites they wish to browse and participate on.

I congratulate Matt on having a very successful website for 15 years. " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

...Unless I am mistaken, the Fourrureclub has mostly European members and theFurDen has mostly North American members. What each group is looking for in an online fur community can be very different...

Of course, I forgot this argument which is very important !

And many many thanks for your congratulations, that touches me really