Gallery re-organization

White Fox

Folks...

We DO realize that our Gallery needs to be re-organized here. For a number of reasons it is hard to go to something different than Coppermine. For one thing just the amount of work to transfer the data is huge. All kinds of reasons.

BUT...

This does not forbid our re-organizing it. We would like to know your thoughts on this. For instance should all of the Old Fur Twins albums be rolled into fashion? Should any other albums be split up in any way? I caution that to start to do major re-organization of an album with 5,000 photographs in it is not easy! But over a period of time many things are certainly possible.

Should Mr Mockle's old area be all placed into the Fetish Forum? This places all similar photographs together. BUT! It also means albums of one model are integrated with those of another.

The one rule we have to live by unfortunately is that there be no XXX photographs in the Gallery. But otherwise feel free to look around in there! Give us suggestions. Let your minds run wild.

We would love to hear your ideas.

White Fox

I think there could be an archive section with the way it is now and then start a new section for any new pictures from here on out.

No need for user and what type of fur sections,uploaders name is under the picture and your trained eye see what kind of fur it is.

Wish for a Fashion section with decade subs like 30's-50's,60's-70's,the 80's and 90's to modern.

Wish for a Fashion section with decade subs like 30's-50's,60's-70's,the 80's and 90's to modern.
That would require a new category with probably an album for each decade.

For something a bit similar, you might look at our archive of Fur Babe's old site where the Grosvenor collection is organized by year.

I'm new to this site and I hope that doesn't diminish my thoughts on the photo galleries. I kind of enjoy the layout. It makes me reminisce to those good ol' days when I used to hang out on the NTCweb and Beautiful Furs. I do agree that the galleries could use a lot more pictures but not at the cost of removing some of the really old photos that are so hard to come by. Its nice to see some fur photos that are a little more atypical from websites like facebook, tumblr, flickr and yahoo groups.

I want to give you folks a chance to reply. But Marcel, I am afraid that you are right. By that I mean that I doubt that our folks who separate out all of the photographs would know which decade that each were from. I like the idea but I am just not sure if is possible from a knowledge standpoint. We get thousands upon thousands of photographs. And each one would need to be looked at individually. I am not saying "No" by any means. Just pointing out the difficulty.

Agreed - A better link between gallery and forum would help with a seamless site.

Also, I have close to 10,000 pics I can upload if we need more content. (Only fox fur and angora though )

-Regards

The hoarder

Tryxie...

There is a button to the Library, the Index, and to Links plus one to change the style. It is located just above the green text. We did have one right at the top but it was ugly, and almost always I think was missed as it was too high so we took it off just a very short while back.

Let me see what I can do. Maybe I can enlarge the one that is above he green now. And put it way up closer to the top. There really is not a lot of room for such things in our Gallery. The text on top is really another Category with no albums in it. It is really cheating to do that. But it works. But not much html works in there. I don't know why but sometimes you can enlarge text in there and sometimes it just does not work.

That is a good idea. I don't think we can have a "Button" of sorts, though our tech folks can surprise me. But I do think that we can improve what we do have if we try, to make it so that it is easier to spot. Heading off tonight but will try to get at it some time soon.

W

You are NOT "stranded" in the Gallery - you can use the HOME button and then look for the "Main Forums Index" link to return to the forums.

As White Fox said we did have a link in the page header, but removed it. Would a link in a page footer be useful

I'd like to see some of the original, specific stand-alone albums stay separate (e.g. Grosvenor, Mr. Mockle's, Kappa's, etc.). Perhaps the more general ones could be reorganized.

its like 20 feet to the bottom of the page, you can grow old scrolling
Agreed, it was just a suggestion for discussion.

What about a "return to browsing history" tab? That way if members are poking through the galleries and take a break they don't have to scroll through countless pages of images to pick up from where they left off in the likely event that they can't remember where they were last the next time they access the site. All our users would have to do is press that tab and they'll be rerouted to their last activity in the galleries.

What about a "return to browsing history" tab?
A nice idea, but such a plugin for the Coppermine software does not currently exist. Further, I think such a facility might be difficult to develop for situations like ours where forums software is used to validate the user's access.

I will do my best to try and figure out decades at least. It's not too hard, though the late 70's to early 80's can be a bit tricky!

I took the red and green colours out of the information area. The problem went back to the fact that I had forgotten that many people use a different "Theme".

It is MUCH harder to read now in our default theme. But easier in some of the others.

In other words as often happens we are beat no matter what we do.

W

I will do my best to try and figure out decades at least. It's not too hard, though the late 70's to early 80's can be a bit tricky!

Thank you,it don't have to be perfect.

The two home buttons I see on the gallery only redirect me back to the gallery. however the "main forum index" button takes me where I'd like to go.

The two home buttons I see on the gallery only redirect me back to the gallery. however the "main forum index" button takes me where I'd like to go.

Yea, we probably need to re-establish the page header. Any ideas on how it should look Please keep in mind that looking good in all themes is probably impossible due to the different CSS files used by the various themes.

Just use one theme
I agree but opinions differ on what is the "better looking" and easier to use theme. That is how we wound up with a theme that hides the "Upload Files" button.

Just use one theme, people will get used to it. To much choice isn't always a good thing. Ease of use ease of maintenance must be the priority here.

+1

The ideal way would be to have a database where photos would get tagged with their attributes like type of fur, male, female, nude, the date, etc. Then users could search on various criterion. But that would be a lot of work for photos already uploaded, probably would have to be prospective only.

The ideal way would be to have a database where photos would get tagged with their attributes.... Then users could search on various criterion.
That would be ideal, but not easy to establish or hook into the Gallery.

We do have title, caption, and keyword fields that uploaders could fill in that are searchable.

Yea, I realize it would be a lot of work to implement unfortunately. What I found on FFG and many other sites was that it was very difficult to find specific photos. Another issue was duplicates but it wasn't too bad on FFG.