burning fur to test it. WHAT is NEXT!

White Fox

I can't believe that these instructions are all over the net now. To test if a coat is real fur take a small patch and burn it. WHY would ANYONE ever recommend crap like that! You see all of these instructions on identifying real fur vs faux everywhere.

Yet all you need to do is to stick a needle or pin through the back of the fur. If it goes through easily it is fake fur. If it takes a pair of pliers to shove it through the fur backing, or almost takes such, then it is real fur.

I can't believe the stupidity of this "Burning the fur" stuff. Even IF it made sense to burn it, if someone didn't know the difference they would not understand what they were looking for anyhow. Talk about stupid instructions!

How about LOOKING at it from ten feet away?

It would take any intelligent person about 0.68 seconds to tell the difference!

How about LOOKING at it...
Worker is correct. Anyone who has ANY experience with fur only needs to look at the item - however 10 feet away might be a bit far for some.

Okay, I was exaggerating... You only need nine feet.

Seriously, one need only touch the fur to be able to tell the difference. Synthetic fibers are solid where individual hairs on a genuine fur may be hollow or, at least, have a different texture that is virtually impossible to mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

It is probably a PETA asshole (sorry for the language). The interesting thing about burning fur or hair, it that once a little bit is on fire, it takes off in all directions. NO, I HAVE NEVER PUT A MATCH TO FUR! As kids, my sister and I thought it "would be cool" to light some fur/hair that we brushed off our dog on fire. NOTE: his hair was in a pile on the the floor in our garage, NOT on our dog! We lit it, and it almost erupted! I think a PETA person may have put up the "helpful instructions" knowing that fur burns RAPIDLY! You are right WF, you can spot fake from real without even touching it.

Well, this idea of burning pertains to the fact that fur is organic matter and like hair, it is essentially made up of proteins. The same idea is found in testing silk. In India or China, when you are shopping for silk, the sellers take a single thread and burn it and make you smell it. And then they say, "See, it smells like fried egg, hence it MUST BE the real deal."